Weekly News Roundup (8/29 - 9/4) -- ADR gone, Goldberg, Rollins/HHH, more Bryan/Miz

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Whenever new news is posted in this thread (as long as it isn't legitimate spoilers, which belong in the spoiler thread) I will update the OP. New thread will be up every Monday from here on out for the week.

This also doesn't just have to be WWE news. It can be anything in the world of wrestling. Spoilers for other promotions need [SPOIL] tags, WWE/NXT spoilers need to go in the spoiler thread.

8/29

- Dixie Carter is either out of power, or losing power slowly in TNA's day-to-day operations. The process began when Carter was labelled as "chairman" and Corgan took over day-to-day operations. She hasn't been at all of TNA's recent tapings, and Corgan brought in Grammy Award singer/musician Sheri Shaw to do theme songs after years of Dixie's husband doing them - another sign she's losing power.

Also, TNA's new "business name" they're operating under in Nashville is "Impact Ventures LLC." (F4W)

- American Grit was filmed in October last year, leading to speculation that Cena won't be taking time off to film until then despite missing last week's edition of Smackdown.

8/30

- According to TMZ, the "wheels are in motion" for Goldberg to return.

- Alberto Del Rio has been pulled from all events after his suspension is up. He gave notice via his lawyer that he would opt to use his opt-out clause in his contract 60 days ago. He was reportedly lied to by the WWE about having main event runs when they brought him back.

- It was hinted at by Dave Meltzer that what happened on Monday could be the beginning of the build for Seth Rollins vs. Triple H for Wrestlemania 33. The match was originally in the cards last year until Seth Rollins blew his knee out.

8/31

- Triple H reportedly halted Alberto Del Rio's push because he partied too much, was seen as a liability and a bad influence on Paige.

Alberto Del Rio gave his notice back in June that he would exercise his opt-out clause in his contract. He will be free to work anywhere in the USA at the end of September but can work Internationally immediately.

- Finn Balor's recovery time may be longer than expected and he could be out for 8-9 months, according to PWInsider. Balor's injuries are more serious than initially thought, a combination of what was done along with the torn labrum. Also cited is the past recovery time of WWE superstars coming back from a torn labrum. The Royal Rumble, which was the hope when WWE first learned of the injury, is looking extremely unlikely.

9/1

- The original plan for ADR called for him to be a main event level babyface and Paul Heyman was going to be his manager instead of Zeb Colter.

- Cody Rhodes sent out a tweet telling WWE to cut ties with TMZ (they ran his mother's 911 call) and with ESPN (insulted a child) saying mainstream isn't always worth it.

- Daniel Bryan's WWE contract ends in 2018. It was frozen when he was off TV and inactive, but now that he's on as general manager and the Cruiserweight Classic, it's active again. Bryan has admitted to talking about wrestling elsewhere but Brie talks him down because they're about to start a family.

- Ryback did an interview where he said he was caught off guard by WWE putting the IC Title on him last year because of the way the relationship was at the time, but almost immediately after winning the title, WWE offered him a new contract and he knew why they put the title on him. He said he and HHH had heated conversations - Ryback would say it's not about the money and HHH would respond that it sounds like it is about the money. Ryback claimed it was about creative and his brand, and working two-minute matches with no heat, PPV matches with no build, etc. did nothing for him or his "Ryback Brand" or "Feed Me More Brand".

Ryback claims Vince McMahon also lied to him in regards to merchandise and creative, the last one being where Ryback claimed Vince said Ryback would be the top heel and have a World title run if Ryback listened to Vince and read his promos word-for-word. A new contract was offered, but Ryback waited to see if Vince would follow through. A week later, Ryback's opponent shifted to Kalisto.

- Alvarez said Bryan/Miz from Talking Smack was a work that turned into a shoot, coming off the heels of Bryan's ESPN interview where Bryan said it started with banter (that was all Bryan knew was going to happen) but Miz pushed his buttons and took it to the next level. Alvarez still blames Bryan to some degree for calling Miz a coward, but Miz takes some blame as well because Miz took "coward" personally towards Mike Mizanin rather than The Miz character. Alvarez said Bryan added to it, though, by saying Miz works a soft, cowardly style which was a shot at Mizanin. Then Miz went off. Bryan said he thought about punching Miz in the face but they were on live TV so Bryan just woke off set.

Everything about them not being allowed to be on camera together is a work, obviously. They built up to a match that obviously can't ever happen so Vince is shifting the heat to someone else to build up a new Miz program.

On a side note, in another interview, The Miz admitted that if he had a chance to do it, he would have loved to have worked the Indy scene with the likes of Bryan, Punk, Joe, etc. back in the day. After The Real World, he was signed to WWE after Tough Enough.

- Meltzer confirmed the Forbes article is pretty much ******** and WWE is not going to clear Daniel Bryan. The only difference about Daniel Bryan now and a few days before his retirement is that his contract is active again and expires in 2018 compared to it being frozen before he was on TV again. [SO STOP CITING FORBES AS A SOURCE.] Meltzer says he gets the feeling Bryan will never wrestle again and won't in WWE, but theoretically he could work when his contract is up. There could be huge legal ramifications if WWE decided to let him wrestle again and he developed problems worse than before down the road.

- Bo Dallas wasn't at Raw on Monday. He's still with the company, but he's being punished.

- Pro Wrestling Illustrated named Roman Reigns the #1 wrestler in the world.

- The original plan for Wrestlemania 32 was The Undertaker vs. John Cena, but Cena's injury scrapped those plans and Shane McMahon was brought back.

- The "chairman" and "chief strategy officer" label for Dixie Carter was just a front and a way for Carter to leave the company without having egg on her face, which is what she tried to avoid in leaving. She is no longer with TNA.

9/2

- Mark Carrano reportedly harassed Alberto Del Rio and Paige to get them to end their relationship. The company threatened to fire Paige.

9/3

- When Dana Brooke was called up, the idea was that Dana Brooke vs. Charlotte would be the Wrestlemania 33 match.

- Luke Harper will report to the Performance Center where his status will be determined.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
As someone posted elsewhere on the internet:

"One day, the history books will have a passage about it on how Matt Hardy and Billy Corgan saved TNA from the brink. Let that soak in."

Broken Matt is easily the best thing going in US wrestling right now imo. That podcast he did with Jericho where he stayed in character for the whole thing was amazing.

Oct 18, 2011
i think changing the music presentation with TNA is going to be a plus, most of their themes just sound way too similar. good move.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I don't watch TNA but I've seen a few Broken Matt Hardy clips on YouTube and it's awesome. I wish WWE would sign him and use that character, but that is pretty much impossible.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York

"One day, the history books will have a passage about it on how Matt Hardy and Billy Corgan saved TNA from the brink. Let that soak in."

Broken Matt is easily the best thing going in US wrestling right now imo. That podcast he did with Jericho where he stayed in character for the whole thing was amazing.

Broken Matt is great but THE best thing in US wrestling right now? Come on. AJ is on fire right now in every direction. Then there's guys like nakamura, owens etc.

I've always liked the hardys, both of them, but to say he's the best thing going right now is pretty out there.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Broken Matt is so overrated IMO. Final Deletion was thoroughly entertaining but that's all I really needed to see. They've been beating this to death for what, 2 or 3 months now? It's stale and forced at this point. How many times can a guy say BROTHER NERO and have it still be fun?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's still drawing attention, and that's all TNA really cares about right now.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Broken Matt is so overrated IMO. Final Deletion was thoroughly entertaining but that's all I really needed to see. They've been beating this to death for what, 2 or 3 months now? It's stale and forced at this point. How many times can a guy say BROTHER NERO and have it still be fun?

Broken Matt is not "good". It is so bad it is good kinda "good". It is entertaining and funny, but, yeah, that's not something you can sustain long term.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Even the Final Deletion to be was meh. The Dilapidated Boat line got a good laugh from me, but that's it.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Final Deletion was fantastic. Unfortunately, TNA is dead on the vine so they'll beat this into the ground for any last viewership.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I'll have to listen to that podcast. More wrestlers should stay in kayfabe all the time, especially heels. It loses its luster if they don't. Another reason why old school wrestling was better.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
According to Wrestlinginc, filming for American Grit took place from October last year, so speculation is that Cena won't be leaving until then this year.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I was telling everyone that in the Summerslam thread.

I was saying it was weird he was doing this, goodbye thing, when he shouldn't have been leaving until mid-October

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Ryback claims he walked away from a 3-year, $1.5m contract with WWE and was planned to "squash" AJ Styles at Wrestlemania.

Yeah, right. The big guy seems to be a big, delusional idiot lmao. "I'm dumb as ****"...

Edit: okay, he says Vince told him that but Ryback didn't believe it based on the way Styles was introduced. Lmao. That's cool I guess.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Orton v Lesnar announced for a live show in Chicago in September.

interesting that Lesnar is appearing non-televised

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Orton v Lesnar announced for a live show in Chicago in September.

interesting that Lesnar is appearing non-televised
It's not really interesting, he already did some house shows earlier in the year. He has a number of house show dates that he's required to do in his contract, and he's doing them.

Orton being the opponent is interesting, seeing as they already had that match, opposed to doing something new like Cesaro or Owens. But it'll be a meaningless squash like the other matches were.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Ryback claims he walked away from a 3-year, $1.5m contract with WWE and was planned to "squash" AJ Styles at Wrestlemania.

Yeah, right. The big guy seems to be a big, delusional idiot lmao. "I'm dumb as ****"...

Edit: okay, he says Vince told him that but Ryback didn't believe it based on the way Styles was introduced. Lmao. That's cool I guess.

Part of me wishes they did that just to see the riot on Raw the next night

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
It's not really interesting, he already did some house shows earlier in the year. He has a number of house show dates that he's required to do in his contract, and he's doing them.

Orton being the opponent is interesting, seeing as they already had that match, opposed to doing something new like Cesaro or Owens. But it'll be a meaningless squash like the other matches were.

fair enough, I wasnt aware. Lesnar seems like the kind of guy who would have house-show opt outs in his contract lol

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
fair enough, I wasnt aware. Lesnar seems like the kind of guy who would have house-show opt outs in his contract lol
Well kinda has opted out of 100s already so I don't think he minds doing a few of them lol. He probably has a 20 maximum in the contract at most, or something like that.

If you dig about you can find the matches he had against Sheamus, Rusev, and Del Rio. The other one they had was vs Harper and Bray, but Bray had some minor injury so it wasn't actually a 2-on-1 match like advertised. That one was repeated at a bonus PPV somewhen before 'Mania.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad