Boston Sports Journal Weighing the cost, challenges for Bruins in a potential Jack Eichel blockbuster trade

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can't see Buffalo trading Eichel to Boston but the Sabres are the Sabres.

After getting absolutely fleeced by St. Louis when they dealt O’Reilly (Patrik Berglund, Tage Thompson, Vladimír Sobotka, a 2019 first-round pick and a 2021 second-round pick was the return), methinks Buffalo is going to be more vigilant when it comes to netting a proper return for a star center.

Of course, given Eichel’s standing already as a top 15-20 player in the NHL, his age and contract, it’s pretty much a given that the Sabres would expect a king’s ransom for their franchise star.
Now, if Boston came calling following the 2020-21 season, what would a rebuilding team like Buffalo ask for?
  • Draft capital is an obvious casualty of such a blockbuster, with Buffalo seeking a first-round selection in 2021 (and potentially even 2022) in order to replenish its prospect pipeline. (Toronto surrendered a pair of first-round picks to pry a 22-year-old Phil Kessel from Boston in 2009).
  • Buffalo would also want a top prospect in any return for its franchise center. As luck would have it, Boston has prioritized pivots over the last couple of drafts — with Jack Studnicka obviously standing at the forefront when it comes to the B’s prospect pool. Other promising centers in Boston’s system include John Beecher and Trent Frederic.
  • One or two NHL regulars — still young and under manageable contracts — seems to be a given here in terms of trade chips. Even though Boston would be wise to not part ways with a youngster like Charlie McAvoy, a player like Jake DeBrusk could be a target, given his age (24 in 2021), evident talent (averaged 23 goals last two seasons) and likely affordable contract after hitting restricted free agency in 2020. If Buffalo REALLY wanted to maximize its return in an Eichel trade, it wouldn’t come as much of a surprise if the Sabres also snagged a defensemen from Boston — with Brandon Carlo standing as the obvious pick if McAvoy is off limits.
Am I overshooting what the Sabres might ask for here? Ehhhh, I don’t think so — not for a young superstar like Eichel.

Again, we’ve had stars traded for far, far less, but Buffalo NEEDS to nail this trade if it indeed decides to blow it all up and start anew.

So, what say you?

Would you pull the trigger on a move like this?

Boston Gets: Jack Eichel
Buffalo Gets: Brandon Carlo, Jake DeBrusk, Jack Studnicka, Urho Vaakanainen, 2021 1st-Round Pick, 2022 2nd-Round Pick

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't make that deal. Hockey is not a game where one superstar makes a winner; hence Eichel's problems in Buffalo.

Sure the B's would surround him with a better supporting cast. But with Chara, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, and even Rask aging, uncertainty about Krug, K. Miller likely done, and who knows what kind of cap ramifications post quarantine, that's just too much of a package for one player.

Carlo is a top-2 D with size (which he may still learn to use), Debrusk is a possible top 6 F who can put up impressive numbers (even if they aren't on par with Eichel's), I'm reluctant to trade a C (Studnicka) prospect without knowing his true potential, and first and second round draft picks are vital to keep the cupboard stocked.

This is a case in which logic should overrule sentimentality.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I like Eichel, but no. That's way too much.

Take out Carlo, find some combo of additional picks or prospects to replace him and I think I would entertain it - but Buffalo wouldn't. They want the stud defenseman and I can't blame them. I don't see a deal that works for each side, especially when trading within the division.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
No thank you.

If the Bruins were dying for an offensive star, then maybe. Bruins are one of the best all around teams in the NHL, but lack a second line right wing is their only weakness. I don't think swinging that hard and removing so much depth would actually improve the team.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Don would never do this. It would be essentially stunting any development they have in the team system. Donny has shown he prioritizes the teams long term success over short gains. Eichel is a heck of a player and getting him under the cap for a decent term deal would mean more than a few contracts would be moved along with the entire cupboard of prospects proposed here.

Carlo is a stud and has played well for Boston, getting GMs notice across the league. DeBrusk's value is variable depending on who you talk too. I find the Bruins fans like Jake, but that opposing teams fanbases value him more as a player. Captain Jack is still a wildcard at this point and can go either way.
If Krug ends up leaving then we are going to need Carlo and Urho. Depleting out defense by nearly half for a franchise local-boy center is a fine enough dream and article fodder, but unless the new Buffalo GM goes full Fenton I don't see Eichel being moved at all. Eichel is the cornerstone you build around, not move. If Jack demands a trade then there is nothing to be done, but I don't see that happening yet.

The new Buff GM will be on a short leash and required to rebuild the team culture and win the fanbase back. Thats a tough job as is and starting by trading Eichel for anyone less than David Pastrnak would be career suicide.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Would love to see Jack in black and gold, but the package wouldn't be worth it. For me, Carlo/McAvoy are your RHD for the next 8+ years. Young RHD are hard to find and I'm always hesitant moving them.

Personally id be ok with the rest of the guys being moved.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Hard no. I could see us moving DeBrusk for the right deal, Vaak too, but both together plus all the rest? No way. We should be looking at Carlo as a long-term Bruin who's not even close to the trade table. As for Studnicka we'll obviously have to wait and see, but he looks for all the world like a home-grown eventual 2C and should be given every opportunity to achieve that in Boston. Always better to develop your own guys.

Looking long-term for sure Bergeron's going to need replacing eventually, but his departure will also free up a good amount of dough. I'd be looking more for a suitable free agent who's attracted to the team by its quality and culture rather than giving up too much for a trade, or at least waiting another couple of years to see what exactly we have to deal with when the time comes, rather than throwing away young talent before it's been fully tested.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Horrible.

Eichel would be loved here... but not at that horrific over payment.

Take out Carlo and it looks more reasonable!

We don't need to over compensate for Chiarelli's blunder in Seguin's return.

If Carlo is not included I think that is an offer that still is plenty competitive to make Eichel a Bruin. A mix of established talent, high end prospects, and draft picks.

The return the Bruins should have managed for Seguin in fact.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A reasonable deal to me would be:

Debrusk, Studnicka, a 1st rounder plus a choice of another prospect OR another 1st round pick. 4 assets, not 5 or 6. This is Jack Eichel were talking about here, not a 23-year old Crosby or OV.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
So, what say you?

Buffalo Gets: Brandon Carlo, Jake DeBrusk, Jack Studnicka, Urho Vaakanainen, 2021 1st-Round Pick, 2022 2nd-Round Pick
IMO it's not far off but the addition of Carlo pushes it over the top. Take out Carlo and replace with another less critical defenseman and maybe this would be attractive enough/not too painful for each side to consider.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I can't see Buffalo trading Eichel to Boston but the Sabres are the Sabres.

After getting absolutely fleeced by St. Louis when they dealt O’Reilly (Patrik Berglund, Tage Thompson, Vladimír Sobotka, a 2019 first-round pick and a 2021 second-round pick was the return), methinks Buffalo is going to be more vigilant when it comes to netting a proper return for a star center.

Of course, given Eichel’s standing already as a top 15-20 player in the NHL, his age and contract, it’s pretty much a given that the Sabres would expect a king’s ransom for their franchise star.
Now, if Boston came calling following the 2020-21 season, what would a rebuilding team like Buffalo ask for?
  • Draft capital is an obvious casualty of such a blockbuster, with Buffalo seeking a first-round selection in 2021 (and potentially even 2022) in order to replenish its prospect pipeline. (Toronto surrendered a pair of first-round picks to pry a 22-year-old Phil Kessel from Boston in 2009).
  • Buffalo would also want a top prospect in any return for its franchise center. As luck would have it, Boston has prioritized pivots over the last couple of drafts — with Jack Studnicka obviously standing at the forefront when it comes to the B’s prospect pool. Other promising centers in Boston’s system include John Beecher and Trent Frederic.
  • One or two NHL regulars — still young and under manageable contracts — seems to be a given here in terms of trade chips. Even though Boston would be wise to not part ways with a youngster like Charlie McAvoy, a player like Jake DeBrusk could be a target, given his age (24 in 2021), evident talent (averaged 23 goals last two seasons) and likely affordable contract after hitting restricted free agency in 2020. If Buffalo REALLY wanted to maximize its return in an Eichel trade, it wouldn’t come as much of a surprise if the Sabres also snagged a defensemen from Boston — with Brandon Carlo standing as the obvious pick if McAvoy is off limits.
Am I overshooting what the Sabres might ask for here? Ehhhh, I don’t think so — not for a young superstar like Eichel.

Again, we’ve had stars traded for far, far less, but Buffalo NEEDS to nail this trade if it indeed decides to blow it all up and start anew.

So, what say you?

I doubt Sweeney wants to do a deal like that, but Buffalo says no as well. I assume they're looking for quality over quantity, especially after what happened with the O'Reilly deal. That offer is full of good players, but there are no potential stars, and if you're trading Eichel, then you have to get someone back that has the potential to be a star.

Only way I see Eichel coming here is if he pulls a combination Seguin/Tavares, where he does something to make Buffalo want to get rid of him and then say he'll only report to his hometown team.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I doubt Sweeney wants to do a deal like that, but Buffalo says no as well. I assume they're looking for quality over quantity, especially after what happened with the O'Reilly deal. That offer is full of good players, but there are no potential stars, and if you're trading Eichel, then you have to get someone back that has the potential to be a star.

Only way I see Eichel coming here is if he pulls a combination Seguin/Tavares, where he does something to make Buffalo want to get rid of him and then say he'll only report to his hometown team.

And if he is going to pull shit like that to get out of Buffalo what's to stop him from pulling the same shit again to get out of Boston if he decides he wants out of here too? :dunno: Sometimes a player is more trouble than he's worth.

Reactions: Strafer and SPB2776

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I actually don’t like anything about that article.

The deal for O’Reilly was hardly a “fleecing”. They got two productive bottom-six players, a guy who was picked in the first round two years previous, another first and a second. All for a player the Sabres felt wasn’t value (60 points, perennial minus) enough for his $7.5M/yr contract.

At the time, that was a big haul for O’Reilly, especially considering what the Sabres gave up to get him in the first place.

To say that the Sabres would require a boatload in return for Eichel is (of course) true. But it should have little to do with what they received in the O’Reilly trade and it won’t look like this ludicrous offer Haggs proposes from the Bruins.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
IMO it's not far off but the addition of Carlo pushes it over the top. Take out Carlo and replace with another less critical defenseman and maybe this would be attractive enough/not too painful for each side to consider.
I say take out Carlo altogether, change the 2022 second to 2021 and get the Sabres to divvy something on their end. Much closer.

But I imagine Adams will get a deal done and if he doesn’t, there’s little (no) chance he would trade Eichel to a team in his own conference, let alone his own division. He’d get a good offer from a Western Conference team.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
A reasonable deal to me would be:

Debrusk, Studnicka, a 1st rounder plus a choice of another prospect OR another 1st round pick. 4 assets, not 5 or 6. This is Jack Eichel were talking about here, not a 23-year old Crosby or OV.
I would not want to deal Studnicka, I would instead offer Frederic or Beecher and then one of Zboril, Senyshen or Vaak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad