Weekly News Roundup (9/5 - 9/11) - Okada/Omega, Rhodes sit., Charlotte/Sasha pulled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They're different situations. One failed multiple drug tests in the UFC, the other is RVD who no one cares about. The optics are bad with Riddle, even though he's gotten insanely good insanely fast. WWE didn't want the negative attachment at the time.

But they're WWE. They have the luxury of not having to sign everyone in the world, they're going to be more than fine without him. They're in the position of being able to pick and choose, and that's what they're gonna do. While Riddle is great, there are lots of other who are also great and without his baggage. They can just as easily sign them, and that's what they'll do.

It's still a massive mistake, but that's how it is.

Most don't know who Matt Riddle is either to be fair. I agree they will be fine w/o him but it's a weak excuse either way.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
It's all about timing with something like this.

The goal here isn't the book. The book is a tool to make Steph into something bigger than she is, not to make money or actually be read. It's just a tool to an end. So if they've got something lined up that will get her some big mainstream press, then they'll wait for that. They want her to be a big "women in business" figurehead, everything she does is all about that.

So it looks like the book is now for 2017.

Personally, I can't wait to hear about all of Stephanie's achievements: how she organized the Seneca Falls Convention & was a leader in the women's lib movement, how she discovered the Last Battle of Atlanta film in the archives, and how Bayley's character is based on her. :sarcasm:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Personally, I can't wait to hear about all of Stephanie's achievements: how she organized the Seneca Falls Convention & was a leader in the women's lib movement, how she discovered the Last Battle of Atlanta film in the archives, and how Bayley's character is based on her. :sarcasm:

Don't forget her impact on Connor's Cure which is almost entirely her doing.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Don't forget her impact on Connor's Cure which is almost entirely her doing.

And how she maintains respect in the workplace from her male counterparts without cutting them down.

Or how she's the reason a female is a presidential nominee.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
I hope there is a chapter on that squash match she worked at 2014 Summerslam against Brie Bella.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
That match really took the women to a new level. Some would say it was the beginning of the revolution.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Shelton Benjamin had surgery on his torn rotator cuff Wednesday. His recovery time is expected to be roughly 5 months, and it appeared his contract to return to the WWE will be waiting for him.

Oct 18, 2011

Stephanie invented the iphone

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Most don't know who Matt Riddle is either to be fair. I agree they will be fine w/o him but it's a weak excuse either way.

Yeah people won't know who he is, but when they announce his signing they'll get press for it. "Former UFC fighter signs with WWE", then you'll have a bio about him and everyone will see his multiple failed drug test which resulted in his wins being overturned. And this is coming at a time when there have been a few high profile wellness failures, along with the Lesnar mess.

I think it's a very valid reason not to to sign him really. Even if it does suck.

But the general public won't care about any of it. And they'll care even less when he wrestles 'cos he's awesome. But the business world will, and they're the important ones.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah people won't know who he is, but when they announce his signing they'll get press for it. "Former UFC fighter signs with WWE", then you'll have a bio about him and everyone will see his multiple failed drug test which resulted in his wins being overturned. And this is coming at a time when there have been a few high profile wellness failures, along with the Lesnar mess.

I think it's a very valid reason not to to sign him really. Even if it does suck.

But the general public won't care about any of it. And they'll care even less when he wrestles 'cos he's awesome. But the business world will, and they're the important ones.

And in a legitimate and unbiased bio, those tests will show why he failed and since it was based on marijuana, most people simply aren't going to care. And marijuana is not treated like everything else when it comes to the Wellness Policy and there isn't some bad PR stigma that is associated with marijuana to the general public anymore. As a private business, they can come up with any reason not to sign a guy and it would be valid but it's still weak. The business world doesn't really care about someone like this signing with WWE.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The problem is that WWE are a trash tier company and they're trying to move away from that as best they can. They don't need these extra blemishes when they're at the bottom of the pile already. They can't go about trying to improve their image and then instantly turn around and do the reverse.

It would be a very different story if they were already respectable and at the top with strong deals, they'd have room to get away with things as much as real sports do.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The problem is that WWE are a trash tier company and they're trying to move away from that as best they can. They don't need these extra blemishes when they're at the bottom of the pile already. They can't go about trying to improve their image and then instantly turn around and do the reverse.

It would be a very different story if they were already respectable and at the top with strong deals, they'd have room to get away with things as much as real sports do.

They're a trash tier company because of things like this. They will say one thing and do another when it comes to their Wellness Policy. I don't agree with the premise that he'd be seen as a blemish but if they want to improve their tier, they need to be serious about their Policy and not just use it when it's convenient for them to do so.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I mean, a guy like Brian Kendrick has a drug record in WWE, but clearly they aren't bothered by it now or they wouldn't have brought him back. How many wellness violations does Orton have? Jack Swagger has a DUI. Look at freaking Lesnar.

The problem with WWE is that they pick and choose who they go to bat for.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Lolwut, Riddle is a pro wrestler now? True. I remember him from his UFC days.
Yup, and he's awesome.

He's only been wrestling a couple of years, but he's gotten real good insanely fast. He'll be a star for whoever picks him up. He really should be signed by WWE despite his past issues, his upside massively outweighs any minor negative press they'd get (which they can just spin into Wellness PR easily anyway).

If you want to check out some of his matches, he's a regular in EVOLVE. Lots of good matches there to pick from.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I mean, a guy like Brian Kendrick has a drug record in WWE, but clearly they aren't bothered by it now or they wouldn't have brought him back. How many wellness violations does Orton have? Jack Swagger has a DUI. Look at freaking Lesnar.

The problem with WWE is that they pick and choose who they go to bat for.
The thing is that returning guys are a non-story for everyone. But a signing a former UFC guy with a notable drug failure record in the middle of a high profile suspension to Reigns and then the Lesnar mess, that becomes news.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That's the only reason she got into the business, to get famous and be able to branch out in something else at some point.

**** her.

Why?

Why is that a bad thing? Because she used the WWE to gain opportunities for herself? Should we say "**** The Rock" because he used the WWE as a launching pad? Now, is Eva Marie going to give us the moments Rocky did? Of course not, and Rocky's father was a wrestler so there is some difference, but how is someone a bad person for using the WWE to further herself?

I'll never understand the disdain for people just trying to better their life.

Don't like Eva Marie because she lacks ability? Sure. I get it. I have no desire to see Eva Marie wrestle either

But to hate on her because she took a great opportunity is a pretty ****** thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad