NCAA GDT: Week 12

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
ND literally tried to give the game away but BC didn't take it. Still a great defensive effort by BC.

Nope. That is just how they play vs these teams (Pittsburgh, Navy/Army, Boston College) and then you have 1 other team that is random. This year it was Virginia it seems.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
How does the pac 12 champ work

If Stanford gets a loss tonight, they Move to 7 and 2. No more conference games left.

Then Oregon beats Oregon state. And they go to 7 and 2. Does it go to best overall record or what?

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Nope. That is just how they play vs these teams (Pittsburgh, Navy/Army, Boston College) and then you have 1 other team that is random. This year it was Virginia it seems.

They win games by the skin of their teeth. Even as a huge ND fan I know they are always over ranked. They are a very good team but they are not dominant. That's why they got their ass handed to them vs Alabama in the National Championship a few years ago.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
They win games by the skin of their teeth. Even as a huge ND fan I know they are always over ranked. They are a very good team but they are not dominant. That's why they got their ass handed to them vs Alabama in the National Championship a few years ago.

Yeah I know. Glad you can see that though.

CFB really needs a preseason game or something. They almost didnt get a bowl game last year, but somehow are in the top 10 to start the season.

Michigan didnt get a bowl game last year, now a top 10 team. and then countless others. I just dont understand any of the 1st week polls lol. Some teams are in because they did good last year, and then bad teams are in for some reason. All over the place.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
How does the pac 12 champ work

If Stanford gets a loss tonight, they Move to 7 and 2. No more conference games left.

Then Oregon beats Oregon state. And they go to 7 and 2. Does it go to best overall record or what?

The head to head game is the tie break, unless three or more teams have the same conference record, in which case:

(from wiki)

The following procedures will only be used to eliminate all but two teams, at which point the two-team tie-breaking procedure (head-to-head result) will be applied.

1 - Head-to-head (best record in games among the tied teams).
2 - Record in games played within the division.
3 - Record against the next highest placed team in the division (based on record in all Conference games, both divisional and cross-divisional), proceeding through the division.
4 - Record in common Conference games.
5 - Highest CFP ranking following the last weekend of regular-season games.

Stanford lost to Oregon, so if they stay tied, Chairman Mallard will be in a good mood :)

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Dont matter cause stanford won lol.

But they really should not be up there. They should have lost to USC weeks ago

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Maybe. Either way, Stanford//UCLA will be fun as **** to watch if things stay status-quo.

UCLA has to get by USC. will be a tough game. And USC is at home.

I think USC will be playing to get revenge on Stanford. Not even playing against UCLA even tho they are rivals. lol

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Even though I didn't attend, UCLA was on my short list for undergrad because of a specific prof.

As such, I am always confident that they will smoke those "other guys" from down the street :laugh:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Would be a fitting end to the gong show the Pac-12 has been this season if a 4 loss USC team wins the conf championship and goes to the Rose Bowl.

I expect when it's all said and done after next week it will be a couple of 3 loss teams going at it though with UCLA vs. Stanford.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Did someone actually ask Cardale if he's going pro? I saw the tweet, all it said was that it was the last time he was going into the Shoe, never specified whether he meant this year, or ever.

I think its hilarious that those guys lose 1 game and everyone is at each other's throat. They didn't do this when they lost to Virginia Tech

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
1. Clemson (11-0)
2. Alabama (10-1)
3. Notre Dame (10-1)
4. Michigan St. (10-1)
5. Iowa (11-0)
6. Oklahoma (10-1)
7. Baylor (9-1)
8. Ohio St. (10-1)
9. Florida (10-1)
10. Oklahoma St. (10-1)
11. Michigan (9-2)
12. Stanford (9-2)
13. Florida St. (9-2)
14. North Carolina (10-1)
15. Northwestern (9-2)
16. Navy (9-1)
17. TCU (9-2)
18. Ole Miss (8-3)
19. UCLA (8-3)
20. Utah (8-3)
21. Oregon (8-3)
22. LSU (7-3)
23. Washington St. (8-3)
24. Mississippi St. (8-3)
25. Houston (10-1)

Are there any teams in the Top 4 that could lose one game and still be in the playoffs if all of the #5 to #10 teams win out as much as possible (I know OK or OKS have to lose one game).

This mainly would apply to Clemson and ND as Ala. and MS would have lost to Fla. and Iowa.

I can see ND losing their spot but what about Clemson if they lost either to SC or NC? I think Florida would be a lock and OK/Baylor could take Clemson's spot.

Conversely, what teams in the Top 20 do not have a shot to get in? I think Michigan, maybe Stanford, is the lowest that could get in right now if everything went their way.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Okie State's done. Big 12's only hope left is OU right now. MAYBE Baylor depending on how they show in their last game.

Still pulling for Stanford to "upset" ND, because I can't see the committee taking Iowa after they lose in the B1G title game.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Are there any teams in the Top 4 that could lose one game and still be in the playoffs if all of the #5 to #10 teams win out as much as possible (I know OK or OKS have to lose one game).

This mainly would apply to Clemson and ND as Ala. and MS would have lost to Fla. and Iowa.

I can see ND losing their spot but what about Clemson if they lost either to SC or NC? I think Florida would be a lock and OK/Baylor could take Clemson's spot.

Conversely, what teams in the Top 20 do not have a shot to get in? I think Michigan, maybe Stanford, is the lowest that could get in right now if everything went their way.

wow i typed all that and i just realized the question lol nevermind.

Only bama. Because SEC bias. Any other team loses and they are probably done

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It doesn't matter much which of Iowa or Sparty is in the Top 4, assuming they both win next week, the B1G title game will be a play-in game to the playoff.

Sucks for UNC that they lost to South Carolina to start the season, or they'd be in it. I don't think they'll climb high enough even if they beat Clemson.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It doesn't matter much which of Iowa or Sparty is in the Top 4, assuming they both win next week, the B1G title game will be a play-in game to the playoff.

Sucks for UNC that they lost to South Carolina to start the season, or they'd be in it. I don't think they'll climb high enough even if they beat Clemson.

They won't. They have the same problem that Iowa would have if Iowa loses the B1G title game. They didn't really play anyone of note outside of the CCG. Their best win is over a pretty "meh" Pitt team. Duke going in the toilet after that Miami debacle really hurts them in a big way.

The way I see it breaking down now, we're realistically down to 8 teams:

SEC Champ is a lock - Bama or Gata
B1G Champ is a lock - Iowa or Sparty
Domers have to win out
ACC has to hope Clemson wins out
Big <12 has to hope that one of the Domers or Clemson loses, and that either OU or Baylor wins.

There's a chance that OU could jump the Domers but they're the only team that has a shot in hell of that.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't say so. I think Florida can and will lose to the Noles.

That seems to be a somewhat likely (or not a completely unlikely) scenario which would open the door to some interesting possibilities. Would any of the one or two Big 12 teams at one loss be chosen over a 2 loss Florida team? Even a two loss Spartan team could happen.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

If Florida lost to FSU but then beat Alabama, SEC bias would still give them a shot. Oklahoma is the one Big 12 team that the commitee seems to give some respect to, due to tradition and past glory I'm assuming, so they probably would get the nod over Florida in that situation. OK State and Baylor are hooped though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

This is true, not sure why I forgot that they hadn't played yet.

That seems to be a somewhat likely (or not a completely unlikely) scenario which would open the door to some interesting possibilities. Would any of the one or two Big 12 teams at one loss be chosen over a 2 loss Florida team? Even a two loss Spartan team could happen.

I think 2 losses has anyone out at this point unless we have more chaos next week.

There's a slim but existent chance that both a 1 loss OU and Baylor could sneak in to that spot with a UF loss to FSU but upset of Bama, and a Domer loss to Stanford. Or a 1 loss Carolina sneaking in if they were to upset Clemson.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He's not wrong. Was it the right place for it to be said? No, but it needed to be said.

Spin it however you want but its terrible optics. I think Michigan State's defense forced the conservative game plan. Ohio State has no one that scares you on the outside so State played downhill all game and whipped tOSU's o-line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad