Post-Game Talk: Week 4 - PATRIOTS now 2-2 - Denver next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Going into the season i thought 9-7 tops. But when I see the defense play like they did last night and Harris hopefully emerging to take some of the burden off of Cam I think 11-5 is the ceiling. When I look at the schedule now I think the toughest game is at Buffalo and I don't see automatic losses anywhere like I did at the beginning of the season.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore tests positive for COVID-19, team cancels Wednesday practice - The Boston Globe

The Patriots canceled Wednesday’s practice after star cornerback Stephon Gilmore tested positive for COVID-19, a league source confirmed.
Gilmore, the reigning defensive player of the year, played in Monday’s night loss in Kansas City and was his usual dominant self. Gilmore allowed one catch for 10 yards on a pair of targets and also forced a fumble.
The Patriots also pushed back coach Bill Belichick’s morning video conference with reporters to later in the day.
Three members of the Patriots organization have now been affected by the coronavirus. Starting quarterback Cam Newton testing positive last Friday and rookie practice squad defensive tackle Bill Murray was placed on the COVID-19 injured reserve list on Tuesday, meaning he either tested positive or was exposed to someone who has.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

20 people plus many on the Chiefs who didn't have to be exposed but the league was so desperate for a prime time game.

It was wildly irresponsible for the league to make them play that game.

The problem is the NFL is taking this day-by-day, while they should be taking it week-by-week. You see all of the tweets about how Team X all tested negative, but that means squat. If you have a player test positive, and it can be reasonably assumed that they've been in close contact with other players (i.e. Cam Newton), then the procedure should be you shut everything down for 5 days. That's the typical incubation period. If a team goes 5 days without another positive test, then you can reasonably assume it was an isolated situation.

I don't see how they could play Sunday.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
League did the Patriots, Chiefs, and everyone involved in getting NE to KC dirty by playing that game after a positive test from CM.

OF COURSE there were going to be more positives a few days after Cam's initial positive since it was so close to Sunday. Just such sheer stupidity.

Reactions: Alicat

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
League did the Patriots, Chiefs, and everyone involved in getting NE to KC dirty by playing that game after a positive test from CM.

OF COURSE there were going to be more positives a few days after Cam's initial positive since it was so close to Sunday. Just such sheer stupidity.

I think it's more a case of arrogance and blatant disregard for the players well being.

Reactions: CDJ and Alicat

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
It's baffling that the team could be concerned enough that they took two separate planes but the league was fine with them playing. Well they got their primetime Mahomes game. Better hope he doesn't get sick.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I think it's more a case of arrogance and blatant disregard for the players well being.

To be fair, they gave the players the ability to opt out and still collect pay. If anyone is disregarding the players' well-being, it's the players themselves.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To be fair, they gave the players the ability to opt out and still collect pay. If anyone is disregarding the players' well-being, it's the players themselves.

Still collect pay? Not really. The designation to opt out was tiered. You could opt out with "pay" if you had a condition that put you at higher risk, but even then, its a stipend and not full pay. Barely anything compared to their normal money. Or if you did not have a condition, you got to opt out, but no stipend.

Reactions: CDJ

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Still collect pay? Not really. The designation to opt out was tiered. You could opt out with "pay" if you had a condition that put you at higher risk, but even then, its a stipend and not full pay. Barely anything compared to their normal money. Or if you did not have a condition, you got to opt out, but no stipend.

Incorrect.

It's $350k for high risk individuals, $150k for low risk. Nobody gets $0.

Everyone gets at least SOME pay.....like I said.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Incorrect.

It's $350k for high risk individuals, $150k for low risk. Nobody gets $0.

Everyone gets at least SOME pay.....like I said.

But you didn't say "some" pay. You said still collect pay. As if it were the full amount, which it's not. In fact it's peanuts compared to full pay. So why play semantics games and infer something like that? It doesn't help your argument in any way and it comes off a touch shady.

Reactions: Smitty93

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
But you didn't say "some" pay. You said still collect pay. As if it were the full amount, which it's not. In fact it's peanuts compared to full pay. So why play semantics games and infer something like that? It doesn't help your argument in any way and it comes off a touch shady.

Lol. Sorry you read it that way (I think you meant "imply" not "infer"....YOU were the one that inferred). I didn't feel like spelling out the tiers.

Weird that you'd nitpick my use of "pay" but not admit you were flat out wrong when you explicitly stated some would get no pay at all....

Regardless.....the larger point still stands. Nobody is holding a gun to the players' heads. They are the ones (potentially) disregarding their well-being.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lol. Sorry you read it that way (I think you meant "imply" not "infer"....YOU were the one that inferred). I didn't feel like spelling out the tiers.

Weird that you'd nitpick my use of "pay" but not admit you were flat out wrong when you explicitly stated some would get no pay at all....

Regardless.....the larger point still stands. Nobody is holding a gun to the players' heads. They are the ones (potentially) disregarding their well-being.

Being wrong is part of life. I have zero issues saying it whenever it happens. I just found your point and the info you used to support it to be suspect, and it got worse when you clarified. :laugh:

No big deal though. And really, just because a player didn't opt out doesn't mean the league is doing right by them. They had a positive test on each side, and they still played the game after a big one day delay. As if the important part was getting the game in, and not the players safety, which was my point before we got bogged down in the opt out stuff.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Being wrong is part of life. I have zero issues saying it whenever it happens. I just found your point and the info you used to support it to be suspect, and it got worse when you clarified. :laugh:

No big deal though. And really, just because a player didn't opt out doesn't mean the league is doing right by them. They had a positive test on each side, and they still played the game after a big one day delay. As if the important part was getting the game in, and not the players safety, which was my point before we got bogged down in the opt out stuff.

The average life expectancy of an nfl player is 53-59 yrs. Player safety was, is and always will be a joke.....unless they change it to 2 hand touch.

It's all about getting the games in and making money. The players know this and willingly assume these risks every day, covid or no covid.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This is a shit show.

The Pats' practice facility is closed again today.

So, now you have a situation where teams have unequal opportunities to practice in advance of games.
As it is, the teams practice in pads/full contact much less infrequently than they have in the past.

What a disaster.

Reactions: LSCII and CDJ

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I have no idea how Tampa wasn't awarded a TD on completion to RB but Brady hits Evans on next play.

Astonishing how bad Nick Foles is.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I have no idea how Tampa wasn't awarded a TD on completion to RB but Brady hits Evans on next play.

With the ability to review, it’s mind boggling that the officials don’t err on the side or calling it a catch and allowing the play to finish when it’s a close call.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

It kills me when I think about how well he played in the super bowl. Like wtf was that, honestly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad