Friedman: Weegar extension with CGY likely to be similar to Hampus Lindholm extension (8 years, 6.5 M per)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Weegar is a damn good defensemen that makes some loud mistakes but his overall impact on his teams success while he's on the ice is undeniable.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yep. Some good pieces but the next two years is really the window with the older core pieces.
Nazem Kadri had the best year of his career, scoring 87 pts in 71 games. at the age of 31. Why can't Huberdeau do that or come close to that when he's 31? Three seasons from now, Huberdeau will be 31. Weegar is 6 months younger than Huberdeau.

Oh, and @Haatley left out good prospects such as Jacob Pelletier, Matthew Coronato, Adam Ruzicka, Rory Kerins (in case you're not familiar with Kerins he finished 2nd in OHL scoring last year), and lets not forget the best goalie in the AHL last year... 21 year old Dustin Wolf.

Reactions: Mitts and Haatley

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Overpaid in comparison to what exactly? Not market value, that's for sure.

Spurgeon and Lindholm are two very comparable players - look at their respective deals.

Cause he made a mistake in the playoffs. Doesn't matter what he did the other 95% of the time.

Brodie conversation all over again haha

Reactions: I am not exposed

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
hes paid like a 0.5ppg d-man, but he will be a 0.2ppg d-man, and im more than happy if im wrong, i love the Flames!

I mean, Calgary just had four D go for record years; it's a back-end offensive heavy team. There's clearly no Makar/Josi back there, but there are now a number of guys who could go for 35-55.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
And MacKinnon only has his generous contract because he signed longterm after a disappointing couple seasons, after which he promptly broke out.

What the Avalanche did well was decide valuable pieces were expendable and moved them out. O'Reilly, Duchene and Barrie were all moved out for value and they happened to hit a couple home runs.

Did the Avs get great value on ROR. They traded a star for a depth package. That package even then were NHL ready players, which signals to me they intended to compete, as opposed to rebuild. It just so happened that they sucked exactly long enough to swoop in and acquire Makar via draft. Even then, Colorado was the worst team in the league and just happened to get luck enough to lose that draft and drop from #1 to #4 (under the new draft rules). They avoided Hischier (getting better but no Makar) and Nolan and picked up Makar.

Just ass backwards luck. Not planning.

The Barrie move was very solid IMO. Trading from a position of strength to fill out centre depth (which they had traded away previously without a plan). Who though Kadri would have improved from a 60 point hot head to the best #2 centre in the league though.

Ledge And Dairy

Overpaid as what he will bring to the table, he won't be a 44 point d in CGY.
Based on what? He will probably get quite a lot of PP time that he really didnt get at all in Florida. Calgary's d-core put up 205 points last year ranking them 4th for points from the blue line. The only change from last year is upgrading Gudbranson to Weegar.

Reactions: Haatley

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

The Calgary Flames are a lot closer to winning the Stanley Cup than the Florida Panthers, incoming defenceman MacKenzie Weegar declared Wednesday.

Weegar, who was acquired by the Flames from the Panthers alongside winger Jonathan Huberdeau in a blockbuster swap also featuring Matthew Tkachuk, thinks his new team is prime to contend now.

“There’s lots of excitement,” said Weegar from the 2022 Flames Charity Golf Classic. “Obviously, coming from Florida on a good team and then coming here now, I’d say we’re a better team than Florida is. It’s going to be really exciting. I think a lot of people have come up to me in the city, a lot of fans and stuff that they’re really excited for this season and Johnny and I and [Nazem Kadri] and a couple of new faces here. It’s going to be a good season, and I’m excited just as much as they are.”

Reactions: Haatley

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

The Calgary Flames are a lot closer to winning the Stanley Cup than the Florida Panthers, incoming defenceman MacKenzie Weegar declared Wednesday.

Weegar, who was acquired by the Flames from the Panthers alongside winger Jonathan Huberdeau in a blockbuster swap also featuring Matthew Tkachuk, thinks his new team is prime to contend now.

“There’s lots of excitement,” said Weegar from the 2022 Flames Charity Golf Classic. “Obviously, coming from Florida on a good team and then coming here now, I’d say we’re a better team than Florida is. It’s going to be really exciting. I think a lot of people have come up to me in the city, a lot of fans and stuff that they’re really excited for this season and Johnny and I and [Nazem Kadri] and a couple of new faces here. It’s going to be a good season, and I’m excited just as much as they are.”

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, Calgary actually has a defense unlike Florida.

Also, why is the media trying to stir up shit and ask that? Weegar is showing optimism with his team and saying that he thinks his new team will be great.

Reactions: 1989

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Good deal for the Flames. Mean while we are stuck with Nurse at 9.25M and that sucks. I like Nurse just not at that price point.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
No. You just can't rely on getting 3-4 top 3 picks anymore as the draft rules have changed. They changed in 2016. No teams have drafted their stars since then. You aren't going to draft a team with Malkin, Crosby, and Fleury..and then get another chance with J. Staal. That's no the way it works anymore. Under the new rules, you're lucky to get one star and then you have to build. The future champions will be more St. Louis and less Pittsburgh.

Sutter is also totally capable of coaching a team with the talent of the Flames, especially in the new league with more parody, to victory.
The rules have changed regarding how many first overall / lottery wins you can get. It doesn't stop teams from consistently picking within the top ten over and over. Colorado would still be able to assemble what they have for the most part. The changes to the rules won't change the impact that young, highly talented, short-term affordable stars can do for a hockey club. There is a slew of clubs that are still consistently drafting high-end talent despite your quoted rule change, and are positioning themselves to be some of the most dangerous clubs in the league. Time will tell if the Buffalos, NJs, NYRs, etc. can actually make it work, but they are undoubtedly better positioned than most clubs to win a Cup in the medium-term.

I do agree that it is about identifying talent that fits within your system and I think Sutter can definitely get the most out of this crew, and I do hope they are successful. The other key to it is identifying already drafted HIGH END, typically top picks that need a change of scenery to flourish. I do think Huby can do that with the Flames but it only reinforces the importance of the draft.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Really weak and nitpicky argument. The LA Kings won in 2014 with only Doughty being drafted in the top 2 from their season starting roster. The Bruins won in 2011 with a 19 year old Tyler Seguin as their only top 2 pick on the roster and he only played 13 games in the playoffs.

Huberdeau was drafted 3rd overall. If all that matters is draft position then how is 2nd to 3rd a championship defining difference?
I mean I may be "nitpicky" to say that high-end talent matters but when your anomaly example for the LA Kings was a 2nd overall selection that was paramount to that team being successful, it only proves my point. LA also did a great job identifying highly drafted players that needed a change and fit their system. Credit to Sutter, he got the most out of Kopi (10th OA), Williams (10th? OA), Carter (11 OA), and Gaborik ( 3 OA). I hope he can do it again in Calgary and I do think Huby will help.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
If Draisaitl is a superstar, so is Huberdeau.

The difference between them, is one gets to play with McDavid on the powerplay and one never has.
Actually the difference is one is just flat out better than the other.
1340 players have stepped foot on an NHL ice surface over the past 4 years and Jonathan Huberdeau ranks in the 99.97 percentile among them in point production. If you want to draw some weird line in the sand in terms of what defines a "superstar" then go ahead.

It's not really a weird line when anyone with a semblance of objectivity analyzes players beyond simple point production. He is excellent offensively, awful defensively as stated earlier. His net effect is consistently under the level of superstars.

Like I said, refer to any of the summary advanced stats which encapsulates his overall effect on the ice and not just a basic snapshot of point production. Projected 87% WAR (Jfresh) with 84% off, 9% def. Or fairly a Tier 3 player in Athletic's recent player ranking (GSVA).

This is not a new fact, but sure let's close our eyes and only look at his point production and we can pretend he's a superstar if it makes you feel better

Ledge And Dairy

I mean I may be "nitpicky" to say that high-end talent matters but when your anomaly example for the LA Kings was a 2nd overall selection that was paramount to that team being successful, it only proves my point. LA also did a great job identifying highly drafted players that needed a change and fit their system. Credit to Sutter, he got the most out of Kopi (10th OA), Williams (10th? OA), Carter (11 OA), and Gaborik ( 3 OA). I hope he can do it again in Calgary and I do think Huby will help.
They problem is your obsession with draft position. Was Doughty relevant? Certainly. What if the Kings had picked 15th in 2008 instead of 2nd, would Erik Karlsson have had a similar impact on their cup run? Probably.

Also Gaborik was a deadline addition. He should absolutely not be included in an argument here as Calgary is very capable of making a big add at the deadline. But on that topic there are 2 pending UFA's that could very possibly ve available at the deadline, one was drafted 2nd OA and the other 25th OA. Which do you think would be a more effective addition?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad