Pre-Game Talk: Week of even more injuries? Please don't ... @CGY / @MIN / TOR

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Calvert is another big loss, a much bigger loss than I would of thought coming into the season.

We’re running low on bodies. Where will we turn when the AHL is depleted?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Calvert is another big loss, a much bigger loss than I would of thought coming into the season.

We’re running low on bodies. Where will we turn when the AHL is depleted?

D_ruVM6XUAEK9Wx.jpg

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The rule only gives the impression that the refs made the right decision by making it a judgement call. In no absolute way it was the right call. Any injury to the head should warrant a stoppage of play. If you are concerned about guys faking a head injury, change the rule to allow the refs to assess a 2 minute penalty to the player.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The rule only gives the impression that the refs made the right decision by making it a judgement call. In no absolute way it was the right call. Any injury to the head should warrant a stoppage of play. If you are concerned about guys faking a head injury, change the rule to allow the refs to assess a 2 minute penalty to the player.

Yep, it absolutely was the wrong call. It says right there in the rule book that if the injury is readily apparent and appears serious that the play MUST be blown dead. I don't understand what a guy getting a puck to the head and bleeding onto the ice appears to some as a "gray area." It's pretty f***ing obvious. Does he need to have a broken bone protruding from his arm or something instead?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

I don't know...
I don't want players faking head injuries to get a break when they're in trouble in their own D Zone...
I also don't want players deliberately targeting head shots, so they can get a power play...

Reactions: Tweaky

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yep, it absolutely was the wrong call. It says right there in the rule book that if the injury is readily apparent and appears serious that the play MUST be blown dead. I don't understand what a guy getting a puck to the head and bleeding onto the ice appears to some as a "gray area." It's pretty ****ing obvious. Does he need to have a broken bone protruding from his arm or something instead?
I wish people would understand that refs in the heat of the moment don't have access to multi angles and slomo shots like you do on TV. Don't assume that they have seen the puck to the head and the blood before the stoppage. I know it's fun on internet forums to believe that these guys are idiots but they are not.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I don't know...
I don't want players faking head injuries to get a break when they're in trouble in their own D Zone...
I also don't want players deliberately targeting head shots, so they can get a power play...
Faking should be reviewable and subject to fines like diving. Also bleeding is fairly hard to fake unless you are a pro wrestler. The NHL can fix this easily.

If you target the head with a shot I’m pretty sure that you would in line for a long suspension.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wish people would understand that refs in the heat of the moment don't have access to multi angles and slomo shots like you do on TV. Don't assume that they have seen the puck to the head and the blood before the stoppage. I know it's fun on internet forums to believe that these guys are idiots but they are not.
Thank you!

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

They don't need multiple camera angles any more than we did, and we at home could plainly f***ing see that he was hurt, the rule was written in there like it's written in there for a frickin' good reason. It's not that hard to go in quickly and take a look if they thought for a second that he may have been faking it. All refs can move pretty quickly, they wouldn't be NHL refs if they couldn't.

They're not idiots, but they are acting scared, especially after what happened in that Knights/Sharks game. A former ref said in a radio interview that it's ingrained to them to make an error of omission rather than commission. But it's tipped way, way too far now. The thing is that the refs who screwed up were indeed punished, but not in any tangible or concrete sort of way that clears things up, so the refs themselves are still kinda confused as to whether the league has their backs or not.

I'll readily admit that the hesitancy to make that call was understandable...but that's still not an excuse.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
When the next opponent is on a losing streak or coming off of a bad loss: "They'll come out strong. Avs will get crushed."

When the Avs are on a losing streak or coming off of a bad loss: "They suck right now. Avs will get crushed."

15JUkiy.gif

Reactions: dahrougem2

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They don't need multiple camera angles any more than we did, and we at home could plainly ****ing see that he was hurt, the rule was written in there like it's written in there for a frickin' good reason. It's not that hard to go in quickly and take a look if they thought for a second that he may have been faking it. All refs can move pretty quickly, they wouldn't be NHL refs if they couldn't.

They're not idiots, but they are acting scared, especially after what happened in that Knights/Sharks game. A former ref said in a radio interview that it's ingrained to them to make an error of omission rather than commission. But it's tipped way, way too far now. The thing is that the refs who screwed up were indeed punished, but not in any tangible or concrete sort of way that clears things up, so the refs themselves are still kinda confused as to whether the league has their backs or not.

I'll readily admit that the hesitancy to make that call was understandable...but that's still not an excuse.

Calvert was moving and trying to get up, exactly like to someone who get hit by a slapshot anywhere except the head. If they didn't see that it was a head shot, from their perspective (not yours) it wasn't serious enough for a stoppage without puck possession. It's not like he was lying unconscious.

Had the refs seen that he's got a puck to the head and there was blood THEN DECIDED it wasn't serious enough for a stoppage then yeah, that'd be a problem. Until we know for a fact that's what happened (which I don't believe) then we have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The way to fix that is to stop when someone is hurt but punish heavily fakers and embellishers. I'm talking really heavy fines and other team consequences that could affect the rankings.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Calvert was moving and trying to get up, exactly like to someone who get hit by a slapshot anywhere except the head. If they didn't see that it was a head shot, from their perspective (not yours) it wasn't serious enough for a stoppage without puck possession. It's not like he was lying unconscious.

Had the refs seen that he's got a puck to the head and there was blood THEN DECIDED it wasn't serious enough for a stoppage then yeah, that'd be a problem. Until we know for a fact that's what happened (which I don't believe) then we have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The way to fix that is to stop when someone is hurt but punish heavily fakers and embellishers. I'm talking really heavy fines and other team consequences that could affect the rankings.

I agree, throw the damned book at anyone who dares embellish in a situation like that.

But PEB was pretty blunt in the postgame--it's highly, highly unlikely you'll find a player who's just going to writhe around on the ground to try and get a call instead of help out his team in a crucial situation like that. I just don't think you'll find it to be that big a problem with a clarification of the rule that's already in there. The refs just want the league to have their backs if they do indeed make a call like that.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I agree, throw the damned book at anyone who dares embellish in a situation like that.

But PEB was pretty blunt in the postgame--it's highly, highly unlikely you'll find a player who's just going to writhe around on the ground to try and get a call instead of help out his team in a crucial situation like that. I just don't think you'll find it to be that big a problem with a clarification of the rule that's already in there. The refs just want the league to have their backs if they do indeed make a call like that.

I fully agree that refs walk on egg shells which is why I refuse to blame them most of the time. In this particular instance though, they more than likely just didn't see it.

In an alternate universe where Calvert is indeed faking an injury and they blow the whistle, Vancouver is losing 4-2. The consequences are huge here: at least one point, perhaps two. It's not as black and white as it seems.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
When the next opponent is on a losing streak or coming off of a bad loss: "They'll come out strong. Avs will get crushed."

When the Avs are on a losing streak or coming off of a bad loss: "They suck right now. Avs will get crushed."

15JUkiy.gif
Never know which team is gonna show up. Im not going to even be mad if they lose right now just give me effort. The Avs have every right to use injuries as an excuse right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad