NFL GDT: Week 1 - Monday Night Football Edition (Part 3)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
McCarron will definitely start at some point because Carr will get hurt.

It didn't help matters that Downing enabled that bullshit last season.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah they're doing their best. The team is the oldest roster in the league for a reason. All the young guys Reggie drafted were garbage and they couldn't field that team. Those guys are barely in the league if at all.

Yep. Horrendous recent drafts from Reggie left a huge void in the roster.

Gruden needed contributors and wanted to build a new culture. Loading up on vets on short deals while you draft a new core makes sense.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Absolutely possible. Gruden just flipped their franchise cornerstone on defense for a bunch of maybes. If this is the new Carr (given how his regression started last season already, that's also a decent possibility) i can see Gruden benching him and then moving on from him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Right now Carr is showing a few of the traits some of those pre-draft scouting reports warned about. IIRC, happy feet in the pocket and decision making under pressure were two of the main ones.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yep. Horrendous recent draft classes from Reggie left a huge void in the roster.

Gruden needed contributors and wanted to build a new culture. Loading up on vets on short deals while you draft a new core makes sense.

I think the Mack trade telegraphed Gruden's plans. They can say whatever they want but that trade is a huge sign he didn't think the team was going to compete for a while. When you see what's under center, you know it's true. Writing on the wall for me was a play in preseason where Carr did the exact same stuff we're talking about being a problem here. That's going through a whole camp and doing the same stuff.

Absolutely possible. Gruden just flipped their franchise cornerstone on defense for a bunch of maybes. If this is the new Carr (given how his regression started last season already, that's also a decent possibility) i can see Gruden benching him and then moving on from him.

They're gonna need those picks to pick a new QB or move up. Gruden took the long view. Look at the skill positions for a good laugh too. There hasn't been a high round WR or RB pick for years. Not first, not second, not third, not fourth.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think the Mack trade telegraphed Gruden's plans. They can say whatever they want but that trade is a huge sign he didn't think the team was going to compete for a while. When you see what's under center, you know it's true. Writing on the wall for me was a play in preseason where Carr did the exact same stuff we're talking about being a problem here. That's going through a whole camp and doing the same stuff.

They're gonna need those picks to pick a new QB or move up. Gruden took the long view.

I'm not saying it's a bad move, but it just indicates exactly what you said: Gruden believes a rebuild is needed.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

They're gonna need those picks to pick a new QB. Gruden took the long view.

No doubt. And to be fair , why should he feel like the team was able to compete? 1 winning season in 14 years , and like 3 straight brutal drafts before he was hired.

I actually agreed with the Mack trade. He needs to rebuild the team , and he's got the longterm security to do it.

We'll see what happens with Carr , but I'm not writing him off completely-- yet.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Forget 2016. The Raiders of 2015 with Carr/Cooper/Crabtree and a young Khalil Mack, swashbuckling riverboat gambler Jack Del Rio as coach....... how do you let things go from that to this?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm not saying it's a bad move, but it just indicates exactly what you said: Gruden believes a rebuild is needed.

He's not wrong. I'm still super pissed about the trade, but if you look at things very rationally, how could the Raiders compete? They have no quality second-third year players on the roster. Not a single one! It's year four for Cooper too, not a single other good fourth year player on the team.

I still have major doubts that Gruden will be able to identify talent.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Forget 2016. The Raiders of 2015 with Carr/Cooper/Crabtree and a young Khalil Mack, swashbuckling riverboat gambler Jack Del Rio as coach....... how do you let things go from that to this?

They pulled a lot of games out of their asses. That's what happened.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Broken leg and broken back for the QB will do it, they also caught a lot of teams by surprise with play calling. Offenses in this league are very QB driven. The defense was never good.

Teams also have to consistently bring in new players on offense. Look at what the Chiefs do. The Raiders did not do that. Electric playmakers like Hill do not exist in Oakland.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
While we're at it, might as well also mention Cooper's poor play. I don't know what his deal is but I don't think it's entirely tied to Carr's regression. He went from a potential all-pro type of WR to one who might not even get a second contract with the team if this continues.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
While we're at it, might as well also mention Cooper's poor play. I don't know what his deal is but I don't think it's entirely tied to Carr's regression. He went from a potential all-pro type of WR to one who might not even get a second contract with the team if this continues.

It's part Carr not holding the ball long enough to get it to him, other part he had a bum ankle last season and he played through it all year. I think there may be something left from this. You have to protect your talent.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
He could move on from Carr but AJ McCarron is not it.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart

A guy that is scared to be hit, a guy that struggles to catch the ball, Crabtree was replaced the Nelson (also some rumors of being a problem in the lockerroom). And Del Rio simply ran out of luck with his gambling.

Didn't help either that they had an idiot as DC with Ken Norton Jr. and a GM that has missed on most drafts.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That doesn't mean McCarron won't get a shot. He's definitely not the answer, but him starting when the season's a wash wouldn't indicate that either.

It's funny how things can change so fast: In 2016, The Raiders looked like they might be on the way back to relevancy (maybe not SB contender, but certainly a playoff team) with a solid young core of an emerging Derek Carr, a burner in Amari Cooper at WR, and an absolute freak in Kalil Mack on defense.

Two years later: Carr ****s himself at the thought of a pass rush, Cooper can't catch a ball and Mack is in Chicago.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
One thing I hope Gruden learns quickly is to take away all possible checkdown options for Carr. In 2016 when that happened Carr did a lot better. There could still be a way to get him to play better, the problem is that there's absolutely nothing for him to throw to.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Rumors in SEC country is that Amari never wanted to play in Oakland to begin with. He wants to be closer to home due some family stuff.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
One thing I hope Gruden learns quickly is to take away all possible checkdown options for Carr. In 2016 when that happened Carr did a lot better. There could still be a way to get him to play better, the problem is that there's absolutely nothing for him to throw to.

Check downs are necessary but Carr abuses his more than any other QB in the league.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
So Draft Kings is running a free pick 'em contest this year where you can win your share of X dollars per week depending on how many you pick correctly and how many people get as many right as you, and in Week 1 (Thursday not included), exactly zero people got 14/14, if you discount the tie. I guess that Saints game f***ed over everyone.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lions losing at home to a rookie QB in his first start probably didn’t help in his

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad