Pre-Game Talk: Week of Waiting [vs BOS | vs ARZ]

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Anyone else think Zadorov has been excellent so far? I honestly haven't noticed him make a single bone-headed play yet. He looks the part of a top-4 guy right now to me, that's for sure.
I've been one of his biggest critics and thought he looked good in the first 2 games. It would be interesting to see what he looks like mid season when fatigue becomes a factor.

Reactions: MacBradley

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I have also been a critique of Zads, but I agree that he's been solid to start the year. No glaringly bad mistakes, just lots of solid consistent play and a really great offensive pass that led to a goal.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
- I'd leave Timmins the whole year with the Eagles. Give him #1 duty down there, we don't need him and it's better for him long term.

- Disagree that Bura has been good. He's exactly how Caps fans painted him.

- I liked Nuke and he seems to enjoy being with the team. Love his on-ice attitude.

- Kadri is fine, his wingers aren't.

- Grubs, like most goalies, is much better when he's facing lots of shots.

- Team better not start turtling with a one-goal lead going into the 3rd like they did last game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I’m also not a huge fan. He’s a fine 7D, but other than his PK and shot he doesn’t bring a ton to the table.

Realistically I think that's what Graves is anyway. A #7/8.

Cole is likely ahead of him in the depth chart when he gets back, and I think Rosen probably is too. He was quite good in pre-season, they just sent him down because he's not eligible for waivers and Graves is. They didn't want to risk hurting their depth.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Turtling while up a goal in the 3rd is an excellent strategy, but you have to implement it correctly.

You still have to battle for possession, but take dramatically less risk while doing so. There should never be any possibility of an opposing odd man rush (except possibly a 3 on 2)

Too often though it does seem like the Avs don't adjust to this well and completely concede possession.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Zadorov is underrated. For his size he is a very mobile guy and he has gotten very good at getting under the opponent's skin. I love what he brings to the Avs, especially as the rest of their D-core are on the smaller side.

I'll guess the Avs won't retain Zadorov long term due to the entry draft and cap considerations. However, I also think Zadorov will continue to improve this season and eventually become a highly coveted D-man.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Whole team will never be scoring at once. Let's save up some of Kadri's heroics for when the top line struggles.

Really though, he's look great in the 2C slot. Best 2C we've had since ROR/Duchy was on the team. A shanked shot off the cross bar (thus removing the "nothing to show for it") shouldn't detract from that.

He’s fine. He’s had a lot of chances just some hard luck. He had an open net in the first game and hit the crossbar, that should’ve been a goal.

Kadri could have 4 points by now if his linemates could finish and if he didn't hit the crossbar in game 1. Some guys just aren't getting puck luck right now. Mackinnon and Makar come to mind.

giphy.gif

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I've been one of his biggest critics and thought he looked good in the first 2 games. It would be interesting to see what he looks like mid season when fatigue becomes a factor.
Z always seems to get better as the year goes on.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Z always seems to get better as the year goes on.

Well, that's mostly because he usually starts out so horribly. At least right now he appears to be in fighting form. Can't help but think the previous two years his conditioning just wasn't quite up to snuff.

There are still massive deficits to his game though. I don't like him at all on the PK--he doesn't read the play all that well and is an absolutely lousy shot-blocker. Z is at his best when he's leveling guys and contributing to the offense a little. I'm not saying he's horrible by any means, but if he thinks his game warrants a massive contract, I seriously doubt he's in Colorado past this season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sounds like Cole is out of the non-contact jersey. That's an insane recovery time from double hip surgery, we'll see how he actually looks on the ice though. With Timmins down he must be expected to start Thursday.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
It'll be awesome to hear what a wonderful story Cole's recovery is, and how quickly he came back. It'll be the talk of the team for 2-3 games and we'll switch him out for... I dunno, Rosen.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I'm gonna call him Robocole for the rest of the year. Bionic hips and all!

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Z is amazing in the playoffs. I dont know why he cant play at or around that level every night.

Because the game and the rules change in his favor during the playoffs. Saw the same thing with Cole last year as well. 3/4 of the regular season it was pitchfork-time every time he was mentioned, but the dude was great in the playoffs for us.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I wonder if it's physically possible for this team to win a game after a break. We'll have to wait and see if things are different this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad