GDT: Weekend: Crackchester @ Bingo|Saturday, Dec 22nd, 2012|7:05 pm w/ stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Granny*

The issue is these goalies only get 1 game per week and its ****ing them up, just when Bishop started to get hot last week we had no games for him then Lehner is sitting out and needs to play some games as well.

This playing every weekend with nothing in between schedule is pure crap

WhiteLight*

The issue is these goalies only get 1 game per week and its ****ing them up, just when Bishop started to get hot last week we had no games for him then Lehner is sitting out and needs to play some games as well.

thus why acquiring Bishop was useless. There was no need

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY

Every team plays the same rhythm type of schedule and has the same issues, it's the A..

General Granny*

Just seeing how much Lehner has changed and elevated his game is worth it to bring in some internal competition, oh and not to mention he's a great goalie prospect that helped us stay in the playoff race and raised his stock around the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteLight*

....do you not remember Andy going out and Bishop keeping us in the playoff hunt? Their WAS indeed a need.

Hello Robin Lehner

Just seeing how much Lehner has changed and elevated his game is worth it to bring in some internal competition, oh and not to mention he's a great goalie prospect that helped us stay in the playoff race and raised his stock around the league.

That's the ONLY good reason to bring him in, but we don't even have any proof that Lehner elevated because of that. For all we know Lehner would have been awesome this season regardless... He has Andy for competition, and if he wanted to play in the NHL full time, he needed to elevate his play anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

OMadahey

Nov 21, 2012
capital city
Really all that doesn't matter. Because I'd think that Bishop value is either the same or has risen since the trade. If Ottawa tried trading him now or in the near future they'd get at least a 2nd or betterb

General Granny*

Really all that doesn't matter. Because I'd think that Bishop value is either the same or has risen since the trade. If Ottawa tried trading him now or in the near future they'd get at least a 2nd or betterb

This.

I don't know what the **** he's complaining about.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
DOesn't the schedule go crazy in a few weeks htough? Lots of back to back to backs? THat's when having 2 competent goalies pays off.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So he should be playing, not sitting.

I'm pretty sure when we acquired Bishop, we didn't know this lockout was going to drag on to at least January.

Saying you hate the Bishop trade because he's stealing AHL games from Lehner is only an argument you can make in pure hindsight. Bishop wasn't supposed to see a single AHL game this year.

I agree, Lehner SHOULD be playing.
... so should Spezza. And Karlsson, And Alfredsson. And Turris. And the rest of the NHL roster.

We're making the best of a bad situation right now. To call the trade bad because we're in the situation we're currently in presumes that GM's should make trades with the worst-case-scenario in mind. For Murray NOT to make that trade last year "because a potential lockout would create a logjam on our farm team" is both mind-numbingly pessimistic, as well as a textbook lesson in poor management.

Also, as an aside, separate from my thoughts above, about the 2nd round pick we gave up for Bish:
I think the 2012 draft is going to go down as one of the worst drafts of the last 15 years. 1999 can't be topped as worst-ever, but I think the 2012 will be the worst draft of the new millennium once we've had 10 years to reflect on it. It was, IMO, a combination of very uncertain and underwhelming elite players at the top (after Yakupov) and terrible depth after the 1st round.

If more than 5 players drafted in the 2nd round this past year become productive NHLers, I'll be legit surprised. I mean, we used our 3rd rounder on Maidens, a legit "hail mary" pick mostly because I think the org realized that the only skill left in the draft at that point had massive red flags attached. Barring a massive stroke of unanticipated good luck, I have almost no confidence in anyone we picked this year ever playing more than 50 games with the Sens, after Ceci of course.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I'm pretty sure when we acquired Bishop, we didn't know this lockout was going to drag on to at least January.

Saying you hate the Bishop trade because he's stealing AHL games from Lehner is only an argument you can make in pure hindsight. Bishop wasn't supposed to see a single AHL game this year.

I agree, Lehner SHOULD be playing.
... so should Spezza. And Karlsson, And Alfredsson. And Turris. And the rest of the NHL roster.

We're making the best of a bad situation right now. To call the trade bad because we're in the situation we're currently in presumes that GM's should make trades with the worst-case-scenario in mind. For Murray NOT to make that trade last year "because a potential lockout would create a logjam on our farm team" is both mind-numbingly pessimistic, as well as a textbook lesson in poor management.

Also, as an aside, separate from my thoughts above, about the 2nd round pick we gave up for Bish:
I think the 2012 draft is going to go down as one of the worst drafts of the last 15 years. 1999 can't be topped as worst-ever, but I think the 2012 will be the worst draft of the new millennium once we've had 10 years to reflect on it. It was, IMO, a combination of very uncertain and underwhelming elite players at the top (after Yakupov) and terrible depth after the 1st round.

If more than 5 players drafted in the 2nd round this past year become productive NHLers, I'll be legit surprised. I mean, we used our 3rd rounder on Maidens, a legit "hail mary" pick mostly because I think the org realized that the only skill left in the draft at that point had massive red flags attached. Barring a massive stroke of unanticipated good luck, I have almost no confidence in anyone we picked this year ever playing more than 50 games with the Sens, after Ceci of course.

Isn't that 2nd rounder a 2013 pick? Which is suppose to be full of good prospects not just in the 1st.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Isn't that 2nd rounder a 2013 pick? Which is suppose to be full of good prospects not just in the 1st.

Ah yes, you're right. I got the "Turris 2nd rounder" and the "Bishop 2nd rounder" mixed up.

So, to recap: whichever trade it was where we gave up the 2012 2nd rounder? I don't care about that pick whatsoever.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Now if anyone doubts that he is just trolling...

I only have a few minutes but quickly (could find more with more time) :

- Anderson was injured, we were right in the middle of a playoff race and the team (players, coachs, management) clearly had no confidence in Auld. It could have been disastrous for Lehner confidence to put him in so much pressure as a 19 y/o. Imagine if he ruined the season?

- Create an internal competition. We only had 1 goalie prospect... Lehner must have felt entitled to his future. It was a wake-up call for him... like "wow a 6'7 guy that has dominated the AHL is now competing with me"

- Adress a position of weakness (goaltending was a weakness and is now a strenght... Need a drawing? Gerber/Auld/Elliott --> Anderson/Lehner/Bishop)

- Who the heck do you expect to draft with that 2nd rounder? 2n coming of Mario Lemieux? A guy better than Bishop? No, chances remain very low that we'd develop a better player in 4-5 years.

- We already have ton of prospects, why not use 1 freaking draft pick to add a goalie that is FULLY developped and who has serious potential? Are we seriously going to hurt because we have 1 less 18 y/o prospect but a 25 y/o player instead? (note the difference between prospect and player... 1 is a sure thing, the other is not)

- Bishop is at least still worth a 2nd, maybe we'll get even more if he can raise his stock (hard to do with non-stop lockouts though). He has nothing else to prove in the AHL, he needs some NHL games.

Conclusion : do we really care that much about a 2nd round pick? Ya let's trade Da Costa, Petersson, Ceci, etc for 2nds! It would be awesome

Seriously, it must be cereals, today's youth is incapable of reasoning

We're not talking about characters on a XboX video game but human beings... There's a lot of psychology in real life, sports included. Not sure what you have chosen to study but please don't choose management, you clearly have no skills in that. Your thought process is way too simple.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Now if anyone doubts that he is just trolling...

I only have a few minutes but quickly (could find more with more time) :

- Anderson was injured, we were right in the middle of a playoff race and the team (players, coachs, management) clearly had no confidence in Auld. It could have been disastrous for Lehner confidence to put him in so much pressure as a 19 y/o. Imagine if he ruined the season?

- Create an internal competition. We only had 1 goalie prospect... Lehner must have felt entitled to his future. It was a wake-up call for him... like "wow a 6'7 guy that has dominated the AHL is now competing with me"

- Adress a position of weakness (goaltending was a weakness and is now a strenght... Need a drawing? Gerber/Auld/Elliott --> Anderson/Lehner/Bishop)

- Who the heck do you expect to draft with that 2nd rounder? 2n coming of Mario Lemieux? A guy better than Bishop? No, chances remain very low that we'd develop a better player in 4-5 years.

- We already have ton of prospects, why not use 1 freaking draft pick to add a goalie that is FULLY developped and who has serious potential? Are we seriously going to hurt because we have 1 less 18 y/o prospect but a 25 y/o player instead? (note the difference between prospect and player... 1 is a sure thing, the other is not)

- Bishop is at least still worth a 2nd, maybe we'll get even more if he can raise his stock (hard to do with non-stop lockouts though). He has nothing else to prove in the AHL, he needs some NHL games.

Conclusion : do we really care that much about a 2nd round pick? Ya let's trade Da Costa, Petersson, Ceci, etc for 2nds! It would be awesome

Seriously, it must be cereals, today's youth is incapable of reasoning

We're not talking about characters on a XboX video game but human beings... There's a lot of psychology in real life, sports included. Not sure what you have chosen to study but please don't choose management, you clearly have no skills in that. Your thought process is way too simple.

i fully agree with you. All of your points are valid except one

Basically what the OP is stating is that if Bishop walks at the end of the year because he has the option too. ANDDDDD there are an enormous amount of teams that would pay a big price for him on the open market - that 2nd rounder becomes a waste.

I don't think it was a huge waste but it is pretty crappy that we cant get ful value of a 2nd rounder.

But worst things have happened. Ppl overpay a great deal to load up for playoffs, all we did was give up a 2nd rounder for a goalie.

General Granny*

i fully agree with you. All of your points are valid except one

Basically what the OP is stating is that if Bishop walks at the end of the year because he has the option too. ANDDDDD there are an enormous amount of teams that would pay a big price for him on the open market - that 2nd rounder becomes a waste.

I don't think it was a huge waste but it is pretty crappy that we cant get ful value of a 2nd rounder.

But worst things have happened. Ppl overpay a great deal to load up for playoffs, all we did was give up a 2nd rounder for a goalie.

He's still an RFA at the end of the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad