NCAA GDT: Week 3

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
#5 in the nation with a Heisman RB. It's okay to be jealous.

6 > 1 , yep Ohio State fans are surely jealous. Seriously dude, are you ****ing 12? You trolling is so bad it's not even comical.

On a separate note, Texas/USC was one of the best games I've seen lately and Miss St beating the **** out of LSU I did not see coming.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
6 > 1 , yep Ohio State fans are surely jealous. Seriously dude, are you ****ing 12? You trolling is so bad it's not even comical.
It's all in good fun... though I admit I'm being a bit overzealous since I'm back to having a team that's one of the best in the country. And with how OSU has looked this year, that game in Columbus should sure be a blast.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Because you have to be a fan of just those two teams to be disgusted by Penn St? Even Baylor thinks, "man, at least we're not Penn St."

Said it last year, but anyone who supports Ped State needs to take their obviously broken moral compass in for repairs. Disgusting that any TV network even shows their games.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Said it last year, but anyone who supports Ped State needs to take their obviously broken moral compass in for repairs. Disgusting that any TV network even shows their games.
I feel like it's mostly jealous people that continue to give this stance. Perfect example is our little brother, Pitt. Are you a Pitt fan, Kyle? Nice showing yesterday.

Facts:
-No one on the current team, coaching staff, administration is associated with what happened. Obviously it's awful, and those involved are all paying for it. Not sure if you've heard of THON/the millions of dollars our university has raised for childhood cancer, too.

-People still make ridiculous lies/brash accusations, mostly out of hate/jealousy.

-PSU will win, at the very minimum, 10 games this year, and contend for a national championship.

-Saquon Barkley is the best RB in the nation, AINEC (good showing last night, Derrius Guice) and is a Heisman candidate.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I feel like it's mostly jealous people that continue to give this stance. Perfect example is our little brother, Pitt. Are you a Pitt fan, Kyle? Nice showing yesterday.

No, I'm an Oklahoma State fan. People of all stripes were and remain outraged and disgusted at the complete lack of punishment Ped State received over the most disturbing scandal in sports history. Not NCAA history. Not football history. Sports history. Let that sink in. It's not just Michigan and Ohio fans.

There is no reason to believe the cult-like attitude the infested that entire university and led to the decades of heinous crimes would just magically dissipate with Sandusky going to jail and Paterno dropping dead. There were people petitioning to have the Paterno statue put back up FFS! You can't even make this stuff up.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think Memphis and Cincinnati make perfect sense. They really should have gotten Louisville when they had the chance. I don't think BYU will go.

BYU wants in in a big way, but the Big 12 isn't going to compromise and put up with the "no Sundays" thing for other sports. It's not a thing in football and not really a big deal in basketball, but other sports it's huge.

Memphis probably makes the most sense for #12 with Cincy as the obvious #11 right now. Should have done Louisville as #11 with the chance to add Cincy, UConn, Memphis, or BYU as #12 down the road back when they added TCU and WVU, but Louisville wasn't willing to pay the buyout that WVU did to get out of the Big East early and join the Big 12.

Kansas gonna Kansas

Yeah.... yeah he's gonna die next week.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
If he's smart he won't the way he's playing right now. Needs way more time. Don't really know who would draft him either. A lot of teams have qbs they want to try out or already have one

Umm the Jets? This is Petty's third year, has shown that he would be a serviceable backup, not starter material. Hackenberg has basically shown no progress in two seasons. McCown is a stop-gap raking in a paycheck.

The house cleaning of veterans this offseason started the tank for Darnold/Rosen/Allen. When Darnold does not declare himself eligible because he knows that the Jets have the #1 pick and we wind up with the Rosen one, I'm going to have to laugh to stop from going insane.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
No, I'm an Oklahoma State fan. People of all stripes were and remain outraged and disgusted at the complete lack of punishment Ped State received over the most disturbing scandal in sports history. Not NCAA history. Not football history. Sports history. Let that sink in. It's not just Michigan and Ohio fans.

There is no reason to believe the cult-like attitude the infested that entire university and led to the decades of heinous crimes would just magically dissipate with Sandusky going to jail and Paterno dropping dead. There were people petitioning to have the Paterno statue put back up FFS! You can't even make this stuff up.

Just a comment here, to the above poster's comment on how no one on the current team, coaching, administration, etc. was involved.

Last year PSU played Temple at home, and honored Paterno with a video montage. Other than the handful of Owls fans in attendance, some who courageously held banners about the victims, the 100k or so in the stadium was on their feet, cheering loudly, going bananas during the honoring of this man, who at best, at best mind you, enabled these atrocities, looked the other way, and most sickening of all, allowed it to continue over and over. All to protect the precious Nittany Lion football program.

I, like many, many, others, was appalled at this, and it shows that it's a direct lie that no one who is currently there was involved or supports this. During the whole exposure the student body just seemed more concerned about the man's legacy, statue, and what kind of penalties the football program would get, then shedding a tear for any of the victims. The whole culture up there is sickening, and there's no other word for it. The PSU people I know are simply pretending it was all a lie or didn't happen.

Then it was earlier this year when a student was literally murdered up there during pledging, where multiple students were actually charged with homicide. I thank the Lord none of my kids will ever attend that horrible place.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Penn State, based on my exposure to their fans and the few times I've been in Pennsylvania, isn't really a Big Ten school in character. I think everyone involved would have been better off if they had joined an Eastern league. Of course, now, with Rutgers and Maryland there's two more schools in the league that don't fit into the Big Ten culturally.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just a comment here, to the above poster's comment on how no one on the current team, coaching, administration, etc. was involved.

Last year PSU played Temple at home, and honored Paterno with a video montage. Other than the handful of Owls fans in attendance, some who courageously held banners about the victims, the 100k or so in the stadium was on their feet, cheering loudly, going bananas during the honoring of this man, who at best, at best mind you, enabled these atrocities, looked the other way, and most sickening of all, allowed it to continue over and over. All to protect the precious Nittany Lion football program.

I, like many, many, others, was appalled at this, and it shows that it's a direct lie that no one who is currently there was involved or supports this. During the whole exposure the student body just seemed more concerned about the man's legacy, statue, and what kind of penalties the football program would get, then shedding a tear for any of the victims. The whole culture up there is sickening, and there's no other word for it. The PSU people I know are simply pretending it was all a lie or didn't happen.

Then it was earlier this year when a student was literally murdered up there during pledging, where multiple students were actually charged with homicide. I thank the Lord none of my kids will ever attend that horrible place.

It's definitely a cult of personality that's existed and only showed how ugly it was once everything got exposed. I don't mind that they're doing well today, but everything is still within the backdrop of what happened. And I think you can still support the program, and support the victims, it's still in the DNA of a lot of people in Pennsylvania to support Penn State - but those people are the exception. It's been far too important to the family, the program, and much of the fan base to protect and laud Joe Paterno. The way Bill O'Brien was treated while he was there was disgusting.

Although James Franklin putting down Pitt and then icing a kicker with a 56-0 lead doesn't smell good either.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It's definitely a cult of personality that's existed and only showed how ugly it was once everything got exposed. I don't mind that they're doing well today, but everything is still within the backdrop of what happened. And I think you can still support the program, and support the victims, it's still in the DNA of a lot of people in Pennsylvania to support Penn State - but those people are the exception. It's been far too important to the family, the program, and much of the fan base to protect and laud Joe Paterno. The way Bill O'Brien was treated while he was there was disgusting.

Although James Franklin putting down Pitt and then icing a kicker with a 56-0 lead doesn't smell good either.
Don't forget about the stuff (IE: rape and attempted coverup) that went down at Vandy while Franklin was there.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016

And a lot of us do support the program as well as the victims.

In terms of JoePa: I feel it's mostly the old guard. The kids that were involved in honoring him were influenced by the old guard. And not everyone believes everything that's been said out there (I'm not personally saying I doubt what he did was wrong! Before you attack me. Go over to our Rivals board, BWI, if you want to talk to the people that know the situation best).

I hate talking about the past. I'll gladly talk present and future now: while he was a legend, JoePa finally leaving and Franklin coming along was great for the future of this program. And much needed.

I get the Franklin hate, but he has that edge about him that winners have. The shot at Pitt was completely warranted because their coach is an arrogant clown himself, but he can't back it up because he is in charge of an irrelevant, little brother, Mickey Mouse program who's only claim to fame over the past 35 years is a few spoiler wins. The 56-0 thing... I mean Franklin is an intense guy. He's trying to be perfect, and style points matter big time in this day and age of college football.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don't forget about the stuff (IE: rape and attempted coverup) that went down at Vandy while Franklin was there.

I actually don't remember that at all. Will have to look it up.

In terms of JoePa: I feel it's mostly the old guard. The kids that were involved in honoring him were influenced by the old guard. And not everyone believes everything that's been said out there (I'm not personally saying I doubt what he did was wrong! Before you attack me. Go over to our Rivals board, BWI, if you want to talk to the people that know the situation best).

I hate talking about the past. I'll gladly talk present and future now: while he was a legend, JoePa finally leaving and Franklin coming along was great for the future of this program. And much needed.

I get the Franklin hate, but he has that edge about him that winners have. The shot at Pitt was completely warranted because their coach is an arrogant clown himself, but he can't back it up because he is in charge of an irrelevant, little brother, Mickey Mouse program who's only claim to fame over the past 35 years is a few spoiler wins. The 56-0 thing... I mean Franklin is an intense guy. He's trying to be perfect, and style points matter big time in this day and age of college football.

I think the closer you get to State College the more it exists. Even in the presence of other programs.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I was at the USC vs Texas game, the longhorns can't just simply lose in a non heart breaking way. Also Darnold did not look good.

member 51464

Penn State, based on my exposure to their fans and the few times I've been in Pennsylvania, isn't really a Big Ten school in character. I think everyone involved would have been better off if they had joined an Eastern league. Of course, now, with Rutgers and Maryland there's two more schools in the league that don't fit into the Big Ten culturally.

Can you expand on this a bit?

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

Hell ****ing no. I've never seen a forum quite like that. I thought Bama fans were nuts but the conversations that take place on BWI are truly mind blowing in the worst ways.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Hell ****ing no. I've never seen a forum quite like that. I thought Bama fans were nuts but the conversations that take place on BWI are truly mind blowing in the worst ways.
There's a fair share of nuts. But they also are among the most dedicated and in the know Nittany Lion boosters.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Can you expand on this a bit?

Well, the Big Ten is the conference of Midwestern flagship state universities (plus Northwestern which in itself is a bit of an outlier even if it fits better geographically) and collegiate athletics are very much seen through the prisms of state pride.

In terms of culture, the East Coast is a bit different than the Midwest. It's dominated by the big metro areas..New York, Philly, Boston, the DMV.

Everyone's a bit louder, a bit less deferential and more aggressive. In terms of sports, it's a pro sports-driven culture. College football isn't that big and fans seem to support college sports as if they were pro sports as that's what they normally watch.

Now, Penn State football is obviously an exception in that it's massive in the large and relatively rural middle of PA between Pittsburgh and Philly. But there's still that kind of Eastern style, loud and obnoxious to the outsider. No Midwest Nice there.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Sad thing is there was a proposal back in the day, and JoePa was one of the leading proponents of it, of starting an Eastern football league out of the Eastern independents at the time. IE:

Penn State, Pitt, WVU, Temple (they were good at the time), Cuse, BC. And there was talk at the time that Maryland, Louisville, VPI, and FSU would be joining, with likely Miami (who wasn't a power at the time) and South Carolina getting invites as well.

It was shot down. The Big East was forming at around the same time frame and I can't remember what the sticking point was (something around revenue sharing IIRC) but BC, Pitt, and Cuse shot them down over it and ended up joining the Big East instead.

Penn State also attempted to join the Big East as well before they joined the Big 10 and, again, were shot down. Though that one is far more obvious as Ped State has been utterly irrelevant in basketball forever and basketball at the time still drove the bus in the Big East. Hell it took basically an act of god to get WVU and Virginia Tech in the Big East... seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad