Confirmed with Link: Weekes: The Avs are re-signing Justus Annunen, 2 year, 833k per, 1-way deal

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Buriable cap hit, but the one way deal likely means they're committing to him as the Avs backup at least next year.

Which means he HAS to play at an NHL backup level, because if he doesn't, they'll have to overplay George again like they did when they lost Franky.

Interesting gamble signing him now, instead of waiting to evaluate him with more games and playoffs, and then signing him in the off season.

Maybe save an extra $100k or so if he would have played well in the playoffs, but hard to see much more than that with his lack of games.

Goes to show how little cap space they'll have next year.
I think it makes sense to commit to Justus as a backup. Worthwhile risk that can save some cash which is important next year. But I don’t think it’s a guarantee Georgie is back next year. If he has a bad playoffs I wouldn’t be surprised if they go and look for their next backup that’s ready to have their role elevated.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Buriable cap hit, but the one way deal likely means they're committing to him as the Avs backup at least next year.

Which means he HAS to play at an NHL backup level, because if he doesn't, they'll have to overplay George again like they did when they lost Franky.

Interesting gamble signing him now, instead of waiting to evaluate him with more games and playoffs, and then signing him in the off season.

Maybe save an extra $100k or so if he would have played well in the playoffs, but hard to see much more than that with his lack of games.

I think it is a great gamble. A much worst gamble would have been to go into the playoffs risking Annunen to take over from George, do very well and then cost them 1.5-2M instead of a buriable 833K contract. It also could have end up being only a 1-yr contract instead of 2 years.

I think it makes sense to commit to Justus as a backup. Worthwhile risk that can save some cash which is important next year. But I don’t think it’s a guarantee Georgie is back next year. If he has a bad playoffs I wouldn’t be surprised if they go and look for their next backup that’s ready to have their role elevated.
Justus? Granted he hasn't been a backup for very long but when you are against the cap like we are sometimes you need to take chances on some guys.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think it is a great gamble. A much worst gamble would have been to go into the playoffs risking Annunen to take over from George, do very well and then cost them 1.5-2M instead of a buriable 833K contract. It also could have end up being only a 1-yr contract instead of 2 years.

Justus? Granted he hasn't been a backup for very long but when you are against the cap like we are sometimes you need to take chances on some guys.
Sorry that does come off as confusing. I mean replacing Georgie.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
If he was just a little bit more athletic his ceiling would be really high.

He’s worked a lot on calming down his game and he’s learning to use his size in net.

The soft goals are concerning, but the fact that he can bounce back from those is a credit to his resiliency.

Reactions: AvsFan2123

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Sorry that does come off as confusing. I mean replacing Georgie.
No it wasn't confusing. I understood what you meant. I meant that Justus IS a backup himself so they could look in their own backyard to find that backup you are talking about. I think I was the one that wasn't clear enough. No worries.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
His face doesn't match his body. Dude is absolutely shredded, he's athletic, especially for a guy that tall.

You’re misunderstanding me. I don’t care what the guys body looks like.

He’s not an athletic goaltender. Obviously he’s fit. He’s not twitchy in terms of his movements.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No it wasn't confusing. I understood what you meant. I meant that Justus IS a backup himself so they could look in their own backyard to find that backup you are talking about. I think I was the one that wasn't clear enough. No worries.
Ahh I see what you mean. My guess is they would go for someone with a little more track record and hope Annunen could take over in 2/3 years. So maybe we’d try to pry Lindgren out Washington or something like that.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You’re misunderstanding me. I don’t care what the guys body looks like.

He’s not an athletic goaltender. Obviously he’s fit. He’s not twitchy in terms of his movements.
Yeah the biggest issue with Annunen is his lateral movement and needing that raw athleticism to improv when things break down. Seems really solid everywhere else though.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Ahh I see what you mean. My guess is they would go for someone with a little more track record and hope Annunen could take over in 2/3 years. So maybe we’d try to pry Lindgren out Washington or something like that.
Yeah I get that it wouldn't be a popular idea here to go with Annunen and Provy next season. I would personally and let them fight it out. They both have done really good as backups. In Provy's case he has only had two bad outings with the Avs and he is killing it in the AHL right now. One of them could easily come out on top and be as good if not better than George. Going into the next two seasons with less than 2M cap on your goalies would help so much with our cap issues.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I get that it wouldn't be a popular idea here to go with Annunen and Provy next season. I would personally and let them fight it out. They both have done really good as backups. In Provy's case he has only had two bad outings with the Avs and he is killing it in the AHL right now. One of them could easily come out on top and be as good if not better than George. Going into the next two seasons with less than 2M cap on your goalies would help so much with our cap issues.
I mean running a goalie tandem worth ~1.9mil would really help the flexibility of the cap next season but would also be a major risk. Guess you could hope to trade for one if they don’t pan out, but that would really not put us in a great spot leverage wise that’s for sure.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I mean running a goalie tandem worth ~1.9mil would really help the flexibility of the cap next season but would also be a major risk. Guess you could hope to trade for one if they don’t pan out, but that would really not put us in a great spot leverage wise that’s for sure.
Yeah I agree it would be risky but IMO it would be a good calculated risk. I doubt the Avs do that anyway unless George has a bad PO and they can't find anybody else as their target type.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Decent gamble I agree, but I don't see him commanding more than a $1M at most, if he had to step in for George in the playoffs, and played great.

He's only got 12 NHL games right now, and only half of which were NHL backup level. Last off season he could only get a 1 year, two way, league min $775k deal.

My guess is they saved themselves maybe $100k or so max on a one way, if Justus played well in the playoffs.

If he played well the rest of the year, but didn’t play much in the playoffs, they probably could have got him for a similar AAV on a two way deal, but they wanted to avoid the potential for paying even just a little bit more with their lack of cap space now next year.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Still not sure how a 1-way deal means they're committing to him as the Avs backup. I do think that is the plan, but not because it's 1-way contract.

Toronto signed Martin Jones to a 1-way deal and he played the majority of the season in the AHL. Carolina just signed Martin to a 1-way deal and he's their #3 next year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Still not sure how a 1-way deal means they're committing to him as the Avs backup. I do think that is the plan, but not because it's 1-way contract.

Toronto signed Martin Jones to a 1-way deal and he played the majority of the season in the AHL. Carolina just signed Martin to a 1-way deal and he's their #3 next year.

Mostly because team's don't usually throw around 1 way contracts, especially for goalies.

Doesn't mean it's a guarantee they'll commit to him, but that and the fact they didn't trade for a goalie at the deadline, makes the likelihood pretty high IMO. His spot to lose perhaps may be a better way of putting it.

Toronto cares less about money than probably any team in the league, while the Avs probably choose what they spend their money on more carefully than most teams.

They don't spend a lot outside the actual roster. They don't spend a lot on scouting. They were late to upgrade the locker room and jumbotron, and they still haven't upgraded the practice facility.

They'll spend to the cap when they have a good team, but are very reluctant to spend more than the cap unless they have to. They didn't utilize LTIR when they could have last year with Gabe, and they've got about $3M in unused LTIR space this year.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I wish teams could roll over unused cap space from one year to the next. Would have to implement rules to ensure that only excess cap from that current year gets rolled into the next instead of allowing shit from two or three years prior to continue to be carried forward. Make it so they can only use that excess in the year immediately following when it was accrued. NHLPA would be for it, because it would mean that eventually more money will be paid to players. Teams that spend would like it because, they have the potential to spend more if they didn't use all of their cap the previous year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wish teams could roll over unused cap space from one year to the next. Would have to implement rules to ensure that only excess cap from that current year gets rolled into the next instead of allowing shit from two or three years prior to continue to be carried forward. Make it so they can only use that excess in the year immediately following when it was accrued. NHLPA would be for it, because it would mean that eventually more money will be paid to players. Teams that spend would like it because, they have the potential to spend more if they didn't use all of their cap the previous year.
Owners would riot unless it increased escrow to ensure 50/50 split. Increased escrow is a non starter for the players.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
But I don’t think it’s a guarantee Georgie is back next year. If he has a bad playoffs I wouldn’t be surprised if they go and look for their next backup that’s ready to have their role elevated.

That's a good point. Might be why they kept their 1st this year, in case they need to make another Kuemper type move.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
That's a good point. Might be why they kept their 1st this year, in case they need to make another Kuemper type move.
If they did this it wouldn't be until the trade deadlineIMO. They can't afford a guy more expensive than Georgiev (i.e. Saros) and I can't think of anyone who would be a clear upgrade at an equal or less expensive cap hit,

If Georgiev falters in the playoffs, Annunen will get a shot. If he runs with it then I could see them deal Georgiev for a cheaper backup (i.e. Allen) to platoon Annunen with, and hopefully we could keep Prosvetov for insurance. Then maybe they shoot for an upgrade near the deadline if necessary. If both Annunen and Georgiev falter in the POs we are in trouble heading into next year haha, otherwise I think we see the same tandem.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If they did this it wouldn't be until the trade deadlineIMO. They can't afford a guy more expensive than Georgiev (i.e. Saros) and I can't think of anyone who would be a clear upgrade at an equal or less expensive cap hit,

If Georgiev falters in the playoffs, Annunen will get a shot. If he runs with it then I could see them deal Georgiev for a cheaper backup (i.e. Allen) to platoon Annunen with, and hopefully we could keep Prosvetov for insurance. Then maybe they shoot for an upgrade near the deadline if necessary. If both Annunen and Georgiev falter in the POs we are in trouble heading into next year haha, otherwise I think we see the same tandem.
All I know is that whichever of our goalies is in net for our 16th win in the playoffs will have the inside shot at the starters crease net season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I was more thinking that if Georgiev falters, they may move him in a separate, or the same deal for another starter in the offseason. Likely around the draft if they use the 1st in a Kuemper type deal.

I think it's doubtful his rope lasts beyond this season. This year's deadline shows they're in full win now mode. If they didn't want to wait to see how Bo played next year, it seems doubtful they would have the patience to wait on a more important position like the starting goalie.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I was more thinking that if Georgiev falters, they may move him in a separate, or the same deal for another starter in the offseason. Likely around the draft if they use the 1st in a Kuemper type deal.

I think it's doubtful his rope lasts beyond this season. This year's deadline shows they're in full win now mode. If they didn't want to wait to see how Bo played next year, it seems doubtful they would have the patience to wait on a more important position like the starting goalie.
But with all the cap issues, we certainly aren't adding more money to the goalie position.. so who do they get at or below Georgiev's cap hit that's a clear upgrade?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad