Pre-Game Talk: Week of Wandering (@NYI, @NJ, @NYR, @MIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Fact: Iginla has not scored on the PP from the point his entire time here. He was close last year with one but Hishon tipped it in. Iginla shouldnt be used on the point ever yet for 1.25 seasons now hes being put there. Its as dumb as having Ryan Smyth play behind the net on the PP lol how tremendous was that. Ryan Smyth brought in to tip in goals on the PP managed to score 2-3 tip in goals for us. Brunette out tipped him that season.

Not true, he scored one last season vs Edmonton when we came back after being down 3-0 and tied it 3-3, only to lose 4-3. It was the game when Tanguay had that ridiculous feed to ROR in front of the net, Iggy scored in the 2nd period on the PP from the point on a one-time pass from Barrie.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Fact: Iginla has not scored on the PP from the point his entire time here. He was close last year with one but Hishon tipped it in. Iginla shouldnt be used on the point ever yet for 1.25 seasons now hes being put there. Its as dumb as having Ryan Smyth play behind the net on the PP lol how tremendous was that. Ryan Smyth brought in to tip in goals on the PP managed to score 2-3 tip in goals for us. Brunette out tipped him that season.
Considering Hishon has 1 career NHL goal, and it was on that play against Rinne, I don't see how he could have tipped in an Iginla goal. He screened on one, but didn't tip it.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
The setup isn't for Iggy to be on the point. He is between the face off dot and top of the circle on the blocker side of the goalie waiting for one timers from Barrie. And didn't Iggy score on one early this year.

The PP with Landy in the middle of the PKers is the same as the Preds? I believe. I just watched a game where they were using the same system. It didn't work for them either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It isn't an uncommon system to run on the PP... it just isn't a great one. The coaches are throwing crap at the wall there.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
It isn't an uncommon system to run on the PP... it just isn't a great one. The coaches are throwing crap at the wall there.

Yeah, they are basically running the PP from the half wall and trapping themselves on one side of the ice. Needs to be more spread out and get the defenders to move. It is really dumb when you think about it. All of our top talent is on one side of the ice as a decoy to get Iginla a one timer. A one timer that will not be screened. What the hell is going on?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If they ran the PP about ~5-10' lower, cycled the players low, brought Barrie over to the strong side, and pulled the other point man to the top of the faceoff circle I think it would be a lot more effective. Right now they are asking Landy and MacK to pull off the Sedin tip.

The lack of movement is the biggest issue with it IMO. It is relying on a great tip or great shot.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If they ran the PP about ~5-10' lower, cycled the players low, brought Barrie over to the strong side, and pulled the other point man to the top of the faceoff circle I think it would be a lot more effective. Right now they are asking Landy and MacK to pull off the Sedin tip.

The lack of movement is the biggest issue with it IMO. It is relying on a great tip or great shot.
Are they? They've only tried it once all year, and it worked, but I've yet to see it tried again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That is what it looks like to me. It isn't open because it is the first teams are covering on that PP setup.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

This.

It's amazing when you compare it with most other teams. Our guys don't move their feet, doesn't matter if the guy with the puck (normally MacKinnon) has no one to pass the puck because everybody is covered.

They only skate once the pass/shot is deflected and they try to regain possession.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
They are 13th overall, but also 27th on the road where they are 6 for 50.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Going into yesterday it was 10th anyway. I'm not saying it's great, I've had the same gripes. Just funny it's still hanging on. I don't know why being on the road would make that much of a difference.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Gormley should be in over Redmond but both should be in over Guenin.

Both Redmond and Gormley played pretty poorly. I'm okay with Gorms be scratched to press the pause button for a second on him. As long as he isn't out for 3-4-5+ games. A game or two for him to reset should be a good thing. He needs to play more physical.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Gormley should be in over Redmond but both should be in over Guenin.
Most coaches would probably make a change to the third pairing if they were on the ice for 3 goals the night before. It being a back to back game just makes it an easier decision for Roy. It's just too bad Guenin is all he has to go too.

And no, I wouldn't call up Zadorov right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad