Boston Sports Journal Weighing the cost, challenges for Bruins in a potential Jack Eichel blockbuster trade

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If we could get Eichel for a deal like what Dallas gave up for Sequin I would do it, not many Chiarelli's out there though, but for me Carlo, Pasta, McAvoy and Studnicka are off the table.

Reactions: Strafer and sarge88

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would not want to deal Studnicka, I would instead offer Frederic or Beecher and then one of Zboril, Senyshen or Vaak.

If I'm not getting Boston's best prospect (by far IMO) in Studnicka than I'm not sending Eichel to the Bruins. Neither Frederic or Beecher are in the same class of prospect as Studnicka.

Zboril and Senyshyn have practically no trade value being both need to clear waivers next season. I'm not even sure Vaak has all that much. Basically you want to give Buffalo a bunch of low B(Frederic/Beecher/Vaak)-high C (Zboril/Senyshyn) level prospects so you don't have to give up your one A-level guy in Studnicka.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Hard no for me. Pasta is better and paid less.

Over the last 3 year's they are pretty close in production

Pasta - 218GP / 1.17 PGP
Eichel - 212GP / 1.06 PGP

Eichel also doesn't have nearly the talent on his line that Pasta has and his two most common linemates over the last 3 seasons are Sam Reinhart and Jeff Skinner. Now while Pasta is cheaper, he's only signed for 3 more years and then he becomes a UFA. On the flip side Eichel is signed for 6 more years. I'm not saying I'd do it or that one is better than the other, but that's something that would get Buffalo's attention.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Trade pieces aside, with his focus on character, I also wonder if Sweeney would really want to integrate someone who was labeled as a "brooding superstar, a general manager and coach killer who’d throw his own grandmother under the bus."

with the leadership this team has, he’d be fine..

Reactions: Saxon Eric

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
There is no way I would deal Pasta for Eichel. Without Pasta's goal production the Bs would be in trouble. He essentially was a 50 goal scorer this past season, and getting better. He makes a lot less than Eichel, which allows the Bs more cap room. Also, Pasta has proven that he can put up points in the playoffs, slightly over a point per game player in the playoffs. Not Eichel's fault, but he is a big unknown as a playoff player. Eichel is a hell of a player, but so is Pasta. Plus, the Bs already are in need of another true scoring winger. Losing one of the elite wingers in the league is not a step in the right direction to address team needs.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
Bad idea all around. Too many high quality pieces going out for one piece coming back. Leaves too many holes to fill in the team.

Also, it makes no sense to bring in Eichel and his salary without sending out Bergeron or Krecji. Too much salary and not enough ice time for those three on one team.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
There is no way I would deal Pasta for Eichel. Without Pasta's goal production the Bs would be in trouble. He essentially was a 50 goal scorer this past season, and getting better. He makes a lot less than Eichel, which allows the Bs more cap room. Also, Pasta has proven that he can put up points in the playoffs, slightly over a point per game player in the playoffs. Not Eichel's fault, but he is a big unknown as a playoff player. Eichel is a hell of a player, but so is Pasta. Plus, the Bs already are in need of another true scoring winger. Losing one of the elite wingers in the league is not a step in the right direction to address team needs.

Yes Pasta is an elite goal scoring winger, he also gets slightly over 40% of his production via the PP. Here's the thing I think you have to think about. How much better is Pasta because of who he plays with? Idk that answer, but there will come a day when he won't have linemates at the same level. Does Pasta keep producing at the same rate? Again, idk the answer.

You know what Eichel can do with lesser talent and good teams are built down the middle. Im not saying I'd do the deal, but I don't quickly dismiss the idea either. Again Pasta is a UFA in 3 years. Whats that context going to look like? He'll have every team in the NHL calling with offers.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
So, what say you?​

Would you pull the trigger on a move like this?

Boston Gets: Jack Eichel
Buffalo Gets: Brandon Carlo, Jake DeBrusk, Jack Studnicka, Urho Vaakanainen, 2021 1st-Round Pick, 2022 2nd-Round Pick

THIS deal? No way. I might offer this instead:

• Brandon Carlo OR Jake DeBrusk.
Plus:​

• Jack Studnicka OR Urho Vaakanainen.

• 2021 OR 2022 First Round pick.

It’s kind of a lowball offer that’s probably STILL too good, but if Buffalo really wants to trade Eichel, and he really wants to come here, they might have to take it. And let’s be honest... how great is he REALLY? Good for 50 goals per year? Nope. Before this year, he never cracked 30. I think my offer is as good as I could stomach, and I think that would be more than fair to a division rival for a disgruntled center/30-goal scorer.

Take it or leave it.

EDIT: Any mention of David Pastranak by Buffalo would result in my immediately hanging up without so much as a goodbye and the removal of the draft pick from the offer.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

It’s kind of a lowball offer that’s probably STILL too good, but if Buffalo really wants to trade Eichel, and he really wants to come here, they might have to take it. And let’s be honest... how great is he REALLY? Good for 50 goals per year? Nope. Before this year, he never cracked 30. I think my offer is as good as I could stomach, and I think that would be more than fair to a division rival for a disgruntled center/30-goal scorer.

Take it or leave it.

EDIT: Any mention of David Pastranak by Buffalo would result in my immediately hanging up without so much as a goodbye and the removal of the draft pick from the offer.

if you could get Eichel for that, you’d do it 7 days a week and not think twice about it.

Eichel is 23 and putting up damm good numbers, kid is a star.

I think we’re overrating some of our players because they wear the spoked B.

you know who’s never cracked 30? krecji

Reactions: Estlin

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Take it or leave it.

This. A better deal than Joe Thornton brought, and a better deal than Seguin. Sure we got fleeced on Thornton and Seguin, but would you rather be the fleecer or the fleecee? So look to fleece the Sabres or just walk away, because Jack Eichel is not worth 2 upper tier NHLers, 2 upper tier prospects, and 2 picks. No way in H-E-Double Kohos.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
if you could get Eichel for that, you’d do it 7 days a week and not think twice about it.

Eichel is 23 and putting up damm good numbers, kid is a star.

I think we’re overrating some of our players because they wear the spoked B.

you know who’s never cracked 30? krecji
I don’t think I’m overrating some of our players. I think Eichel is slightly overrated, and I’m not about to restock the Buffalo Sabres so they can move their pouting center.

As far as David Krejci is concerned, I like him a lot, but I’ve never been over the moon crazy about him. Had some huge games for the Bruins, but he’s always been a second line center in my eyes.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I don’t think I’m overrating some of our players. I think Eichel is slightly overrated, and I’m not about to restock the Buffalo Sabres so they can move their pouting center.

As far as David Krejci is concerned, I like him a lot, but I’ve never been over the moon crazy about him. Had some huge games for the Bruins, but he’s always been a second line center in my eyes.

I didn’t specially mean you were overrating our players, but in general I think fans do that.

Eichel is 23 and getting better every season. The Bruins are getting old at center and I don’t see anyone with #1 center potentiality the system.

I’m not saying you give up the world for him, but you’d have to look hard at it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Trade pieces aside, with his focus on character, I also wonder if Sweeney would really want to integrate someone who was labeled as a "brooding superstar, a general manager and coach killer who’d throw his own grandmother under the bus."

This is why I am so uneasy about Eichel, I keep reading/hearing stuff like this. A lot of it could be wrong but where there's smoke etc.

The Bruins have built a strong organization based on character and accountability. IMO someone like Eichel could poison that, it only takes one jerk to wreck a locker room even one populated by Chara & Bergeron. Who btw are closer to the end of their careers than to the beginning and may not want to babysit a problem child.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

Take it or leave it.

Agreed. And for me, its Jake DeBrusk or Ondrej Kase and then everything you put. I would not move Carlo in a deal for Eichel.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I can't see Buffalo trading Eichel to Boston but the Sabres are the Sabres.

After getting absolutely fleeced by St. Louis when they dealt O’Reilly (Patrik Berglund, Tage Thompson, Vladimír Sobotka, a 2019 first-round pick and a 2021 second-round pick was the return), methinks Buffalo is going to be more vigilant when it comes to netting a proper return for a star center.

Of course, given Eichel’s standing already as a top 15-20 player in the NHL, his age and contract, it’s pretty much a given that the Sabres would expect a king’s ransom for their franchise star.
Now, if Boston came calling following the 2020-21 season, what would a rebuilding team like Buffalo ask for?
  • Draft capital is an obvious casualty of such a blockbuster, with Buffalo seeking a first-round selection in 2021 (and potentially even 2022) in order to replenish its prospect pipeline. (Toronto surrendered a pair of first-round picks to pry a 22-year-old Phil Kessel from Boston in 2009).
  • Buffalo would also want a top prospect in any return for its franchise center. As luck would have it, Boston has prioritized pivots over the last couple of drafts — with Jack Studnicka obviously standing at the forefront when it comes to the B’s prospect pool. Other promising centers in Boston’s system include John Beecher and Trent Frederic.
  • One or two NHL regulars — still young and under manageable contracts — seems to be a given here in terms of trade chips. Even though Boston would be wise to not part ways with a youngster like Charlie McAvoy, a player like Jake DeBrusk could be a target, given his age (24 in 2021), evident talent (averaged 23 goals last two seasons) and likely affordable contract after hitting restricted free agency in 2020. If Buffalo REALLY wanted to maximize its return in an Eichel trade, it wouldn’t come as much of a surprise if the Sabres also snagged a defensemen from Boston — with Brandon Carlo standing as the obvious pick if McAvoy is off limits.
Am I overshooting what the Sabres might ask for here? Ehhhh, I don’t think so — not for a young superstar like Eichel.

Again, we’ve had stars traded for far, far less, but Buffalo NEEDS to nail this trade if it indeed decides to blow it all up and start anew.

So, what say you?

Would you pull the trigger on a move like this?

Boston Gets: Jack Eichel
Buffalo Gets: Brandon Carlo, Jake DeBrusk, Jack Studnicka, Urho Vaakanainen, 2021 1st-Round Pick, 2022 2nd-Round Pick

I laugh and hang up the phone.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If I'm the Bruins, I wouldn't trade Carlo. If the Bruins can package some assets that would equal Carlo's value as a replacement in the deal, I would do it.

Maybe the Bruins could move Krejci, who would be in the last year of this deal, in the offseason and use those assets in the package deal for Eichel.

Reactions: bbfan419

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I laugh and hang up the phone.

Article reads like the guy who haggles over every little thing, and then tosses everything but the kitchen sink into the final offer.

Article - Will Carlo or McAvoy, and maybe DeBrusk get Eichel?

Final offer - Carlo, Vaak, Debrusk, Studnicka, a First, a Second, a gold bathtub, free rides on Bear Force One, and Kurt Cobain's MTV Unplugged guitar.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If I'm not getting Boston's best prospect (by far IMO) in Studnicka than I'm not sending Eichel to the Bruins. Neither Frederic or Beecher are in the same class of prospect as Studnicka.

Zboril and Senyshyn have practically no trade value being both need to clear waivers next season. I'm not even sure Vaak has all that much. Basically you want to give Buffalo a bunch of low B(Frederic/Beecher/Vaak)-high C (Zboril/Senyshyn) level prospects so you don't have to give up your one A-level guy in Studnicka.
They would also be getting DeBrusk and Picks as well

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Over the last 3 year's they are pretty close in production

Pasta - 218GP / 1.17 PGP
Eichel - 212GP / 1.06 PGP

Eichel also doesn't have nearly the talent on his line that Pasta has and his two most common linemates over the last 3 seasons are Sam Reinhart and Jeff Skinner. Now while Pasta is cheaper, he's only signed for 3 more years and then he becomes a UFA. On the flip side Eichel is signed for 6 more years. I'm not saying I'd do it or that one is better than the other, but that's something that would get Buffalo's attention.
Defeats the purpose though, ideally you want Eichel and Pasta together on the Bruins.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Eichel for Pasta would certainly be interesting for a discussion lol.

Nothing to discuss. Just no. Pasta is a franchise player. I wouldn't even trade him for McDavid, let alone Eichel. Connor is objectively the better player, but Pasta is special, a guy who not only performs on the ice but improves the team's culture, gives it a certain pizzazz and sells tickets by the bucketful. And he's incredible value and highly likely to stay that way.

You don't give that up for anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad