Friedman: Weegar extension with CGY likely to be similar to Hampus Lindholm extension (8 years, 6.5 M per)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
6.5per isn’t that bad. 5.5 would’ve been my perfect numbers. And for 5-6yrs. Either way that’ll work out solid for Calgary. Both him and Huberdeau may struggle on bloated contracts possibly in those last 3yrs but will keep them competitive for the next several years at least. Point remains though, even if he signs for that, I still didn’t want both him and Huberdeau locked up for a combined 17mil for 8yrs (locked in for the next 9yrs since they have one year each remaining). To go with Barkov’s 10, I didn’t want 27mil in that trio. No one has to “win” the trade, it can work for both sides. I said after the playoffs and before this even happened I didn’t wanna commit to either at the dollar figure they were most likely going to get, but it’ll work for Calgary. Both parties should be happy and who cares who finishes higher or not.

Reactions: violaswallet

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Would never happen.

1. They won’t separate Rantanen and Mackinnon.

2. Barkov and Huberdeau were not linemates in Florida at all.

3. Landeskog turns 30 next year and inevitably declines are going to happen.

Trading Landeskog is obivous. It’s not Landeskogs team. It’s Mackinnons team. Everyone knows this.

With salary caps likely to exceed 100m in the next 3-4 years getting both Mackinnon and Rantanen at $12-14M locked down will keep their window open for the next 3-5 years.

The return Calgary got for Tkachuk is unlikely if at all ever to happen again.

Colorado really has no choice but to trade away a core piece as they need all the money even with cap increases to pay for Byram as well.

Why anyone would trade Rantanen is beyond me.

Oddly Landeskog is so similar to Pacioretty. Guy is made of glass and can’t play a full season.

Trading Landeskog for a 2nd/3rd is about full value for a player who will regress when he’s taken away from elite top 6 players. Let alone the fact he isn’t gonna age well.

Regardless, they gave up more than they should have.
They did not have to give up their future franchise players in Lundell and Knight and locked down a franchise player i Tkchuk.

Reactions: JP Mick

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They did not have to give up their future franchise players in Lundell and Knight and locked down a franchise player i Tkchuk.
Lol Tkachuk is not a franchise player
Neither Lindell or knight

Unless you think every team has 5 franchise players

Reactions: Mitts

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Lol Tkachuk is not a franchise player
Neither Lindell or knight

Unless you think every team has 5 franchise players
Sounds kike you have not watched Anton play at all. But you shoul have seen enough if Mathew to have a fair opinion. I just think you cant look at the return and quality of players, cap hit and the age are equally important. IF Lundell and Knight are not franchise players Zito would have moved them for Cyhryn, Laine and Tckacuk a long time ago.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Sounds kike you have not watched Anton play at all. But you shoul have seen enough if Mathew to have a fair opinion. I just think you cant look at the return and quality of players, cap hit and the age are equally important. IF Lundell and Knight are not franchise players Zito would have moved them for Cyhryn, Laine and Tckacuk a long time ago.
I think Lundell has the ability to be a superstar. Tkachuk's biggest problem is that he thinks he's a franchise player but in reality is probably closer to a Landeskog. Definitely a player that you'd want but lacking the ability to really put a team on his back. Luckily for the Panthers, they already have their franchise player, in Barkov. It should be a very good mix, for years to come.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I reserve franchise player to guys that can carry the team like McDavid, Mackinnon, Matthews…
Tkachuk can’t carry the team. I have no doubt on that. Knight and Lundell has a long way to go before declaring them franchise type.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
As is typical, Weegar agreed to reduce salary in return for longer term. Likely, the Flames will cut Weegar at age 35 or 36. Depending upon the year of contract termination, Weegar will end up getting either $8 million or $7 million per year, after applying the 1/3rd discount for the remaining years of a terminated contract.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I reserve franchise player to guys that can carry the team like McDavid, Mackinnon, Matthews…
Tkachuk can’t carry the team. I have no doubt on that. Knight and Lundell has a long way to go before declaring them franchise type.
We all seem to have our own definition of what a franchise player is. When it comes down to it I suppose every fanbase thinks they have a franchise player... ie the player that they wouldn't trade unless the payment was ridiculously stupid. Now, having an elite franchise player is a different story. I think McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews fall into that category.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I’m the bigger Lundell homer on the board #LundellGOAT

He isn’t a franchise player yet but he is one of the most valuable contracts in the league and that’s why we won’t trade him. He’s a top notch defensive center that paced for 55 points as a rookie with almost no power play time

As is typical, Weegar agreed to reduce salary in return for longer term. Likely, the Flames will cut Weegar at age 35 or 36. Depending upon the year of contract termination, Weegar will end up getting either $8 million or $7 million per year, after applying the 1/3rd discount for the remaining years of a terminated contract.
I’m curious how you do signing bonuses with Weegar: Huby and especially Tkachuk took lower dollar values for more signing bonuses which are buyout exempt…I’m not sure if it is as prudent for Weegar

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Why can't the trade be a win-win?

Both teams got great assets. Weegar made a few really costly blunders in the playoffs, but Sutter will likely coach that out of him.

Remember when Johnny was considered a one dimensional floater? He credited Sutter for his turnaround this year when he learned to backcheck. It will likely be the same thing with Huberdeau.

Either way 6.5 million for a first pairing dman is fine. He is better than Nurse who makes 9.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
I’m curious how you do signing bonuses with Weegar: Huby and especially Tkachuk took lower dollar values for more signing bonuses which are buyout exempt…I’m not sure if it is as prudent for Weegar
Excellent point. We do not know the specifics of Weegar's contract, including buyout exempt bonuses, if any. Along the same lines, it is a matter of speculation as to when and to what extent age catches up with Weegar. For what it is worth, I do not understand the Flames' decision to re-sign Weegar this off-season to a contract extension of this magnitude given that he has a year remaining on his existing contract. With the Flames depth on D, the team seemingly had the luxury of taking a wait and see approach.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Excellent point. We do not know the specifics of Weegar's contract, including buyout exempt bonuses, if any. Along the same lines, it is a matter of speculation as to when and to what extent age catches up with Weegar. For what it is worth, I do not understand the Flames' decision to re-sign Weegar this off-season to a contract extension of this magnitude given that he has a year remaining on his existing contract. With the Flames depth on D, the team seemingly had the luxury of taking a wait and see approach.
There is no extended contract. There is only speculation by Friedman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad