Proposal: Weegar to Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Johnsson + Dermott > Kerfoot + Dermott + Holl

imo

Dermott is the key piece in the eyes of management and probably the nonstarter for both proposals. And while Johnsson I think is the more talented than Kerfoot and Holl, they play far more important positions.

Edit: This isn’t to suggest it’s a good trade for Florida either. Two different teams with different needs. My bet is just that Leafs management aren’t at all interested in moving Dermott, or they would have done Dermott + Johnsson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not saying that Dermott is better than Weegar, but there are things we need to keep in perspective.

Dermott has 157 NHL games under his belt so far, and has rarely been given the opportunity to move up the lineup. That doesn't mean he isn't capable, it's just where he's been played. When Rielly and Muzzin were injured at the same time last year, Dermott moved to top pairing. He stepped up big time during those games, and wasn't on the ice for goals against, in several of those games, and limited chances... very small sample set though, and he's only 23. Dermott has more to give, than we've seen, and will be cost controlled for some time still.

At the same age, Weegar had 3 NHL games under his belt. At the same age, Dermott was much further ahead in his development. Dermott is physically a bigger man (not by much though), and last year, they had the same number of hits. Mostly playing third pairing situations, Dermott's highest points total, is one point less, than Weegar's career best(playing with Ekblad), in far less ice time.

Last year, Dermott played a ton with Barrie, Holl and Ceci... Weegar played with Ekblad almost 60% of the time.

You put Dermott with Ekblad, and Weegar with Barrie and Ceci, and I think the conversation is somewhat different.

I really like Weegar, and today, he's a better D.. I'd love to have added him to the Leafs. I don't think you give up on 23 year old D men, who has 157 NHL games, and is showing decent promise. At peak... they are probably very similar players.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I'm not saying that Dermott is better than Weegar, but there are things we need to keep in perspective.

Dermott has 157 NHL games under his belt so far, and has rarely been given the opportunity to move up the lineup. That doesn't mean he isn't capable, it's just where he's been played. When Rielly and Muzzin were injured at the same time last year, Dermott moved to top pairing. He stepped up big time during those games, and wasn't on the ice for goals against, in several of those games, and limited chances... very small sample set though, and he's only 23. Dermott has more to give, than we've seen, and will be cost controlled for some time still.

At the same age, Weegar had 3 NHL games under his belt. At the same age, Dermott was much further ahead in his development. Dermott is physically a bigger man (not by much though), and last year, they had the same number of hits. Mostly playing third pairing situations, Dermott's highest points total, is one point less, than Weegar's career best(playing with Ekblad), in far less ice time.

Last year, Dermott played a ton with Barrie, Holl and Ceci... Weegar played with Ekblad almost 60% of the time.

You put Dermott with Ekblad, and Weegar with Barrie and Ceci, and I think the conversation is somewhat different.

I really like Weegar, and today, he's a better D.. I'd love to have added him to the Leafs. I don't think you give up on 23 year old D men, who has 157 NHL games, and is showing decent promise. At peak... they are probably very similar players.

good post. this is probably why the leafs turned down Dermott+Johnsson for Weegar

Reactions: 1FreakZilla3

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
“So hear me out. The leafs get both the better players in the deal while giving away things they don’t want anymore. Who says no?”
Have to laugh at this one. Leafs get a top 4d for what? Pieces they don't want anymore?

Not to say the circumstances are the same, or this deal is in anyway a good deal for Florida. But after the nuttiness this offseason are you guys really playing the value card?

Nate Schmidt who is a much better D went for a 3rd.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

You like Weegar but yet had to rub Dermotts back and praise him through this entire post?

Weegar was a 7th round pick
Dermott was a 2nd round pick

I'd hope Dermott is beating his progression/trajectory.

You say Dermott hasn't been given a shot to play more but he couldn't beat out Holl or Ceci on the right side this year?

Holl had way more AHL games under his belt than Dermott but less NHL games.

Ceci wasn't exactly lighting it up there this year, he just played a ton of PK and Torontos PK was 21/31 teams.

Weegar got a shot and took advantage of it, he also deserved it, literally improving every single year since his junior days.

Not to say the circumstances are the same, or this deal is in anyway a good deal for Florida. But after the nuttiness this offseason are you guys really playing the value card?

Nate Schmidt who is a much better D went for a 3rd.

How much cap space did VGK have at the time?
How much cap space does FLA have now?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
You do know that Acciari scores 20 goals last season as a heart and soul player on a sweet deal?

Honestly Florida fans don’t view the Toronto bottom pair defensemen/bottom 6 forwards as worth Weegar, certainly not Acciari. Most of us are suspicious of Friedman tbh: he said i think not I heard

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

You say Dermott hasn't been given a shot to play more but he couldn't beat out Holl or Ceci on the right side this year?
?

To date, he's a LD, behind Muzzin and Rielly... Holl and Ceci don't have much to do with it. There is speculation that Dermott might be tried at RD, but that is more fan speculation, than anything else.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I like Weegar a lot, but Dermott now is basically Weegar at the beginning of the 2019-20 season, waiting for his chance to really prove himself in the top-4 (except 3 years younger). No chance I add him to a Weegar deal.

I think there was a chance a deal for Weegar happened, but it passed after we signed Brodie & Florida asked for too much.

And also: Dermott was in the 91st percentile of GAR last season, so no he's not some piece we just want to get rid of. (Weegar was in the 86th - so it's not like he's some slouch either).

Reactions: Fogelhund

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
We
How much money does FLA have now?

Not saying that is the case, just pointing out it would be naive to think every player would return full value this offseason.
well our owners owns a financial firm with a return ocer 70 percent this year so a good bit ;)

Unlike in Canada, for a bunch of reasons, American markets have down quite well and are at near all time highs

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Lol at people downplaying Dermott's value because the Leafs have a surplus of left handed D.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Lol at people downplaying Dermott's value because the Leafs have a surplus of left handed D.
It’s more than last a lack of a track record is the problem: the argument I get is that he might be Weegar. Do you take the mystery box that might be a boat or the boat itself?

This proposal is terrible because it tosses in Acciari who won’t be traded

Reactions: Ambisextrous
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad