Pre-Game Talk: Week to Trade Every Player (@TOR, @PIT, @WAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Caption this picture.

t0lsmt.jpg

"Ok, I think I got this now. That's the D-zone. What's the 'D' stand for again?"

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Caption this picture.

t0lsmt.jpg

"See Coach. It's all about how you align the finger straight with the wrist while keeping the rest of your fingers relaxed but clearly tucked in under the palm. I mean, anyone can whistle but to effectively point you really need to work on the correct form."

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
TMV, are you (or anyone) listening to the Roy show?

Roy pretty much confirmed the Varly rumors. He said they have been held hostage by his groin issues for two years and might be something they have to look into after the season. Now of course the question wasn't "are you going to trade Varly?" But he just kind of said it in describing why he's been out.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Patrick keeps saying Duchene turned the puck over twice on the pp which lead to the shorthanded goal. Wasn't it Mackinnon?

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Patrick keeps saying Duchene turned the puck over twice on the pp which lead to the shorthanded goal. Wasn't it Mackinnon?

it was, also hopefully greg can get with soderberg and iginla now instead of being stuck with guys without offensive skill

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He said that they need someone to step up as a third line center. His biggest problem is when Mitchell is out, doesn't have anyone to replace him. That's where they feel the Winchester injury has hurt them the most.

Someone asked I'm not entirely sure but something like their biggest problem is getting pressured on the breakout and he says no, that's it's when they give the puck away Unpressured like when Beauch did it or MacK did on the PP.

Says last night that it was a combo of guys not helping him but Berra not having the best night. They need a goalie to make a big save to win a game, that's how they did it in Montreal, Boston.

Special teams were a big problem, need them to create momentum especially on the road. Even if they don't score need to get momentum from them.

He said trade rumors happen to every team not winning but he'd be "very surprised" if anything came from them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
As I said in the other thread, if the talks started up on Varly after the start, it would be because of his injury issues. What we know of on his groin is probably only part of the real history. I'm sure he has had some groin issues he has played through as well over the past couple seasons.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Kind of odd Patrick saying Berra didn't have the best night and the goalie needs to make big saves. Berra was fine I thought and the reason for those goals all rested on the special teams. For some reason it seems Roy expects the goaltender to bail everyone out instead of the defense needing to help out the goalie, which surprises me considering he used to be a goalie.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Kind of odd Patrick saying Berra didn't have the best night and the goalie needs to make big saves. Berra was fine I thought and the reason for those goals all rested on the special teams. For some reason it seems Roy expects the goaltender to bail everyone out instead of the defense needing to help out the goalie, which surprises me considering he used to be a goalie.

Maybe if Berra makes a save on the SHG, the game doesn't proceed to unfold the way it does? Now, that's not me saying the SHG was Berra's fault, a lot of things went wrong that led to it. Roy saying Berra "didn't have his best game" last night isn't a lie, just as it isn't wholly true either. Berra probably would like another crack at that SHG again, but the PP goals that were scored, that's on the rest of the team. I mean, look at the Montreal game, he made some nice point blank saves that I think helped give his team some momentum and confidence. And he did call out the PP/PK, he said last night in his postgame that he "didn't think we could be as bad as we were in Florida" (paraphrasing) and then proceeded to say that last night's game was worse than Florida.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Roy's "system" relies heavily on the goaltender standing on his head.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Does anyone have a good place that has gifs or quick videos off all the goal-scoring plays for games if I wanted to go back and look at them? I was making dinner most of the 3rd period so couldn't watch very closely.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Maybe if Berra makes a save on the SHG, the game doesn't proceed to unfold the way it does? Now, that's not me saying the SHG was Berra's fault, a lot of things went wrong that led to it. Roy saying Berra "didn't have his best game" last night isn't a lie, just as it isn't wholly true either. Berra probably would like another crack at that SHG again, but the PP goals that were scored, that's on the rest of the team. I mean, look at the Montreal game, he made some nice point blank saves that I think helped give his team some momentum and confidence. And he did call out the PP/PK, he said last night in his postgame that he "didn't think we could be as bad as we were in Florida" (paraphrasing) and then proceeded to say that last night's game was worse than Florida.

I agree Berra wasn't perfect, he could have had that shortie. But also if I think if the PK doesn't play awful and allow the goals they did which were possibly preventable with better positioning, the game could have been 1-1 or 2-1 instead of 4-1 and would have been more manageable to come back from. I just don't think Roy needed to call out Berra after 1 average game. I thought he did make some big saves to keep them in it. The special teams and the bad penalties (especially by comeau) were the biggest factors to that game being like it was.

I really hope Roy starts looking at his system soon because it doesn't work against a lot of well coached teams and ends up being a liability. I also think that maybe Army needs to go, not because he's at fault necessarily, but to maybe bring in a fresh point of view to running a system differently.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I agree Berra wasn't perfect, he could have had that shortie. But also if I think if the PK doesn't play awful and allow the goals they did which were possibly preventable with better positioning, the game could have been 1-1 or 2-1 instead of 4-1 and would have been more manageable to come back from. I just don't think Roy needed to call out Berra after 1 average game. I thought he did make some big saves to keep them in it. The special teams and the bad penalties (especially by comeau) were the biggest factors to that game being like it was.

I really hope Roy starts looking at his system soon because it doesn't work against a lot of well coached teams and ends up being a liability. I also think that maybe Army needs to go, not because he's at fault necessarily, but to maybe bring in a fresh point of view to running a system differently.

It's possible that both Farrish and Army need to go. Roy bluntly stated that "Dave has the PK" in his post game comments last night (again, paraphrasing, but he definitely said that Farrish handles it). We've never been able to fully figure out who heads the PP...I'd imagine it's handled by both Roy and Army, but there are tendencies that are still there that were there when Sacco was the coach w/ Army on the staff.

Things need to be tighter, no doubt. Their special teams have cost them games this season, that cannot be disputed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yep... the biggest problem that the Avs have in the defensive zone is pretty simple. They can't move the puck, and that is mostly a personnel thing that they keep trying to solve. There are some coaching things that they can do to help it (bringing the forwards way down), but that hurts the offense significantly. That is a big part of what they did last year to improve things down the stretch without EJ. Once the Avs can move the puck better from the backend (probably not happening until both Bigras and Zadorov are in the NHL), this team will take a large step forward.

Up front the Avs best players are ones that play with a high pace to their game. They don't have many that can slow the game down and do good work on the cycle (Landy and Soda are really the only two at this point). The Avs are drafting those sorts of players, but that takes time and MacK has to work on that part of the game. A few years ago, the Avs had a top 6 that had Landy, ROR, and Stastny all being able to slow the game down. In the future the Avs will have Landy, Rantanen, Soderberg, and Grigs (if he develops) that can do the same. Right now there is just a lack of that sort of player. Also, the Avs need a #3C that can stay healthy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad