Weekly News Roundup (8/29 - 9/4) -- ADR gone, Goldberg, Rollins/HHH, more Bryan/Miz

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Pretty much. More appropriate to call it a new mix. Unless there are vocals added as well which seems like may be the case after those guitar harmonies. Really dig the new drum track.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
Well it's Thursday, which means all the news is gonna come via the Observer. I've gone through it and summarised it. I hope the mods don't mind the amount of direct quotes I used.

The big features are about Punk, CMLL's Anniversary show and PWG's BOLA. I didn't read the Raw/Smackdown notes because usually anything in there he has already said on WOR.

Italic quotes are direct quotes from Meltzer. Normal text is my summary.

http://www.f4wonline.com/september-...-punk-making-ufc-debut-pwg-battle-los-angeles

WWE

- most of the Paige stuff has already been discussed, but the big line, imo, is "The story is that Paige has gotten legal representation and at press time nobody seems to know whether she’ll stay or go."

- "They started going with Kane vs. Corbin, but after a house show run, they stopped pushing it on TV" THANK GOD

- "The original plan was to keep Reigns and Rollins out of the title picture for a few months, but the injury to Balor forced them to make a new top babyface and Rollins got the call."

- "Cesaro vs. Sheamus match seven will be on the show" - this isn't a spoiler right? Like, we all knew this would happen? I figured they would spread it over a couple of months though...

- There's some stuff on Survivor Series weekend in Canada. Raw was supposed to be in Montreal. Ontario had NXT dates in September, which they cancelled for the takeover. Meltz says that Survivor Series is still part of the big 4 and it makes sense to stack the weekend and turn it into a detestation weekend. Notes that Roode should win the belt and move Naka up, which of course they should.

- "The idea right now is to do Takeovers in conjunction with the big four events."

- "There is still nothing official regarding the site for the Rumble. Rumors persist it is Los Angeles, but the company has continually denied that."

- "Gran Metalik will be moving his family to the U.S. so there may be a delay in him relocating and being in full-time. Alexander, Kendrick, Tommaso Ciampa, TJ Perkins and Johnny Gargano as well as Metalik are all pretty much confirmed for the cruiserweight division and the company also announced Akira Tozawa and Jack Gallagher. It’s said that the tournament is there for Kota Ibushi to win if he signs a full-time deal. Zack Sabre Jr. also probably could have won it if he signs a full-time deal. Of the final four, Perkins and Metalik are signed, Sabre Jr. isn’t and doesn’t look to be, and Ibushi has said that he isn’t going full-time and they want the cruiserweight division to be full-time guys" - most of this was already known but it's good for the record.

- "Stephanie McMahon’s autobiography has been pushed back indefinitely."

- "Regal was in California scouting at the PWG show."

- "The plan is to make Lana a much larger character in the next season of Total Divas"

- there's a big bloc about the Montreal screwjob because of a Bruce Prichard interview. i'm not even gonna read it but if anyone really wants it...

- "There was more than one performer that were very upset with the Banks promo and the idea of it.". it seems that both Daniel Bryan's retirement and Tyson Kidd's forced retirement is part of the reason it struck the wrong chords with a couple of the performers. Meltzer "just saw it as a bad TV segment."

- "Harper has just started training"

- HULK HOGAN IS A BIG KEVIN OWENS FAN. he was on Bischoff’s podcast and i guess it was talked about in that

Other Wrestling

- ADR might go to Elite in Mexcio, not AAA. I believe that would mean no Lucha Undergound.

- "The (PWG BOLA shows) included three of the best tag team matches of the year, and easily the best wrestling held in this country. The second night, just like last year, was easily the best show I’ve seen outside of Japan as far as match quality goes, blowing away any NXT Takeover event or ROH show even"

- "Unless plans change, the Tokyo Dome main event this year will be Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega, as it looks to be. Omega will be the first Canadian to main event a New Japan Tokyo Dome show". I would expect a tease of a fan vote in the coming months though

- "Cody Rhodes at this point can’t use the Rhodes name if he works on television. There are still talks going on, as WWE is also claiming ownership to merchandise rights of Dusty Rhodes, so he would have to work with WWE to do his planned book on his father. The deal is that Cody Rhodes only worked for WWE from the start of his career and never used the name anywhere first. There are arguments in the sense that the name Dusty Rhodes dates back 50 years, long before WWE and it was a family wrestling name that his brother also used for years before WWE. Rhodes is trying to fulfill his bucket list that he put on the Internet some time back and it looks like he’s going to hit every one. He said he is no looking to sign with anyone. His major goal looks to be to try and make it as an actor on television."

- Cody has December ROH dates, wants to work with Adam Cole (good luck with that Cody, Adam should be busy with KOR that month), has a Japan date with Shibata, and could work with him outside of Japan as well, wants to work TNA with Brandi against Mike Bennett and Maria Kanellis because of a relationship in Northeast Wrestling, and has got offers to work with Damien Sandow but only wants to do stuff against new opponents.

- "When Rhodes said that his father had wanted him to quit starting after WrestleMania 28, some were skeptical, but Dusty’s office assistant Rob Naylor confirmed that as being true. Naylor noted that once Cody stopped being pushed, that the worst day to be around Dusty was Tuesday if Dusty didn’t like how Cody was being used on Raw"

- "Ethan Carter III won’t be returning to Evolve. Jeff Cobb will also be starting with this group but they are just working out the dates."

- Still no dates for when the next Lucha Underground season starts taping. S3 started tonight.

- As above, ECIII has signed a new TNA deal, in which head office books his indie dates (this was rumoured ages ago)

http://www.f4wonline.com/september-...-punk-making-ufc-debut-pwg-battle-los-angeles

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
God I hated that promo with Sasha this week. Hated it. They made her look like a ****ing idiot. Glad I was in an alternate state of mind during it. Hate how this feud is booked.

Perkins wins the CWC imo unless something changes this week with Sabre or Ibushi. Wouldn't make a lot of sense to book someone to win it that isn't with the company. They shouldn't need to feel as desperate as to book someone to win it just in hopes that they sign.

Del Rio doesn't need to do anything with LU since they already filmed an entire season.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
Perkins wins the CWC imo unless something changes this week with Sabre or Ibushi. Wouldn't make a lot of sense to book someone to win it that isn't with the company. They shouldn't need to feel as desperate as to book someone to win it just in hopes that they sign.

They wouldn't do it, and that's totally fine, but I'd love it if they worked out a deal where Ibushi comes across for WM. So in that case, he can win the CWC, go away, Johnny Gargano or whoever can get the Cruiserweight belt and then challenge Ibushi for supremacy.

I just have this feeling that even if TJP/Metalik wins the CWC, they won't be the main holder of the Crusierweight belt in the initial weeks/months anyway.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Barf at the new Rollins theme. I've found many versions of it on youtube and the guitar harmony (if you even want to call it that) over the drum line in the intro is about as pleasant as nails on a chalkboard to me.

Nothing says "heroic babyface" to me more than discombobulated cacophony and now we've got DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA!!!!!!!!!! to go with the opening.

I wish he would scrap his crappy theme all together.

Last edited:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Barf at the new Rollins theme. I've found many versions of it on youtube and the guitar harmony (if you even want to call it that) over the drum line in the intro is about as pleasant as nails on a chalkboard to me.

Nothing says "heroic babyface" to me more than discombobulated cacophony and now we've got DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA DUNNA!!!!!!!!!! to go with the opening.

I wish he would scrap his crappy theme all together.

Link? The only version I've seen was the 45 second preview on Instagram.

Also Rollins' theme is awesome, it fits his IRL personality and interests perfectly. Post-hardcore song for a post-hardcore dude.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
that doesnt seem legit. it just sounds looped and its missing the slightly changed intro and the new bridge

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I know that in real life Seth is crossfit Jesus and also has an intense interest in metalcore music but this is easily some of the worst entrance music I have ever heard. It's horrifically composed from start to finish because you have a somewhat catchy intro and it bridges twice and awkwardly recycles into itself. I know wrestlers don't have full blown songs but this almost feels like something a flying cruiserweight would come out to.

Stone Cold's track has the same composition style where you have a catchy intro, bridges twice but the major difference between his music and Rollins' is that it actually follows a harmony. Rollins' song is just outright lazy.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That's not his new version at all.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ8j3vphnnk/

This is the new one currently being worked on and they are completely different. The YT link doesn't have the fade in, the entirely new drum track, the new bridge, the new guitars.

I saw the link. The fade in is cool but I still don't see the big deal. It's the exact same thing being redone with new sounding guitar and new sounding drums and a small remix. It's like taking Metallica's St. Anger Album and having Slayer do it instead.

To me this feels no different than "ba ba dum dum" between stanzas of O' Canada because you'd sing the anthem the exact same way but you have a background noise instead.

The differences are negligible between the youtube track, the one he uses now and the demo.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Meh, disagreed entirely. I think his song is a great banger. Has all the elements of a catchy post-hardcore/metalcore track without the vocals and the guitar harmonies (which is being taken care of now in the new version). Love the main riff and especially love the classic double-bass breakdown in the middle.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Meh, disagreed entirely. I think his song is a great banger. Has all the elements of a catchy post-hardcore/metalcore track without the vocals and the guitar harmonies (which is being taken care of now in the new version). Love the main riff and especially love the classic double-bass breakdown in the middle.

Can we at least agree Roman's track sucks

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
It's just a slightly different version of The Shield's song and I liked the Shield's song so ... :laugh:

That said, I hate that Roman still uses it and I've soured on it because of that.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Seth is one of the guys I wish they could do licensed music for since he's been very open about bands he loves, etc. They already paid to use some Bring Me The Horizon for his WWE 24/7 and a couple songs for NXT Takeover. Cough up the money and get Throne as Seth's theme or something.

It may seem tacky to use a song again that's already been used for a Takeover but me no care. Having said allllll of this....I don't have huge issues with Seth's music.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
from Steph's twitter

"thought i was done writing #unREALbook but realized I have much more 2 share! It will now be available in 2017. So close but yet so far!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad