Pre-Game Talk: Week of "We need our wingers back" - VGK & ARI

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Anyone watch Bednar’s presser? Chambers has a complete brain freeze and forgets Bowers’ name and then asks how it feels to sign a player who didn’t have a very good offensive season in college. Not to be outdone, Dater then asks him if he’s going to watch the BU game this afternoon.

giphy.gif
If Chambers asked me questions like that I'd show him up for the ignorant clown he is

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Avs season is exhibit A of the value of goaltending. I honestly think hockey is just 60% how good your goalie is and 40% everything else. Grubauer is just on a level I have not seen an Avs goalie reach since 2014 Varlamov. It's like he just flipped a switch and was like"I'm done sucking".

The Avs slump this year was mostly to do with neither goalie being able to stop a beachball, and their recent streak is mostly just Grubauer standing on his head.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The more I look at the rest of the schedule I just can't shake off the bad feeling that the ROW we wasted last night will come back and bite us in the butt. We have a very tough schedule especially with the B2B. I really don't want Gru to play 4 games in 6 days. I know he will get three days off before the playoffs start but that would be asking for an injuries. And if we play Varly in the B2B he will have a lot of pressure on him after not playing for quite a while, being in a playoffs race and with what Gru has done lately. If we lose his game and not make the playoffs he will get crucified.

So what do the Avs do? Play Gru in both games and hope we clinch early to rest Gru? He is getting two days off prior to those games so he might be good to go for both. Ok I think I convinced myself to go with Gru in both games and deal with the rest later.

Reactions: MacBradley

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
^ That is also the 1 thing that scares me.

All 4 of our remaining games are tough games.
Two good things going for us is we are playing the Blues on their third game in four days so they should be a bit tired but they are fighting for 3rd place with DAL being close so they will be ready. The 2nd thing is EDM will be playing on a B2B just like us so no excuse there for us.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Two good things going for us is we are playing the Blues on their third game in four days so they should be a bit tired but they are fighting for 3rd place with DAL being close so they will be ready. The 2nd thing is EDM will be playing on a B2B just like us so no excuse there for us.
Ok, good. Very happy to hear Edmonton will also be on a B2B.

Idk why but I'm getting super scared that our season will come down to the very last game and we have to play the Sharks on the road. That will be a TOUGH game. I'm hoping we can get a point in STL, and then 2 points against EDM. That would put us in a solid position I am hoping.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Ok, good. Very happy to hear Edmonton will also be on a B2B.

Idk why but I'm getting super scared that our season will come down to the very last game and we have to play the Sharks on the road. That will be a TOUGH game. I'm hoping we can get a point in STL, and then 2 points against EDM. That would put us in a solid position I am hoping.
Arizona has scored 7 goals in their last 6 games

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So they might be due to start scoring.
Looking at their forward corps... That isn't likely. They're deep, but extremely weak at the top end. Tocchet's coaching is the only reason they're in it at all, they'll win their games defensively if they win them at all.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Looking at their forward corps... That isn't likely. They're deep, but extremely weak at the top end. Tocchet's coaching is the only reason they're in it at all, they'll win their games defensively if they win them at all.
Agree but just saying that just like great scoring teams go into scoring slump, low scoring teams also go into scoring spree sometimes. They haven't scored for a while so they are probably due to score more.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Agree but just saying that just like great scoring teams go into scoring slump, low scoring teams also go into scoring spree sometimes. They haven't scored for a while so they are probably due to score more.
While this is true, structurally, and talent wise, that roster is not set up to score lots of goals. They win their games with relentless defensive discipline. High scoring games are not their friend. If they stick to their game, they could grind out several more wins and not score more than two goals a game.

Reactions: MacBradley and Avs

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Need help with goalies here. I know it's fantasy but what do we think the likely breakdown of goalie usage will be going into the last week? They've got to use Varly eventually, right? I think we need to give Grubs a break somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad