Pre-Game Talk: Week of Nobody Good (vs ANA, vs AZ, vs STL x2)

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
JJ had good stretches of play in previous game and a couple of good saves. He is very shaky, however and has big issues in fundamentals like positioning his big body with big equipment wrapped around it and tracking the puck. The first problem is fixable, I don't think the latter one will be.

He is so big though, that he will be a decent backup if he just learns to position himself properly and set those pads correctly. He should watch Rinne, for an example, of how a big goalie plays and learn from there about positioning yourself. His movement seemed ok while on skates, but he looks very awkward many times in setting himself between shooter and the goal. Good game yesterday, anyway.

Avs are most likely going to face Golden Knights during playoffs in second round regardless of who wins the division. I'd rest Grubauer as much as possible and let JJ play whenever possible unless he starts performing like Miska.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The way the Avs have played the last 3 weeks it's not like Gru should be very tired. And it looks like he doesn't even hit the ice on practice days. He should be fine for now.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Have a feeling the Blues need to start Binnington. A loss would be pretty painful for them right now

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Mack didn’t come out for the 1st star. I’m going to assume right now that he does not play tonite otherwise I just might get disapointed 15 min before game time as usual.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The way the Avs have played the last 3 weeks it's not like Gru should be very tired. And it looks like he doesn't even hit the ice on practice days. He should be fine for now.

I get what you are saying, but dude...I get tired looking at him hunched over like that for 60 minutes a night. Joe's going to get a backup at the deadline that will allow him to use the backup to start and JJ to backup so he can give Grubs a night in the hotel room away from it all at some point.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I get what you are saying, but dude...I get tired looking at him hunched over like that for 60 minutes a night. Joe's going to get a backup at the deadline that will allow him to use the backup to start and JJ to backup so he can give Grubs a night in the hotel room away from it all at some point.
And we shouldn't forget that it's not just the physical act of stopping pucks that are tiring, the mental aspect of tracking a small black piece of rubber for 60 minutes and constantly keeping your head on a swivel, adjusting your position, etc that is both mentally and physically draining.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The easier March and early April schedule is over and the Avs are about to run through a much tougher stretch in the next two weeks. The Blues finally got Parayko back and they're starting to roll again. I was hoping for more than a 4 point lead over Vegas for this stretch, but the Kings couldn't close out a 2-0 lead last night.

upload_2021-4-13_8-39-16.png

Meanwhile, Vegas' schedule is paper soft:

upload_2021-4-13_8-44-18.png

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The easier March and early April schedule is over and the Avs are about to run through a much tougher stretch in the next two weeks. The Blues finally got Parayko back and they're starting to roll again. I was hoping for more than a 4 point lead over Vegas for this stretch, but the Kings couldn't close out a 2-0 lead last night.

View attachment 421765

Meanwhile, Vegas' schedule is paper soft:

View attachment 421767

The rest of our April schedule is certainly tougher than Vegas', but if we can at least stay tied with them we'd probably have a decent chance at grabbing 1st place in the last 5 games in May when we face SJ and LAK who will likely be on holiday already, whilst Vegas play teams that should still be jockeying for playoff positioning, including 4 games in 6 days against the Wild and Blues to finish the season.

Also bear in mind that whilst Vegas' schedule in April is easier on paper, they do have an extra back-to-back compared to the Avs, in what is already a very compressed schedule. Avs have only one more b2b left - at the very end of the season when there will likely be some resting for the playoffs anyways; whereas Vegas have 3 more b2b's including 2 next week where they play 5 games in 7 days.

Colorado:

upload_2021-4-13_15-8-23.png

Vegas:

upload_2021-4-13_15-7-55.png

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Roy's head would have exploded when lil' Sam Girard was the main piece coming back from the Duchene trade.
He would've been fine with it, he's French Canadian. You can't tell me Tanguay, Briere, Talbot and Gelinas are coincidence.

I wouldn't even be upset if we don't win the division, much rather face Minnesota than St Louis. Let Vegas and St Louis fight it out.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Renouf szn

Really though, Timmins for Middleton seems like the smart call

Timmins for Middleton makes sense as a direct swap. Renouf getting called up as well probably means that MacDonald could miss some time due to that puck to the face, and that Nemeth and Byram aren't ready to go tomorrow.

Graves -- Makar
Toews --- Girard
Renouf -- Timmins

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am so effin confused, which division is the West's conference match up for the playoffs? NHL network keeps claiming it's the Central, but yesterday somebody said on another programme that Avs vs the Leafs in the Conference Finals would be amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00