Post-Game Talk: Wed, Sept. 28 |NJD 0 vs PHI 2| Preseason| MARK ALT's injury update

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In their defense, the three prospects they took are doing amazing and proving why they were picked that high...

... Oh wait, no they're not. :laugh:

Thanks Sweeney.

Lol it never gets old

Ottawa passing on him was also silly. Colin White is a solid prospect but not a gamebreaker.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Konecny was just phenomenal. The kid is NHL ready. He would be our 6th best forward right now.

Stolarz was very solid.

Liked what I saw from Morin as well. Sturdy in his own end and made seversl nice breakout passes.
Well you can see that TK has NHL skills but that was an AHL game. He is really tiny and is easily pushed off the puck. Although he may not get much bigger, he will get much stronger over the next two years. Lets see how he does against real NHL forwards and defensemen before we anoint him.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Stayed up late and watched a replay of the game last night. The NHL guys were basically going through the motions. Manning didn't stand out one way or the other, but I think he knew he was playing against inferior opponents, so he just tried to keep it steady.

I liked the way AMac looked. He is obviously trying to ramp it up some because he is playing with desperation. He knows he has to show much more to make the team this year, so I give him credit for putting in an A+ effort. Will it be enough to make the team??? Time will tell.

Morin looked much better tonight than the first game. I know everyone is excited about Provo, Myers, Morin, Sanheim, but let's keep the expectations in check a bit. It's been two preseason games for these guys against a mixed bag of opposition. Many folks seem ready to pencil Myers and Morin in to the D right now, but I think another campaign of seasoning at a lower level would be the wise move.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Remember, too, that a big knock against Konecny was (and remains) that he plays an aggressive game and has already sustained plenty of abuse. Going up against NHLers will only increase his risk of long-term injuries.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Remember, too, that a big knock against Konecny was (and remains) that he plays an aggressive game and has already sustained plenty of abuse. Going up against NHLers will only increase his risk of long-term injuries.

Yeah I think that is the biggest thing (Hextall also mentioned in the offseason he needs to improve defensively). I think everyone can agree he could help this team offensively and he showed that last night, but he'll have to show he's ready in other areas as well.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Yeah I think that is the biggest thing (Hextall also mentioned in the offseason he needs to improve defensively). I think everyone can agree he could help this team offensively and he showed that last night, but he'll have to show he's ready in other areas as well.

I will deal with a few hiccups in his game. Travis has nothing to prove in juniors. He to belongs with the big club. This team needs some infusion of excitement and Travis does this for me.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Well you can see that TK has NHL skills but that was an AHL game. He is really tiny and is easily pushed off the puck. Although he may not get much bigger, he will get much stronger over the next two years. Lets see how he does against real NHL forwards and defensemen before we anoint him.

The kid is ripped and what is he gone to put on? 6 or 7 lbs? It's time Ron.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
The kid is ripped and what is he gone to put on? 6 or 7 lbs? It's time Ron.

Being ripped and muscular has nothing to do with your hockey conditioning. You need to add the muscle in the right places. He needs to properly build his lower body and core, which is very difficult to do by the age of 19. He's a strong kid, but he's not necessarily strong in all of the necessary places. It was evident in the first period that he was getting pushed around and took at least 3 or 4 significant hits. Yes, he bounced right back up, but he needs to learn to avoid that type of punishment. I'm not sure he'll learn in the OHL, given that it's not tremendously physical, but he can build the proper muscle that he needs to be able to ward off those checks.

I'd obviously love to have him on the big club and will have no qualms with it if he is, but I also completely understand the logic in keeping him down for one more season.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Stayed up late and watched a replay of the game last night. The NHL guys were basically going through the motions. Manning didn't stand out one way or the other, but I think he knew he was playing against inferior opponents, so he just tried to keep it steady.

I liked the way AMac looked. He is obviously trying to ramp it up some because he is playing with desperation. He knows he has to show much more to make the team this year, so I give him credit for putting in an A+ effort. Will it be enough to make the team??? Time will tell.

Morin looked much better tonight than the first game. I know everyone is excited about Provo, Myers, Morin, Sanheim, but let's keep the expectations in check a bit. It's been two preseason games for these guys against a mixed bag of opposition. Many folks seem ready to pencil Myers and Morin in to the D right now, but I think another campaign of seasoning at a lower level would be the wise move.

I don't think anyone penciled morin or Myers in right now. Provorov yes. Those 2 no. Pretty sure everyone seems to be on the same page of Myers back to juniors and morin up by Xmas or deadline.

For once I agree with you on something. Amac looked good. Manning has been overshadowed by a lot of d and will probably get his expansion draft game requirements and be a 7/8. Shultz amac and manning will be 6,7 and 8

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Konecny, Morin and Provorov I think deserve to play on the team this year. Send down AMac and Manning to keep the two D up.

Both need to be on the roster for expansion. Trade one of Streit/Schultz early (to make room for Provorov) and another later (for Morin) and we are on our way.

After LV takes one of McD or Manning, we can dump the other and be on our way.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't think LV takes Mac or Manning, it's more likely they take a forward. Our exposed forwards will be better than our exposed dmen

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

They weren't inferior, they were fellow AHL level players. He didn't stand out because he's where he belongs now. In the NHL he stands out as being trash, in the AHL he blends in with his equals, and in the ECHL he might stand out in a good way. Pretty simple.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I saw an atrocious pass by Manning directly to the opposition. But that's just par for the course for him.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Possible D lineup for Saturday.

MDZ-Ghost
Morin-Sanheim
Provorov-Myers

It's the future!!!

I agree with others that while all could play now, best to have Provorov play a bottom 4 role to start this year and morin to play by the deadline.

On the game last night:
1. PPL is great. It's our first time going since moving to LV. The parking garage is joined with the stadium. The stadium is nice with good features. Nice and open and bright. Reminds me a bit of what I remember of the spectrum with a baseball stadium. We are looking to go again to the phantoms and concerts.
2. Konecny is ready now! He is solid. Played well at hard at both ends. So many good shifts. Could have had a few more goals. He would be one of our best forwards today. He should make the team. He did get into small pushing at the bench, but nothing major. He will be a praise lite in this league. Saw Morin give him a nice "keep it up" chest pat on the way off the ice between periods.
3. Morin is good. Strong player. He made a few mistakes last year that were timing and brain fart related. Last night he was solid. Was strong in his end and had a few nice plays on offense liking creating turnovers at the O blue line. I'd rather ease him in over the course of the year than have him start with the flyers for the nerves.
4. NAK was good. Nothing flashy. What I expected given his age. He will do better to standout next year.
5. I wish I saw more chances on Stolarz and Lyon. Lyon looks like a smaller reactive goalie ~ Nabokov. Stolarz looks like a bigger positional goalie ~ bishop.

This team will be an absolute force in three years and that will carry for sometime with all the great prospects still coming Andrew Hextall at the Helm

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I just don't see him with the Flyers in any fashion. He'll either hang in the AHL for his career, or maybe he can slide into a 6/7 role and show something with another club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad