Post-Game Talk: Wed., Nov. 13, 2013|Flyers 2 at Penguins 1

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
Happy to see everyone has taken a step back from the ledge. If you compared the mood in here to the one even a week ago, wow what a difference.

It's like everyone forgot their meds last week and this week doubled up to make up :lol:

chimrichalds18

the key
Apr 17, 2007
philadelphia
This would be a totally different tune if Kunitz didn't kick that puck in and instead got a stick on it as a result of Coburn's brain fart to start the game. 28 minutes was a hell of a performance but he had a lot of help from Emery, Couts & co.

I would've said it regardless. Yes, it's a team effort, but if your team lets up 1 goal in 60 minutes of a game and you played for half of it, you definitely were an important part. My point remains -- we don't have anybody at this point who can eat up those minutes and be effective.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Im really impressed with this teams defensive play this season. A lot less "WTF" moments occuring. Grossman is a beast, Coburn is a beast.

Im glad we didn't make any dumb trades like Read or Simmonds that people on here wanted to do a few games back.

Like Axl Rose says, "It'll work itself out fine, All we need is just a little patience " :yo: W

I watched the game at 2am after my Mens League Games last night.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I would've said it regardless. Yes, it's a team effort, but if your team lets up 1 goal in 60 minutes of a game and you played for half of it, you definitely were an important part. My point remains -- we don't have anybody at this point who can eat up those minutes and be effective.

Yeah, he spent 6+ minutes short handed. Almost 2 minutes more than any other player. I still don't feel comfortable with him when he's chasing around the puck 1 step behind doing his famous poke checking. Like we all say, when he's physical he seems to be more mentally focused. When he's not, he makes dumb decisions, (bad clearing attempts, missed assignments) and is just a poor player and waste of size. Consistency as always will be the issue with Coburn. Hope he can play off this and stabilize a bit here over the next few months.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Gus keeps impressing me this season as well... the guy is so calm and makes great break out passes to tape consistently, and always seems to be where the puck gets dumped so forecheckers tire themselves chasing a puck that he got rid of a second before.

My biggest concern around him has been that he used to get absolutely destroyed too often and it would lead to indecision, injury etc... but he has seemingly learnt something from Kimmo about bracing himself and using his body efficiently, I have not seen him get knocked over in ages.

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
Big win for the Flyers! Suck it Pens :naughty:

+I love Couturier. Even if he never reaches his offensive potential, its just gorgeous too see how he gets under malkins aka shreks skin, almost every time we play the Penguins. Hopefully he never gets traded!
+Even though Cindy deflected one with his tears into our net, the teams defense have been good this game.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

This is what I don't get about the people who ragged on Carle and now Coburn. It's like they never played on a hockey team themselves. When you play a load of minutes yeah you aren't going to be perfect but there aren't a lot of players that can log a ton of minutes and still be pretty effective for their team overall especially if they are a good transition D man. I know when I play and we have a guy who plays a lot of shifts and minutes back on D I appreciate it a ton especially when he is out and we have to fill the minutes by committee which increases the chances of bad breakdowns.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If you are bored at work, that Pens GDT is a fantastic read :laugh:

I know they lost three straight in which they scored three goals total in those games & lost to a team coming off a back to back games but they still could have won that game. I don't think the pure meltdown by some over there is really warranted IMO.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
:nod: By the way Co-Bourne was good too...

Every member of the blueline had a strong game, especially Braydon Coburn (28:31 of ice time, two blocks, one takeaway) and Kimmo Timonen (24:37). Nicklas Grossmann (19:48, five hits, two blocks) made a coverage mistake on Sidney Crosby's power play goal but was otherwise a beast on defense. Center Sean Couturier did his usual strong job of containing and frustrating Evgeni Malkin in 5-on-5 play. Although the Flyers spend much of the third period on their own side of the red line, they limited the Pens to six shots in crunch time.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...manlike-Win-in-Pittsburgh-Quick-Hits/45/55673

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Couts...the Malkin/Crosby shutdown man. Love it when Malkin started shoving Couts, you know he was under Malkin and Crosby's skin all night.

I loved all three of his "are you serious!?" moments. Here's this 20 year old facing off against vets who are acting like children :laugh:

Coburn has been really good lately. Unfortunately it's pretty likely he'll have another 15-20 games of invisibility/suckage coming up in say, December-February.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Speaking of Malkin, what might have been the implication of Hartnell burying him in the 3rd around center ice with speed, rather than the missed stick check? I'm thinking WWIII, a main boards meltdown, calls for carpet-bombing of Philadelphia, etc.

It was Hartnell doing the fly-by late-ish in the 3rd, right?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think that would be revenge for that playoff matchup way back when where Malkin tackled Hartnell behind the play, punched him in the head a few times, and skated away while a ref stood by and did nothing.

It's disgusting how much Malkin gets away with. It makes zero sense.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think that would be revenge for that playoff matchup way back when where Malkin tackled Hartnell behind the play, punched him in the head a few times, and skated away while a ref stood by and did nothing.

It's disgusting how much Malkin gets away with. It makes zero sense.

For sure, but who outside of this board would consider your perspective? Especially with the special kind of dislike Penguins fans have for Hartnell after the Hulk Hogan imitation?

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Shrek was trying to fight with couts to give Cindy some space, Shrek vs Flyers is nothing but a goon

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Personally, I think I forget how important Couts is until games against the Pens. The guy was dominant and was out in every key situation.

I wish he would pot a few, but I'm pumped with his performance this evening.

Couts is looking MUCH more comfortable with the puck too. He isn't rushing to get rid of it. Maybe it's time for:

Giroux Couts Jake
Schenn Vinny Simmer
Hartnell Read Downie

I kid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad