Post-Game Talk: Well at least last few minutes was fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 262271

This group is in panic mode in every thread, too ****ing much for me to handle

200.gif
Day after a bad loss, to be expected. We got spoiled for a while on that win streak and even then there was complaining, ha.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Your first and second points contradict each other. And this team's been playing like trash for a while relying on a goalie to bail them out even in wins.

I don't see it.
Your latter sentence is exactly what I said in point #1
#2 is about one building in the league where we have trouble, for some reason.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I liked keeping Uncle Leo on the fourth line to be honest. Think our PK misses him and he did bring an edge, so long as he was out on 4th line, couldn't see him in the lineup hurting us. Just saying.

Same, but more fourth line for me.

Either way, not at the contract he's on now though.

Reactions: mavis

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
You could see a game like this coming, the past 4 or 5 games the leafs have been garbage.. Got outplayed by SJ and won, Same thing against Minnesota and against Buffalo. They need to start playing a full 60 mins of a game instead of playing only 25-30 mins of the game.

Hopefully them getting fed their lunch is something that was needed to wake them up and get them to start playing like how a contender should be playing.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It's not even about having more players that will fight.
We need to increase the number of guys that consistently are willing to battle, take a hit to make a play, backcheck and commit to playing defense.
We shouldn't go anywhere near trades that involve us giving up way too much skill in a attempt to just get tougher but we need 2 to maybe 3 more guys who can play but bring a different element, one we're currently deficient in.

Take this kid on SJ Sorensen for example. Everytime I watch them play the guy is skating mach 10 speed, forechecking, relentless on the puck and being physical.
He's only 5'11 175lbs but looks to play much bigger because of his playstyle and fantastic intensity.
His offensive numbers aren't great but I would take this guy on my team anyday of the week.
Not saying we need this exact player but we need to aquire a few more guys that approach the game like that.

Getting pretty much no physicality from Marleau, Brown, Ennis, Lindholm really hurts the lineup. Our core is always going to be on the non physical side and having the depth forwards bring limited physicality and bringing mediocre intensity makes the problem even worse.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's not even about having more players that will fight.
We need to increase the number of guys that consistently are willing to battle, take a hit to make a play, backcheck and commit to playing defense.
We shouldn't go anywhere near trades that involve us giving up way too much skill in a attempt to just get tougher but we need 2 to maybe 3 more guys who can play but bring a different element, one we're currently deficient in.

Take this kid on SJ Sorensen for example. Everytime I watch them play the guy is skating mach 10 speed, forechecking, relentless on the puck and being physical.
He's only 5'11 175lbs but looks to play much bigger because of his playstyle and fantastic intensity.
His offensive numbers aren't great but I would take this guy on my team anyday of the week.
Not saying we need this exact player but we need to aquire a few more guys that approach the game like that.

Getting pretty much no physicality from Marleau, Brown, Ennis, Lindholm really hurts the lineup. Our core is always going to be on the non physical side and having the depth forwards bring limited physicality and intensity makes the problem even worse.

Kronwalls “boarding” on Matthews is a good example of core players taking a hit to make a play. The core players do that fairly often and are usually decent on the forecheck. Need more consistency but this isn’t a problem that we need new personnel to fix. The players we have can grow into the game and be more consistent.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We need to step back and not over analyze. Yes, we could use some more physicality. Also true, it wasn't a lack of hitting and grit that cost us the Boston series, it was a young core against an experienced team. Once we settled into that series we skated laps around them , they had no answer for OUR game.

We lost because they were a seasoned playoff team and we were initially overwhelmed. We didn't lost because of style or lack of grit.

Remember how last year we blew third period leads with regularity? Notice this year, we are undefeated when holding a lead in the third? Didn't worry about that last year and argued we we simply figuring out how to win, how to hold a lead, gaining experience and growing. I expect the same from the playoffs this year, we will be ready.

Add some toughness, agree, but I believe this team as constructed can do some serious damage.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
What? So you want a 4th line centre playing against Marchand, Krug and Pastrnak? And Matthews is plenty fast.

Doesn't matter how you classify the help. It's obvious at this point that Matthews, Tavares and Kadri are unable to contain them.

Remember last season an ageing Tomas Plekanec was the best overall center for the leafs in the playoffs and had some success against Bergeron.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I guess nobody's really "playin em hard" too often then since they're 2nd overall in the league.
If you can't tell the difference between a team that leans on us, and finishes checks, to team that doesn't. And how we respond to it, then you aren't watching close enough.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
If you can't tell the difference between a team that leans on us, and finishes checks, to team that doesn't. And how we respond to it, then you aren't watching close enough.

If you really think that "toughness" is the Leafs problem, I'm afraid it's you who is not watching closely enough.

Reactions: AreBe

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Leafs are like 11-7 against them since drafting Matthews, and they won against them like 2 weeks ago. I don't see why they'd have trouble with them

I don't mean we can't beat them, I mean they always seem to pull out an absolute smashing every once in a while.

Maybe I just hate playing them.

Maybe I just hate them.

:laugh:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Leafs took Boston to game 7 despite being outplayed and out-classed
Babcock 's line matching strategy did not work - at all
Boston gets them off their game and eliminates their strengths
Babcock needs to adapt

Status
Not open for further replies.