NCAA GDT: Week 9

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Thursday on ESPNU: #25 Appalachian State (5-1) @ Georgia Southern (6-1)

2003 - Appalachian State 28 Georgia Southern 21 - Goalpost, Buses and Pizzas

After 1999. the Eagles took the next four contests versus the Mountaineers, including a quarterfinal game in the 2001 I-AA playoffs. In 2003, Georgia Southern was trying to win their seventh-straight SoCon title while App State was trying to get their seniors one win against the Eagles.

After the Apps completed the upset, students tore down the goal post and exited the stadium. In the way were the Georgia Southern team buses. In circumstances that are still up for debate, the goalpost ended up going through the door window of one of the buses. To add insult to loss, a pizza order that was intended for the Eagles' locker room was intercepted by said student mob and stomped on.

2007 was one of the toughest home losses that I've attended. At least we beat Michigan and then Joe Flacco in the national championship that year.

Glad to be an alum of the first ranked team to play a game in Statesboro. Could decide half of the Sun Belt championship game. Group A is so stacked, though.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

@HoseEmDown and 5 buddies going to invade Jacksonville :laugh:

It's going to be interesting to see how many they get up there. It's the only time to ever go to Jacksonville too, the coctail party is a good time. Went a few times with my buddies while they were attending UF. They come back to town every year for this and actually had invited me up there. With both UF and Georgia in the top 10 for the first time in what seems like forever going into this game the area is gonna be crazy to begin with. Just hope it remains civil which the cocktail party isn't know to be.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Mizzou is a 7 point favorite vs Kentucky. That’s some serious disrespect for the fighting Benny Snells
Not surprising really. They really struggled vs. Vandy (18 yards passing :laugh:) and haven't played very well since the first half of the South Carolina game. Should still be a pretty decent game though.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Once they learn to schedule somewhat respectable out of conference teams (or move to a power conference themselves), they'll continue to have this let down & frustration of not being taken seriously, sadly.

I hear they keep turning down an offer to join the ACC because they feel they're and SEC quality school. In the past 10 years these are their P5 opponents.

ACC - Boston College, Miami, NC State, Pittsburgh, with Georgia Tech and UNC cancelled due to hurricanes.

Big 12 - Texas, Kansas State and beat Baylor in the Fiesta.

Big 10 - Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and Maryland.

PAC 12 - Stanford

SEC - Missouri, South Carolina while beating Georgia and Auburn in bowl games.

They've also played BYU and Louisville who are now ACC. All the ACC games were home and hhome. Big12 Texas was a 2-1 we go back there in a few, Kansas State was a home and home but they cancelled the return trip. Big 10 Ohio State and Michigan were a one time up there, Maryland a home and home, Penn State was but after we beat them in happy valley they were going to cancel the return trip unless we moved it and ended up in Ireland. PAC 12 Stanford was a home and home, they come here next year. SEC were home and home. They're scheduling P5 teams, they just aren't the P5 ones you only get credit for beating. They aren't afraid to schedule teams it's just that they want to do one and ones and they only get the mid to bottom of the P5 to agree to that. The top names want it on their terms only. With the recent success it's even harder to get teams to play us. But they keep winning and that should count for something.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I hear they keep turning down an offer to join the ACC because they feel they're and SEC quality school. In the past 10 years these are their P5 opponents.
Joining the SEC East of all places would be ideal for them, I'm sure. Then again, the SEC East is along the lines of the Big Ten West, sadly.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They should take the offer to join the ACC

I can see a scenario that would be so ESPN. They go out and help UCF get into the ACC, tell everyone how nice they are and want to make it fair for everyone. The next day they get Clemson into the SEC and strip the ACC of its P5 membership.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Little nervous, night game in stillwater with our QB1 banged up. hopefully we don't play to our opponents level. Because we should be playing for the big12 championship this year and a NY6 bowl.

Sep 19, 2008
It's going to be interesting to see how many they get up there. It's the only time to ever go to Jacksonville too, the coctail party is a good time. Went a few times with my buddies while they were attending UF. They come back to town every year for this and actually had invited me up there. With both UF and Georgia in the top 10 for the first time in what seems like forever going into this game the area is gonna be crazy to begin with. Just hope it remains civil which the cocktail party isn't know to be.

the UCF takeover got cancelled :laugh:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
the UCF takeover got cancelled :laugh:

Where'd you see this? Haven't heard any such news. I know Herbstreit and his ESPN cronies are crapping themselves with what might go down from what I've been hearing so far. He's pleading with Florida and Georgia fans to try to block any UCF fans from getting close to the stage. UCF may never make the playoffs or become a big time program but what they're doing now is impressive with how they're getting their brand on TV and talked about as much as they are. The future is bright for UCF and hopefully other G5 teams in the ESPN P5 world.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Where'd you see this? Haven't heard any such news. I know Herbstreit and his ESPN cronies are crapping themselves with what might go down from what I've been hearing so far. He's pleading with Florida and Georgia fans to try to block any UCF fans from getting close to the stage. UCF may never make the playoffs or become a big time program but what they're doing now is impressive with how they're getting their brand on TV and talked about as much as they are. The future is bright for UCF and hopefully other G5 teams in the ESPN P5 world.

Unfortunately, he is right per the article below:

UCF fans cancel GameDay ‘takeover’ following online threats from Florida fans

So ridiculous. Between ESPN's un-needed hatchet job last week & the ridiculous reaction to this by Gator & Bulldog fans, this hatred of UCF & its very loyal & dedicated fans has reached new heights.

Edited to add, if Herbstreit had anything, even indirectly, to do with inciting these fans to make these threats then I will have lost all respect I had for him

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

So ridiculous. Between ESPN's un-needed hatchet job last week & the ridiculous reaction to this by Gator & Bulldog fans, this hatred of UCF & its very loyal & dedicated fans has reached new heights.

Edited to add, if Herbstreit had anything, even indirectly, to do with inciting these fans to make these threats then I will have lost all respect I had for him

S-E-C! S-E-C!

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Man WVU is nice. I like that they also kick our little brother (sPitt)’s ass.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

What a joke, the P5 cartel can't have anybody trying to join their party. I still know of some groups going, the more civil variety, so there should still be a small presence. It's no surprise the SEC schools are doing this, just surprised that ESPN is allowing it. Herbstreit went out and told Florida and Georgia fans to try to get there to prevent any UCF presence, which was going to cause an issue regardless, instead of welcoming them like any other college could do at gameday every week. I don't mind that UCF isn't going in full force because a decent amount of SEC fans can't be civil and there would be unneeded violence. We don't need to be bullies like the P5 who are scared of upstarts stealing their spotlight.

Reactions: PanthersPens62
Sep 19, 2008
Had a lot of jokes at UCF's expense in this thread but in all honestly Florida fans feeling threatened enough to even make threats about pepper spraying UCF fans in Gameday shows you how pathetic a small segment of college football fans are. Sad that their dumb threats had to derail a potentially hilarious invasion up north.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Georgia Tech puts up 49 at Virginia Tech while going 0-1 passing, running 78 times for 465 yards. 42 minutes of possession.

I love Paul Johnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad