Pre-Game Talk: Week of Approaching Deadlines (TB, NYI, @Ana, @LA)

Which position(s) do we trade for?

• Total voters

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Offense - Makar, Transition - Hughes but very slightly, Defense - Hughes

That said, The Athletic is worth every penny and is well worth subscribing.

I’ve definitely considered it, and might pull the trigger. They write a ton of articles I’m interested in reading.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Bottom line and injuries aside, Landy has got to be better down the stretch and beyond if we have any hope.

It's as simple as that IMO.

Reactions: 5280

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Bottom line and injuries aside, Landy has got to be better down the stretch and beyond if we have any hope.

It's as simple as that IMO.
I feel like he has been saving it up for some reason. I'd get it if that were the case. Hopefully he can flip the switch when it matters, though

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I feel like he has been saving it up for some reason. I'd get it if that were the case. Hopefully he can flip the switch when it matters, though

It doesn't seem like lack of effort though, just dumb plays and not getting to the right areas or something. He was such a force in the slot creating havoc, tipping shots, and cleaning up goals last year...what happened?? We need Viking mode.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
It doesn't seem like lack of effort though, just dumb plays and not getting to the right areas or something. He was such a force in the slot creating havoc, tipping shots, and cleaning up goals last year...what happened?? We need Viking mode.
Yeah, I definitely hear you. I've been bitching about him for 2 months. I am hoping it is something as simple like-someone got in his ear and told him he couldn't play physical like he was playing all the time and he was better for us healthy going into the playoffs...... or something like that. He has definitely backed off his approach for whatever reason.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Offense - Makar, Transition - Hughes but very slightly, Defense - Hughes

That said, The Athletic is worth every penny and is well worth subscribing.
Can't believe I am going to say this, but I think their stories are too long. I ride on the train for half the week and I am stuck on one story for the entire journey and honestly a lot of it is fluff which doesn't really add a ton of elements. From what I've experienced, Dom Luszczyszyn is probably the best writer on there whereas Pronman is easily the worst. Pronman is just really bad at his job even if he puts the effort in it. I have either stopped reading his pieces entirely or go through it in seconds.

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Can't believe I am going to say this, but I think their stories are too long. I ride on the train for half the week and I am stuck on one story for the entire journey and honestly a lot of it is fluff which doesn't really add a ton of elements. From what I've experienced, Dom Luszczyszyn is probably the best writer on there whereas Pronman is easily the worst. Pronman is just really bad at his job even if he puts the effort in it. I have either stopped reading his pieces entirely or go through it in seconds.
I just read McIndoe's stupid ones.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Just skip the first paragraph of every article. They all love the long leadin.

You are right about some of them though. Actually I respect Clark enough, but his articles outside of behind the scenes stuff remind me of a hockey for dummies book lol. The dude isn't really that knowledgeable, but loves to explain shit to casuals, and doubles down in the comments. It's not as bad as Dater tho, and I give him a pass since he hasn't been covering hockey that long or consistently.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I just read McIndoe's stupid ones.
DGB is either hit or miss for me, he's had some awesome interesting yet funny articles and some plain vanilla ones.
Just skip the first paragraph of every article. They all love the long leadin.

You are right about some of them though. Actually I respect Clark enough, but his articles outside of behind the scenes stuff remind me of a hockey for dummies book lol. The dude isn't really that knowledgeable, but loves to explain shit to casuals, and doubles down in the comments. It's not as bad as Dater tho, and I give him a pass since he hasn't been covering hockey that long or consistently.
I think you might be over-criticising him Cobra, Clark has been great at his job even though I agree that some pieces are definitely fluff. If I was going say, I think The Athletic requires all their authors to create one major article per week and everything else they decide to publish is secondary.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
DGB is either hit or miss for me, he's had some awesome interesting yet funny articles and some plain vanilla ones.

I think you might be over-criticising him Cobra, Clark has been great at his job even though I agree that some pieces are definitely fluff. If I was going say, I think The Athletic requires all their authors to create one major article per week and everything else they decide to publish is secondary.

I thought I was being fairly bland, but honest lol. I've litterally read half of a article by Clark, and left. That really is rare for me too. I did say that I respect him. Just don't adventure into talking out of your ass, and take on a teaching tone while doing it lol.

I agree with you on Pronman actually. I come away shaking my head so often. You can tell the dude is absolutely willing to make definitive statements on prospects he barely watches. You can see it from a mile away too because the substance to his explanation of what he sees completely disappears yet the conclusions often remain. People like that bother the hell out of me.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We’re going to win these two California games by a landslide. Especially Saturday night. I’d bet there’s an agreement that if they sweep the back to back that the team plane flies back to Denver Sunday afternoon instead of Saturday night after the game.

Off until Wednesday. One big night out in LA to celebrate a few wins and hang out as a group before some guys potentially are moved out on Monday.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Anything is better than Tynan. I don't love Dries, but he can at least kill penalties and skate in the NHL without hurting whatever line he's on.

Still wish it was LOC though, I love that kind of player as a 4th line energy forward.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Dries is more than ok as a 4th liner for the next 2 games. Fast, good on the forecheck, and can PK. Much better than whatever the hell Tynan is.

Reactions: MarkT

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I would have preferred LOC but at least Dries is a better fit than Tynan. LOC would have also given us a bit more size on that line.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Yep count me in as pleasantly surprised with this call up. I think Tynan just needs a chance to play top 6 on a really bad team before anyone is going to give him a proper chance on a good team. The Avs should do him a favor and trade him to Ottawa or LA or something, or just keep him as an AHL veteran.

Dries at least has a chance to develop into a good 4th liner. I can't say I've seen anything yet that says "NHL" from him, but the dude can score at the AHL level (20 goals in 47 games this year), so if he can contribute at, say, Bellemare's rate, then he could be a good depth player for us.

Btw, I agree O'Connor would be a better callup, but I think he's injured. His last game with the Eagles was Feb 16.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Dries is better than Tynan, but you don’t want either of them on your 4th line.

Dries is 5’9” and 180 pounds soaking wet. He doesn’t touch anybody out there. He’s not some defensive stalwart.

He’s Tynan... an undersized, AHL scorer with no shot of an NHL full-time career... except he’s got an inch or two on Tynan.

Dries at least has a chance to develop into a good 4th liner. I can't say I've seen anything yet that says "NHL" from him, but the dude can score at the AHL level (20 goals in 47 games this year), so if he can contribute at, say, Bellemare's rate, then he could be a good depth player for us.

God no.

I would certainly hope he could produce at Bellemare’s rate, since that’s the worst part of PEB’s game and not why he’s on the team whatsoever.

Dries does not have the skill to play in an NHL top 6.

Dries doesn’t have the size or jam to play in an NHL bottom 6.

That’s a career minor leaguer if I’ve ever seen one.

Reactions: UncleRisto

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Dries is better than Tynan, but you don’t want either of them on your 4th line.

Dries is 5’9” and 180 pounds soaking wet. He doesn’t touch anybody out there. He’s not some defensive stalwart.

He’s Tynan... an undersized, AHL scorer with no shot of an NHL full-time career... except he’s got an inch or two on Tynan.

God no.

I would certainly hope he could produce at Bellemare’s rate, since that’s the worst part of PEB’s game and not why he’s on the team whatsoever.

Dries does not have the skill to play in an NHL top 6.

Dries doesn’t have the size or jam to play in an NHL bottom 6.

That’s a career minor leaguer if I’ve ever seen one.

I agree he's likely a career minor leaguer. But modern NHL bottom 6's don't necessarily require size or jam - sometimes they just require defensive accountability, skating, a bit of scoring and character. If Dries improves his overall game and is able to produce offensively, he stands an outside chance of being a depth guy for us, by which I mean 13th forward or first callup.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I am not big on predictions, but it almost seems certain that Greer will be traded soon (prospect swap?). He is no longer getting called-up and he seems to be playing relatively well in the AHL.

Reactions: rmthomson21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad