Pre-Game Talk: Week of even more injuries? Please don't ... @CGY / @MIN / TOR

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wonder why they're not calling up Dries this year? He leads the Eagles in goals, points, and shots and had a goal last game. Plus he can play both center and wing.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Even 50 points would exceed even my most optimistic of expectations for Bura tbh. I had suspicions that he could hit 40-45 points for us in a more offensive role, especially if he started shooting the puck more. But I certainly didn't expect him to be playing at this level offensively.

Mind you there's more to the game than just points and I dont think he has played nearly as well as what his production would suggest. His production, if it were to extend to the full season, would suggest he's a 30+ goal, 60+ point 1st line winger. His work ethic has been a real bright spot though I will definitely say that, if he keeps the effort level up and keeps shooting the puck I'd be confident in saying he probably hits 20 Goals and 45 points on the year. He's shooting 2 shots per game right now which I think is his biggest contributor to the increased production. The last 2 years he's averaged just ~1.35 shots per game. Given that he actually has a really good shot, the more he shoots the better for him. I'd love to see him get those shots up into the 2.5-3.0 per game range. That'd be where I think you have a real chance to see him hit 30.

If his release was a fraction of a second faster he's probably a 40 goal scorer in the league honestly because it is laser accurate and deceptive. It just takes him that tad bit too long to get his shots off.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The problem with Bura is his production might demand more money than what he's really worth. We could call that the Kerfoot syndrome. The difference right now is he's being more clutch than Kerfoot so he gets that for him.

How he performs in the playoffs will be big to decide if he's worth that next contract or not. Right now I'm not too comfortable paying him legit top 6 money even if he gets 55-60 pts.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
SIAP - Joe Sakic interview on SN650 during Sunday's Vancouver-Lethbridge game. He briefly discusses the Calvert injury (Calvert had a CT scan), the Calvert play and lack of stoppage, Bowen Byram, and the Avs.

On a side note, do the media and most fans mispronounce big Z's last name? Bednar always seems to pronounce it differently and Sakic pronounces it the same way as Bednar in this interview.

Joe Sakic discusses Calvert's injury, what he likes in Bowen Byram, developing prospects - Sportsnet.ca

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Burakovsky has been a pleasant surprise offensively, but I love his work ethic (so far) and his ability to both gain the zone with ease and to get the puck out of our zone with his puck handling. It amazes me how he can do those things with ease yet he'll bobble so many passes on the PP lol.

Also, call me crazy but I'd roll with Bibeau/Werner to end this road trip. I wouldn't want to rush Grubauer back from whatever ailment he's dealing with for the last two games of this road trip. We're 2-1-0 with the Bibeau/Werner tandem, let's see how this thing plays out and then hopefully Grubauer can be as close to 100% as possible for Saturday vs Toronto.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Even 50 points would exceed even my most optimistic of expectations for Bura tbh. I had suspicions that he could hit 40-45 points for us in a more offensive role, especially if he started shooting the puck more. But I certainly didn't expect him to be playing at this level offensively.

Mind you there's more to the game than just points and I dont think he has played nearly as well as what his production would suggest. His production, if it were to extend to the full season, would suggest he's a 30+ goal, 60+ point 1st line winger. His work ethic has been a real bright spot though I will definitely say that, if he keeps the effort level up and keeps shooting the puck I'd be confident in saying he probably hits 20 Goals and 45 points on the year. He's shooting 2 shots per game right now which I think is his biggest contributor to the increased production. The last 2 years he's averaged just ~1.35 shots per game. Given that he actually has a really good shot, the more he shoots the better for him. I'd love to see him get those shots up into the 2.5-3.0 per game range. That'd be where I think you have a real chance to see him hit 30.

If his release was a fraction of a second faster he's probably a 40 goal scorer in the league honestly because it is laser accurate and deceptive. It just takes him that tad bit too long to get his shots off.
I figured 40 points from Bura would surpass my expectations of him. He sure looks to be on his way there. I still cant get over Makars 10 points in the last 5 games though.

Reactions: arun

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The problem with Bura is his production might demand more money than what he's really worth. We could call that the Kerfoot syndrome. The difference right now is he's being more clutch than Kerfoot so he gets that for him.

How he performs in the playoffs will be big to decide if he's worth that next contract or not. Right now I'm not too comfortable paying him legit top 6 money even if he gets 55-60 pts.
Hes been a pleasant surprise thus far. I do think he vanishes for stretches but hes been producing lately so I like him again.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Burakovsky has been a pleasant surprise offensively, but I love his work ethic (so far) and his ability to both gain the zone with ease and to get the puck out of our zone with his puck handling. It amazes me how he can do those things with ease yet he'll bobble so many passes on the PP lol.

Also, call me crazy but I'd roll with Bibeau/Werner to end this road trip. I wouldn't want to rush Grubauer back from whatever ailment he's dealing with for the last two games of this road trip. We're 2-1-0 with the Bibeau/Werner tandem, let's see how this thing plays out and then hopefully Grubauer can be as close to 100% as possible for Saturday vs Toronto.

I especially dont want his first game to be a pissed of Flames team

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wonder why they're not calling up Dries this year? He leads the Eagles in goals, points, and shots and had a goal last game. Plus he can play both center and wing.

I'm kinda curious too. Is he no longer waiver exempt or something?

If the PK continues to circle the drain I wouldn't mind them at least trying him out there for a little bit.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I still cant get over Makars 10 points in the last 5 games though.
1FF9926C-554C-4E68-978C-B71C8BF2828D.gif

Reactions: AvsGuy and Avsboy

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay

As long as Bura can finish the chances that he's going to get playing with guys like MacK then I'm okay with it... it's still a long season and we'll see what happens in the post season as well. The best part is, there's no rush, and he's an RFA again after this year and we retain his rights. Hopefully both sides avoid arbitration and we can find something that fits in market value wise.

Reactions: McMetal

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay

I've seen Bura back check more often in the first 20 games and actually take pucks off guys sticks and disrupt them into NZ turnovers then a full season or 2 of Kerfoot. It's refreshing to see him trying to play a 200 ft. game... I was not expecting anything like that.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Might it be time to make a trade?

Can't just keep calling up scrubs and expect to stay in the race. The Central, as we all know, is brutal.

Losing Calvert for any amount of time is a big blow, just look at the playoffs last year.

Now is literally the worst time to try to make a trade. Teams are probably circling the Avs right now hoping they'll panic and make a desperation trade.

I'm kinda curious too. Is he no longer waiver exempt or something?

If the PK continues to circle the drain I wouldn't mind them at least trying him out there for a little bit.

Dries is exempt until he plays 20 more NHL games (or the season ends). They may not want to burn those games right now. Or they don't like him at wing and they don't actually have room at center.

(O'Connor has 65 games or 2 seasons - whichever is first - to go, btw)

Reactions: Pokecheque

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Bura has really impressed me lately. Not just his production, but he looks like Rantanen-lite out there stick handling and shielding the puck with his body in the o-zone creating space and time for himself and finding good passing and shooting lanes.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I guess they want some muscle in the lineup, I'm kinda over seeing Greer TBH

Does Werner being sent down imply that one of Grub or Francouz is ready to at least back up Bibeau tonight?

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Does Werner being sent down imply that one of Grub or Francouz is ready to at least back up Bibeau tonight?

If Greer actually gets a real shot that's different. I still think he's got a real shot at being a Top-9 winger that can disrupt the other team, but Bednar seems to hate him.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Means one of the two NHL goalies are ready to go, and also means Jost is probably headed to IR. O'Connor takes Jost spot, Greer takes Calvert's.

Probably looking something like...

72/29/95
13/91/37
83/41/12
24/81/36

49/6
27/8
16/28

Reactions: wayninja

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad