NCAA GDT: Week 9

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tons of Canes fans wishing we'd have re-hired Butch instead of Richt.
Butch is in his mid-60s, a program with the expectations Miami has probably wouldn't jive with him at that age, when he can just sit back and recruit all the kids who don't want to leave home after they get passed up by the other Florida schools.

Sep 19, 2008
He would be daft to leave Ohio State and OSU would be daft to fire him. I understand Urban is upset at the OSU brass because he thinks he did nothing wrong and he never should have been suspended. But he did do something wrong according to most people. It was his responsibility to monitor Zack Smith and he let Zack Smith get away with a lot of crap.

Sep 19, 2008
Gotcha, thanks for the reply

I was reading on other forums about the Maryland report and there seems to be no blame on Durkin which is what you had been saying all along. Although the mere PR nightmare of keeping a coach when someone died under his watch is not exactly good to deal with either. Some MD fans think they're just going to fire him because it's not good to have that kind of look.

The honest truth is I was very mad about the ESPN article but after time it became clearer that a lot of details were embellished and that the program wasn't in as much a state of disarray as the article had claimed.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I was reading on other forums about the Maryland report and there seems to be no blame on Durkin which is what you had been saying all along. Although the mere PR nightmare of keeping a coach when someone died under his watch is not exactly good to deal with either. Some MD fans think they're just going to fire him because it's not good to have that kind of look.

The honest truth is I was very mad about the ESPN article but after time it became clearer that a lot of details were embellished and that the program wasn't in as much a state of disarray as the article had claimed.
Thanks for looking at it objectively. To me this was a lesson in propaganda. The ESPN article was set into motion by the attorney representing the kids parents. We have to look at everything critically these days.

Maryland's Athletic Dept did appear to be incredibly dysfunctional and Coach Court seemed a bit over the top, but the program seemed like a normal football program all in all. Durkin was mentored by both Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh and I doubt his program is much different than theirs.

He still has the support of a majority of the players and parents and to me should be back as coach. The booster's support him and since there doesn't seem to be "for cause" dismissal, paying him 5.2 million to buy him out seems unlikely. Especially when McNairs death seems to have nothing to do with him. Remove some of the training staff and reinstate Durkin. I'm hearing he could be back as soon as this week.

I have to say I'm incredibly proud of the players to have stayed focused this season. Playing as a family and for McNair. One more win for a much deserved bowl game.

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Sep 19, 2008

This is what I'm talking about, it's just a bad look. Even if a lot of the outrage was based off that exaggerated ESPN article

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad