Pre-Game Talk: Week for Redemption (@WPG, BUF, STL, @DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
"I was just ending my show"

"Well that's a good thing because we were going to end it otherwise."

Brb dying :laugh:

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Ha, Tyson is awesome. Nathan is such an awkward person but you can tell those two do everything together. Surprised there was no Landy in the video though.

Guess we have our answer to the "Caption this" photo of Barrie, MacK and Sakic, they asked him nothing :laugh:

I also couldn't have been the only one who thought Bodnarchuk probably felt a bit weird and left out there lol

Bodnarchuk is friends with Mackinnon so I'm sure he was fine

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The EJ video is up, he says they expected worse before he got the MRI. That's kind of terrifying. I guess that might play into all this, they claimed Bodybychuck that next morning so he wouldn't have had the MRI by then.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The EJ video is up, he says they expected worse before he got the MRI. That's kind of terrifying. I guess that might play into all this, they claimed Bodybychuck that next morning so he wouldn't have had the MRI by then.

So they reacted to a potential injury by making a questionable move? Where have I seen that before? At least this time it doesn't really matter because it only cost them a contract/roster spot rather than a 2nd round pick.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not sure that's quite it but it's another piece to the puzzle. It doesn't really explain not looking toward internal options first. Even if Clark and Noreau hadn't played yet there was someone they could have called up until they could figure out how long EJ would be out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd guess that they have like Bodnarchuk for a while and tried to sign him this summer.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
When asked about what happens when EJ returns, Roy says, "we'll make that decision when the time comes but I think you guys have a pretty good idea what we're going to do." He then goes on to once again mention how Bigras and Zadorov have given them a spark and done exactly what they were hoping.

Gotta think that means Redmond is coming out and the kids will stay for now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
When asked about what happens when EJ returns, Roy says, "we'll make that decision when the time comes but I think you guys have a pretty good idea what we're going to do." He then goes on to once again mention how Bigras and Zadorov have given them a spark and done exactly what they were hoping.

Gotta think that means Redmond is coming out and the kids will stay for now.

I think it means Guenin gets assigned and the kids stay. I can't believe none of them put that in their article! Also the part about EJ thinking the injury was worse. Thank god for the videos. He totally praised the kids unprompted too.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

I still think the timing was coincidence and they just simple saw a guy they thought could be an upgrade over our current left side depth (Gormley and Guenin) for free. So they jump on him thinking they can move a contract somehow (not neccessarily in a particular way).

Guenin seems to have been falling out of favor all year, and recently it seems like Redmond has jumped him as the first guy used on the right side even. Gormley, it doesn't seem like he really ever earned their trust. He looked OK to a lot of people, but he looked the same every game and there was obviously something they didn't like about him (strength maybe?).

Honestly, I dont think the EJ injury has played much of a factor. I feel they have been wanting at least 2 new guys for the left side. One for Barrie bumping Holden to 3C and a left shot depth player they liked better and would trust more than Gormley and Guenin.

I think whoever said something about having a trade lined up but wanting to see the kids first might have been on to something. Though I don't think it would/will have been one of our big 3 going the other way. More like a solid middle pair guy that won't cost an arm and leg. But we want to see if one of the kids could fill that role before pulling the trigger.

The injury just allowed us to bring both kids up at the same time, and probably caused us to speed up the process of finding a trade and giving the kids a look first. And has maybe put a stall on our 50 contract problem (or maybe they just overestimated how easy it would be to dump a contract).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I agree with a lot of that. It's possible they had Bodnarchuk on their list and were ready when he was waived but the day of EJ's injury is a bit coincidental. Maybe that happened first and then they said hey there's this guy we like too. But the 50 contracts is not ideal and I still refuse to believe their only idea was to just waive guys and hope one of them gets taken. It is possible they've been looking at a minor trade, they still might. But it's true the kids doing well might have altered that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree with a lot of that. It's possible they had Bodnarchuk on their list and were ready when he was waived but the day of EJ's injury is a bit coincidental. Maybe that happened first and then they said hey there's this guy we like too. But the 50 contracts is not ideal and I still refuse to believe their only idea was to just waive guys and hope one of them gets taken. It is possible they've been looking at a minor trade, they still might. But it's true the kids doing well might have altered that.

I love our defense, I'm on a trade for a winger mission now lol

Rychel, Simmonds, JVR!

Keep in mind I am not a Radulov believer

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think maybe they were panicking a little about how bad the defense was, and calling up the kids was their last-ditch attempt to redeem it before they did something drastic through trades. I don't think they had a plan to address the 50 contracts problem, at least not at the time. I'm sure they have something else in the works by now, but considering that nothing has leaked about it I'm guessing it's a minor-level two-for-one trade and they're just trying to find the right deal. Definitely hope it's a winger. With the defense holding together for now, that's very obviously the biggest hole in the roster and has to be their next-biggest item.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Nor am I but I'll happily welcome him if he comes here. I just can't get my hopes up for a player in the KHL.

Yeah, I'm thinking 5% chance for Radulov. Maybe if we make some noise in the playoffs that'll up our chances to 10% as we'll be a more attractive team to free agency. But that 10% still holds a lot of big ifs. Certainly Sakic isn't counting on it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I love our defense, I'm on a trade for a winger mission now lol

Rychel, Simmonds, JVR!

Keep in mind I am not a Radulov believer

I'd prefer Okposo over all 3 of those guys, but wouldn't be upset with any of them.

I dont think we should be making the trade this year however. I dont think we're in a spot where we should be buying at the deadline. We still have a pretty poor prospect pool and we dont have a tonne of depth up front right now. We shouldn't be moving future picks until we've added good prospect depth everywhere. At least not 1st round or 2nd rounders. I wouldn't be against moving a 3rd or 4th rounder for another good 3rd liner who's a UFA in the summer or something(McGinn? lol) but I'd be hesitant to move a 1st or even a 2nd right now, at least not until we know where that pick is going to be exactly.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd prefer Okposo over all 3 of those guys, but wouldn't be upset with any of them.

I dont think we should be making the trade this year however. I dont think we're in a spot where we should be buying at the deadline. We still have a pretty poor prospect pool and we dont have a tonne of depth up front right now. We shouldn't be moving future picks until we've added good prospect depth everywhere. At least not 1st round or 2nd rounders. I wouldn't be against moving a 3rd or 4th rounder for another good 3rd liner who's a UFA in the summer or something(McGinn? lol) but I'd be hesitant to move a 1st or even a 2nd right now, at least not until we know where that pick is going to be exactly.

I'd take Rychel ahead of Okposo simply because of his contract status and because he could grow with this team.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I think any trade should be a move for the long term, with somebody we can count on re-signing. No UFAs like McGinn for a pick. I like the idea of Rychel because he can be a good guy to have long-term, but his price is going to be rising every day now that he's sticking with the Jackets. If the choice is a rental or nothing, I say hold off at the deadline and try your luck in free agency in the summer.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I understand this sentiment, but I also lend more to the other side of the argument as well.

While prospect depth is extremely important, we're trying to move into an era where we're competitive at the NHL level from season to season. We cannot really afford to wait three years for a mid first rounder to contribute. What if he turns into another Siemens/Hishon?

I think with the holes we have up front, and with two years running of this team being on the bubble of the playoffs. We need to add help now IMO. We won't be drafting high enough for immediate help anymore to be honest.

If we do anything involving moving our first round pick it needs to be a 5 year move IMO. Also meaning we need to be smart about it, but at the same time we're better off turning that 1st into NHL player rather than a low end lottery ticket at this point. Again with the caution of being smart about it.

Roy will do his best to make us competitive each year, so I think they need to move in that direction as far as mind set. That does not mean trading our 1st year after year. I think this year is the year to do it if the right opportunity comes along, then use the following years to funnel depth into the pipe line.

Chicago has done it beautifully, Pittsburgh has ****ed it up IMO lol.

Maybe trade a first or two in the first three years when you're trying to open your window for the 'right' moves, but you hold onto those for the most part after that in order to bring in young depth on ELCs once you have the main parts of your roster figured out.

Top 6 Offense, Top 4 Defense, Starting goalie... Defense seems to be about ready to figure itself out. Offense, we've got four potentially five of those pieces figured out IMO.

Duchene, MacK, Landeskog, Soderberg... and potentially Rantanen. We need one more and it needs to come soon, not in two to three years IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad