Boston Sports Journal Weighing the cost, challenges for Bruins in a potential Jack Eichel blockbuster trade

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Barkov is an exceptional hockey player. I agree, there's quite a bit of Bergeron in his game, and while his defensive stats aren't necessarily the greatest, that's more a reflection on the dumpster fire defenses he's spent a lot of time playing with. He's always struck me as a very responsible, clever operator and he's been a key piece in Florida's return to playoff contention this season. He probably doesn't have the out-and-out offensive skills of Eichel, but I'd say his all-round game is every bit as good if not better and while his value is sure to increase, it's highly likely to stay below what Jack's earning.

I think he'd be a great fit for the Bruins, his contract's going to expire at just the right time and I'd wager he and Pasta could create magic together. If the Panthers stay on their upward trajectory, which they probably will under Coach Q, he might be hard to entice away, but if I were Sweeney he'd be right up in the top couple on my list of potential future 1Cs.
I agree with this and Barkov is exactly the type of #1 C that would fit the Bruins mold, he is talented , but works very hard and is a leader. I think he would be an ideal player for the next Bruins top line center. I really like Eichel, but if you can get Barkov at a bit cheaper price, I would go that route without hesitation.

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
As much as I love DeBrusk and Brandon Carlo, they are absolutely expendable pieces in a trade for a bonafide elite 1c. I’m not sure I could stomach sending them both but I’d be willing to seriously consider it. Be that Eichel or Barkov.

If you do manage to land a player of Eichel caliber, you split up the Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta line and give one of those wingers to Eichel. Fill in the gaps as you go. It’s a top 6 that would make any team salivate.

Reactions: bbfan419

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Barkov is an exceptional hockey player. I agree, there's quite a bit of Bergeron in his game, and while his defensive stats aren't necessarily the greatest, that's more a reflection on the dumpster fire defenses he's spent a lot of time playing with. He's always struck me as a very responsible, clever operator and he's been a key piece in Florida's return to playoff contention this season. He probably doesn't have the out-and-out offensive skills of Eichel, but I'd say his all-round game is every bit as good if not better and while his value is sure to increase, it's highly likely to stay below what Jack's earning.

I think he'd be a great fit for the Bruins, his contract's going to expire at just the right time and I'd wager he and Pasta could create magic together. If the Panthers stay on their upward trajectory, which they probably will under Coach Q, he might be hard to entice away, but if I were Sweeney he'd be right up in the top couple on my list of potential future 1Cs.

It tough to measure skill but if you want to look at the last 3 years of production between the two...

Eichel - 212 GP / 89G / 135A / 1.06 PGP / -84 TkGv Diff
Barkov - 227 GP / 82G / 154A / 1.04 PGP / +49 TkGv Diff

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I imagine McAvoy would have to be the centrepiece but you never know with the Pegulas around.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
It tough to measure skill but if you want to look at the last 3 years of production between the two...

One plays with Huberdeau, Dadanov, Ekblad. The other with...Skinner, Reinhart and an 18 year old Dahlin.

Switch places and I think Eichel creates a very clear gap. He would be electric with a 90 point threat like Huberdeau.

Other than Larkin, no promising young stud is in a worse position to succeed than Eichel. Eichel - Pastrnak likely becomes a Hart and Richard threat combo for a decade of Boston is able to land him.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Thanks. It's pretty even. The one thing that stands out there is that Barkov is more responsible with the puck that Eichel, which is no surprise. I'd give Eichel some allowance though for playing in an inferior team for most of that period. For the right price I'd happily see either in Boston, but I'd definitely have a preference for Barkov based on him being better value, a superior two-way player and probably a better fit for the Bruins. In fact in terms of realistic options for the Bs post-Bergy, I'm not sure there is currently a better top center out there than him. Barkov-Studnicka-Coyle could be a very strong spine for the team.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
One plays with Huberdeau, Dadanov, Ekblad. The other with...Skinner, Reinhart and an 18 year old Dahlin.

Switch places and I think Eichel creates a very clear gap. He would be electric with a 90 point threat like Huberdeau.

Other than Larkin, no promising young stud is in a worse position to succeed than Eichel. Eichel - Pastrnak likely becomes a Hart and Richard threat combo for a decade of Boston is able to land him.

and Huberdeau didn't take off production wise until getting put with Barkov. Lets also not act like Skinner and Reinhart of bums either. Skinner is coming off a 40 goal season and has netted 30+ goals multiple times while also being a 50-60pt player. Reinhart had 65pt last season and was on pace to put up close to 60pt again this season.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Carlo is the only reasonable centerpiece for a deal. McAvoy and Pasta are going no where. No one else in the system is good enough to headline a winning deal inside the division. So you either hope you get lucky in the draft a 3rd time like with McAvoy and Pasta, or you hope Barkov and/or Eichel somehow hit UFA. Thankfully, they have a few more years to figure it out.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
and Huberdeau didn't take off production wise until getting put with Barkov. Lets also not act like Skinner and Reinhart of bums either. Skinner is coming off a 40 goal season and has netted 30+ goals multiple times while also being a 50-60pt player. Reinhart had 65pt last season and was on pace to put up close to 60pt again this season.

Big difference between a 60 point pace player and a 95 point player. If you want to believe Jack is in a comparable atmosphere in terms of support you can, but I believe there is a large gap between Florida and Buffalo in terms of depth and talent.

Reactions: Blinny

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Big difference between a 60 point pace player and a 95 point player. If you want to believe Jack is in a comparable atmosphere in terms of support you can, but I believe there is a large gap between Florida and Buffalo in terms of depth and talent.

You keep saying 95pt player, Hubs has never hit 95 points. He cracked 90 for the first time in his career last year and the 3 years prior to that his P/GP put him just shy of a 70pt player.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
You keep saying 95pt player, Hubs has never hit 95 points. He cracked 90 for the first time in his career last year and the 3 years prior to that his P/GP put him just shy of a 70pt player.

I said 90pt player the first time, which is what I meant. He was on pace for 93 this past season. I guess if you want to scrutinize 95 vs 92 or 93, that's fine. You should be more focused on the 93 vs 60.

Or maybe look at Buffalo's 195 GF and compare it to 231 for Florida. One player simply has a lot more talent to work with. Florida was the 6th best team in the NHL for GF, despite playing 1-2 games fewer than many.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I said 90pt player the first time, which is what I meant. He was on pace for 93 this past season. I guess if you want to scrutinize 95 vs 92 or 93, that's fine. You should be more focused on the 93 vs 60.

Or maybe look at Buffalo's 195 GF and compare it to 231 for Florida. One player simply has a lot more talent to work with. Florida was the 6th best team in the NHL for GF, despite playing 1-2 games fewer than many.

Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->