NCAA GDT: Week 8

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Philadelphia would be a far more unusual location for Gameday than Pullman.

Pullman is a little college town somewhere in the boonies which is basically where Gameday is the majority of times. Philadelphia is a massive city and Temple is pretty much in the hood. That's quite outside the Gameday comfort zone.

Yeah but nd is playing so it wouldn't shock me if they have it there. Haven't they done Atlanta or Jacksonville before?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
There was a time, not that long ago, when Baylor was what Kansas is today and that perception is pretty difficult to correct.

But they are a good example of what happens when a fairly wealthy school with a lot of donors lands a good coach and then basically gives him whatever he wants to keep him. TCU is pretty much the same. People often underestimate how much of a difference it makes to have an entrenched program with well-oiled mechanisms rather than going through frequent coaching changes.

On the flip side look at schools we hype up as big time. Miami has been pretty much a dumpster fire since losing to Ohio State. USC in the late 80s and all of the 90s. Nebraska is irrelevant now.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Philadelphia would be a far more unusual location for Gameday than Pullman.

Pullman is a little college town somewhere in the boonies which is basically where Gameday is the majority of times. Philadelphia is a massive city and Temple is pretty much in the hood. That's quite outside the Gameday comfort zone.

The game is at Lincoln financial field. they would probably hold it there.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
On the flip side look at schools we hype up as big time. Miami has been pretty much a dumpster fire since losing to Ohio State. USC in the late 80s and all of the 90s. Nebraska is irrelevant now.

The crack down on partial qualifiers killed Nebraska and I think leaving the Big 12 hurt recruiting in Texas.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
The crack down on partial qualifiers killed Nebraska and I think leaving the Big 12 hurt recruiting in Texas.

They've been irrelevant for a while tho. Same with CU. A lot of these big time 800 win programs seem to be resting and living off their laurels. While up and coming small schools can't ever seem to catch a break.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
I remember one of the first times I looked at Google Maps I searched for Pullman and was quite surprised to see just how far away it is from, well anything really.

When you talk about something like College Gameday, it isn't that far away for a lot of people.

WAZZU Football has a big influence in the Spokane area and sports reports always start with them. I can easily see people from Spokane make the 90 min trip to fill the stadium as they generally do. Add much of Idaho to the mix (they usually get the news from Spokane-based stations) and the Tri-Cities area.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
They've been irrelevant for a while tho. Same with CU. A lot of these big time 800 win programs seem to be resting and living off their laurels. While up and coming small schools can't ever seem to catch a break.

Nobody cares about East Carolina until they actually make an impact ala Boise or TCU or Utah.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Notre Dame has a good team this year, but all of the injuries they've had are going to catch up to them at some point.

The only time injuries can be used as an excuse is if like a Heisman candidate gets injured, even then it's pretty weak. Recruit good players and injuries shouldn't matter.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Its true though.

What's true? That we're one of the top three or four Group of 5 schools, that would boat race its fair share of Power 5 schools who haven't been relevant since FDR was President and yet, who are somehow treated with this weird mystique that they are good, even though the last time most of them won anything of merit, the forward pass hadn't been invented yet?

Yeah, I will agree with that.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
What's true? That we're one of the top three or four Group of 5 schools, that would boat race its fair share of Power 5 schools who haven't been relevant since FDR was President and yet, who are somehow treated with this weird mystique that they are good, even though the last time most of them won anything of merit, the forward pass hadn't been invented yet?

Yeah, I will agree with that.

10 wins is like the max ECU has done in over 20 years, most of those programs have had seasons as good or better than that in that time frame playing vs much better competition. That's probably why people care about them and have notions of them being good.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
College football is a funny thing. I remember growing up in the 90s. The big boys then aren't the same ones now. I mean at one point Syracuse was a contender. Sure a couple of teams like FSU and Ohio State have lasted but it goes in cycles. Alabama was a joke for the most part when I was younger. LSU was not a big deal. College basketball is different and tends to always produce the same contenders mostly.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Remember in the 90's when Washington was a NC contender and bowl frequent? Then they went something like 9-10 years w/o a bowl appearance.

Hell even UNC in the 90's had some top ten teams, they could never win the ACC though because Florida State was doing that. Then Mack Brown left and they went back into mediocrity.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
10 wins is like the max ECU has done in over 20 years, most of those programs have had seasons as good or better than that in that time frame playing vs much better competition. That's probably why people care about them and have notions of them being good.

Colorado hasn't been over .500 since 2005. Kansas hasn't won more than 3 games in a season since 2009. etc, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, with 2 more wins, ECU will qualify for its 15th Bowl Game since 1991. Not exactly apples to apples, but without even thinking, I could probably name 10+ P5 schools we'd boat race even now, which is a down year.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Colorado hasn't been over .500 since 2005. Kansas hasn't won more than 3 games in a season since 2009. etc, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, with 2 more wins, ECU will qualify for its 15th Bowl Game since 1991. Not exactly apples to apples, but without even thinking, I could probably name 10+ P5 schools we'd boat race even now, which is a down year.

I'll give you Kansas but I don't think ECU this year would run a train on Colorado who look relatively decent this year by their recent standards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad