Welcome to TED Talk Too - Tempe Approves TED 7-0 - Public to vote 5/16/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm guessing it's going to be pretty hard to mount a strong opposition campaign with how unanimously the council and chamber of commerce are behind the project, especially if the airport is taking a step back. You'd have to be really motivated to fight against these odds IMO. I know you guys aren't used to having nice things, but this is looking pretty good :thumbu:

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I'm guessing it's going to be pretty hard to mount a strong opposition campaign with how unanimously the council and chamber of commerce are behind the project, especially if the airport is taking a step back. You'd have to be really motivated to fight against these odds IMO. I know you guys aren't used to having nice things, but this is looking pretty good :thumbu:
That’s what I’m thinking. All the coyotes need to send people is:

Approved by chamber of commerce: check
Approved by city council: check
Saves the coyotes: check

The only people who will vote against this are the wacko nimby’s who also complain about any noise that happens near ASU’s campus

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
The only people who will vote against this are the wacko nimby’s who also complain about any noise that happens near ASU’s campus
And that's another beauty of the location - in the SE quadrant, almost all of the few people who do live on the south side of Rio Salado Parkway west of Ash are renters, as are almost all of the people living on 1st Street, one block south. If I own an apartment complex there, it'll just get more fun to live in. Cha ching.

In the other 3 quadrants, all you have is the Rio Salado itself, and some commercial/industrial property.

There's almost no one left to complain.

Ideally the noisy people will get outvoted like 70-30 or better in any referendum, and that'll be it for decades.

Reactions: Grimes

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Will there be anything else on the ballot? These off cycle votes tend to have light turnout and thus attract mostly the passionate...either for or against.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
And that's another beauty of the location - in the SE quadrant, almost all of the few people who do live on the south side of Rio Salado Parkway west of Ash are renters, as are almost all of the people living on 1st Street, one block south. If I own an apartment complex there, it'll just get more fun to live in. Cha ching.

In the other 3 quadrants, all you have is the Rio Salado itself, and some commercial/industrial property.

There's almost no one left to complain.

Ideally the noisy people will get outvoted like 70-30 or better in any referendum, and that'll be it for decades.
Not to mention all the young folks who live out there aren’t gonna be thinking about taxes or whatever, they’ll see a nice shiny entertainment district going on top of a landfill and vote yes

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Would be great if they could come up with some lake extension renders to go with the TED vote.

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
New apartment/development approved my Tempe City Council - near TED site.

Modera is putting that same thing in my neighborhood, too. Across from the Epicenter development that was just completed. Gilbert looks very different than it once did.

Reactions: Summer Rose

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Modera is putting that same thing in my neighborhood, too. Across from the Epicenter development that was just completed. Gilbert looks very different than it once did.

This was Gilbert when I first visited in the early 80s. Did some quail hunting there.

1670259444918.png

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
This was Gilbert when I first visited in the early 80s. Did some quail hunting there.
What's weird about that photo is...it looks like they had cleared land for the Loop 202 at the lower right already...but construction on that wouldn't start in earnest for another 20 years. I know this because I lived next to where the 202 eventually went through between Alma School and Dobson, but by that time there were neighborhoods on both sides, and only Arrowhead crossed the future freeway.

what a difference 40 years makes: Google Maps

Yesterday a friend of mine who lives in San Diego posted a clip of a landing jet from a co-worker who had come into town and was staying at a Motel 6 right next to east end of the runway (check google maps)...it would be like if someone put a Motel 6 in the Salt River bed due south of the east economy garage - that's how close it is :eek3: ... when it's done, we're gonna laugh that the location of TED was ever a concern for Sky Harbor.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
BTW…. Meruelo’s Sierra Grand Resort in Reno sits right off the north end of the runway at Reno International.

The airport’s ILS system sits on top of the hotel tower. (Saw it with my own eyes once when I was on the roof)

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
It feels like we've got the richest owner in the NHL (I know he's not) with all the investments, money & commitments Meruelo is making. His pockets seem bottomless right now lol.

After what we'Ve gotten used to, this is impressive.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
@Dirty Old Man
(Hint: Meruelo agreed to defend them at his cost if residents file noise suits against the airport)
Yeah, saw it. And I mean, if you move there, how you'd ever win a noise suit is beyond me...

Reminded me of when I first started working in Chandler on South Price Road. There was a dairy farm along Dobson Rd, that had big signs aimed at residential developers, saying "We're never moving! Expect agricultural aromas! Don't say we didn't warn you!....also c'mon in with the kids for a hay ride!" ... and sure enough, when the wind blew from the SW, for years I knew it...but sadly the owner had health problems, and his kids understandably didn't want to be dairy farmers, so it's gone without a trace now.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah, saw it. And I mean, if you move there, how you'd ever win a noise suit is beyond me...

Reminded me of when I first started working in Chandler on South Price Road. There was a dairy farm along Dobson Rd, that had big signs aimed at residential developers, saying "We're never moving! Expect agricultural aromas! Don't say we didn't warn you!....also c'mon in with the kids for a hay ride!" ... and sure enough, when the wind blew from the SW, for years I knew it...but sadly the owner had health problems, and his kids understandably didn't want to be dairy farmers, so it's gone without a trace now.

All potential residents will be required to sign a document making them aware they’re going to be living under an airport flight path.

It’s part of Arizona’s disclosure law.

You’ll still get “that guy” every once in a while who will sue anyway (staring over at Jakey… 😂)

• Haha
Reactions: Grimes and Kaizen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All potential residents will be required to sign a document making them aware they’re going to be living under an airport flight path.

It’s part of Arizona’s disclosure law.

You’ll still get “that guy” every once in a while who will sue anyway (staring over at Jakey… 😂)
To begin with, I wouldn't live there, and if I did and I sign such document, I wouldn't waste my time and money suing, I would just move. Sorry to disappoint.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Are the airport folks going to send another letter to Tempe citizens to say everything is cool now? That would only be fair after the scare tactics they tried to pull off a couple months ago :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad