Pre-Game Talk: Week of Wandering (@NYI, @NJ, @NYR, @MIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I think the biggest issue is that Noreau is probably even worse than Redmond at the NHL level.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
He's played a total of 6 NHL games at the age of 28. I think he deserves at least a shot to prove this wrong.

At this point i really don't care. Call him up, and Smith, Hishon, Henley... it's probably for the best since it enhances our chances to draft Matthews.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Agozinno will be sent down first

I agree, he was the one scratched tonight. Technically they don't have to send anyone to activate Tangs because they are rolling one short as it is. Though if Agz isn't going to get in games they will send him.i actually think they might be leaning on a touch of optimism with Tangs. Knee injury and he's slow to begin with plus it's a bit early.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy on the radio:
- Duchene is fun to watch. He's playing with a lot of confidence, is around the net. Since they put that top line together, they've been clicking well. Last night was first time they hadn't possessed puck more than other team. They control the game. He's happy he put them together but Duchene has benefited the most so far. As a coach, you don't know if you want to spread it out through the lineup.
- He thinks it's something they've been doing really well, shooting the puck more. In their last 11 games, they've scored 3+ 9 times. Their record is probably not what it should be. They're 7th in the NHL. Their shots for and against are even now, when they were way behind.
- They all know the answer as to why no winning streak. They've been working hard on defense, and need better goaltending. Reto was very good yesterday. You need good goaltending.
- He thinks Varly can play better. He went over Varly's stats, said he's lucky to be 5-7 with his numbers. They didn't score much for Reto. They need Varly to play with more confidence. They all know they don't have the best defense in the NHL, but they rely on their goaltending and Varly needs to be one of their best players.
- Varly is still #1 and will play tomorrow. He has a lot of confidence in him. It's his job to try to find a way to get him going, just like they had to get Duchene going.
- There is signs that are important. Varly works hard, he's not happy. His intentions are all good. If he feels he's not working hard, it'd be an easy decision.

- They're just trying to play well on the road. He feels they played some good hockey lately. Against Islanders 5 on 5 he liked their game. Even keel was something they did well 2 years ago, wants that again.
- Lundqvist plays with a lot of confidence. He's really sound in his net, doesn't challenge much but is in his comfort zone. They have a good defense and he benefits from it. He's always forcing the shooters to make great shots.
- if you're not in the picture by Thanksgiving, you need to get on a roll and he's aware of that. They're just trying to go one game at a time. The approach of players is getting better.
- Right now, he likes the way Grigorenko is playing. He's got great IQ, thinks he deserves a chance to play at third line center. He's competing better. His puck protection is a lot better. He's curious to put Tanguay and Iggy with him. He likes that Mitchell can play on the wing because Soderberg struggles on faceoffs. Carl is defending well, playing well defensively. Roy is exposing Carl. He's using him against top lines. He uses him a lot defensively, never starts him a lot offensively. It's tougher for him to get +. Anytime he has offensive faceoff he gets Macks line out there.
- He likes Soderberg's size. They were looking for a big center.

Last edited:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Roy on the radio:
- Duchene is fun to watch. He's playing with a lot of confidence, is around the net. Since they put that top line together, they've been clicking well. Last night was first time they hadn't possessed puck more than other team. They control the game. He's happy he put them together but Duchene has benefited the most so far. As a coach, you don't know if you want to spread it out through the lineup.
- He thinks it's something they've been doing really well, shooting the puck more. In their last 11 games, they've scored 3+ 9 times. Their record is probably not what it should be. They're 7th in the NHL. Their shots for and against are even now, when they were way behind.
- They all know the answer as to why no winning streak. They've been working hard on defense, and need better goaltending. Reto was very good yesterday. You need good goaltending.
- He thinks Varly can play better. He went over Varly's stats, said he's lucky to be 5-7 with his numbers. They didn't score much for Reto. They need Varly to play with more confidence. They all know they don't have the best defense in the NHL, but they rely on their goaltending and Varly needs to be one of their best players.
- Varly is still #1 and will play tomorrow. He has a lot of confidence in him. It's his job to try to find a way to get him going, just like they had to get Duchene going.
- There is signs that are important. Varly works hard, he's not happy. His intentions are all good. If he feels he's not working hard, it'd be an easy decision.

- They're just trying to play well on the road. He feels they played some good hockey lately. Against Islanders 5 on 5 he liked their game. Even keel was something they did well 2 years ago, wants that again.
- Lundqvist plays with a lot of confidence. He's really sound in his net, doesn't challenge much but is in his comfort zone. They have a good defense and he benefits from it. He's always forcing the shooters to make great shots.
- if you're not in the picture by Thanksgiving, you need to get on a roll and he's aware of that. They're just trying to go one game at a time. The approach of players is getting better.
- Right now, he likes the way Grigorenko is playing. He's got great IQ, thinks he deserves a chance to play at third line center. He's competing better. His puck protection is a lot better. He's curious to put Tanguay and Iggy with him. He likes that Mitchell can play on the wing because Soderberg struggles on faceoffs. Carl is defending well, playing well defensively. Roy is exposing Carl. He's using him against top lines. He uses him a lot defensively, never starts him a lot offensively. It's tougher for him to get +. Anytime he has offensive faceoff he gets Macks line out there.
- He likes Soderberg's size. They were looking for a big center.

Noooooooooooo!

thanks for the summary TMV. I'm not stoked on Varly being in for the Rangers game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have nothing to base this on, but this just feels like the last straw for Varly. It seems like Roy is giving him the rope and Varly is either going to hang himself by playing crappy or turn his game around.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I have nothing to base this on, but this just feels like the last straw for Varly. It seems like Roy is giving him the rope and Varly is either going to hang himself by playing crappy or turn his game around.

Seems like the kind of thing Roy would do. If Varly is struggling around the trade deadline this season could get very interesting.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm ok with giving Tanguay another chance to succeed. He needs a short leash though. He lacks defensive skill and effort but he was downright dangerous a year ago offensively. Maybe something was bothering him early in the year? I honestly believe age has simply caught up with him but I'm definitely ok with giving him a shot with Grigorenko and Iginla. I mean that's our 3rd line anyway (right?).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Roy put it a good way on the show, he said we have to get Dutchy going before so now we have to get Varly going. But yeah at what point is Roy going to lose patience with it.

Kento, he called it the third line on the radio so yeah pretty much. So it's a good thing he sees Tangs and Iggy as third line players at least.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Roy put it a good way on the show, he said we have to get Dutchy going before so now we have to get Varly going. But yeah at what point is Roy going to lose patience with it.

Kento, he called it the third line on the radio so yeah pretty much. So it's a good thing he sees Tangs and Iggy as third line players at least.

How do you get a goalie going though. Can't put him with better line mates or change his role like we did with Duchene.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
How do you get a goalie going though. Can't put him with better line mates or change his role like we did with Duchene.
Making sure he sees the puck better and forcing the shots more from the outside.

There is no doubt he needs to play better but I feel that Varly has been screened a lot more than Berra and this is not to take anything away from Berra because he has been really good except for a couple of games. With that being said Varly still needs to up his game. Screen or not, overall he has been giving up some very weak goals at times when the team was just starting to gain momentum.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Yeah, I was thinking about the screening aspect. That's something we can control. Don't really agree with the shots from the out side part though. Isn't that pretty much what everyone wants to do? To me that's not really trying to get someone going more just asking everyone to play better.

I don't think Varly has been screened more. I just think Berra is better at seeing through people (I'm sure his size helps) and we don't notice it as much with him. It's a weakness of Varly though, which weaknesses tend to stand out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Varly need to play his way out of this funk and that is what he is being given a chance to do.

The screened goals are not the real issue. It is the very soft goals he has given up quite a bit this year.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I like his reasoning for keeping Mitchell with Soderberg. Allow Mitchell to take the defensive zone draws, and to be honest the Mitchell-Soderberg-Comeau line could actually be a pretty darn good checking line to go up against top lines. I thought I saw Soderberg going up against Tavares 5v5 in the Islanders game a ton, makes sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad