Post-Game Talk: Wed., Nov. 13, 2013|Flyers 2 at Penguins 1

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Late to the party.

Considering it was a win against Pittsburgh on the second of a back-to-back, it was a fabulous win. Emery and Couturier definitely brought their A games. That last-second chance in the 2nd period by Crosby was way too close, and Emery looked plenty mobile in getting the pad in front of it.

The wet facecloth to my joy of this win was that this was as much the Penguins failing to bury a ton of point-blank shots and odd-man rushes. The Flyers had a LOT of luck on that, and Emery bailed them out a number of times. Couturier the Bust was also, as most have pointed out, a huge part of this win, taking the biggest assignments against Crosby and Malkin.

As others have said, too, great games from Coburn and the Finnish god of defense. New offer: Coburn to Edmonton for Eberle AND Yakupov. :sarcasm:

I'm thankful that the Penguins' first goal was disallowed; even though it seemed clear to be a kicking motion, I've seen some pretty blatant ones deemed good, too.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I've been a strong advocate of keeping these two together as three-zone performers.

This team is still in a tough situation as far as the offensive time splits go since Schenn, Giroux, and Couturier could all use ice-time to get their games going. Then we got Lecavalier dominating face-offs now which adds to the complications (good complications, but still).

I really do like how tonight's lines were used and setup though. Couturier-Read is one combo I don't want to see change. Just makes sense to have our most versatile and most steady two-way presences together. Downie fits well there too since the rest of our wingers include guys like Hartnell, Simmonds, Raffl, etc.

BernieTheGreat1

Sharp, Pointy Teeth
Jul 24, 2011
Camelot
A very yeoman-like, hardworking win tonight against a very dangerous opponent. Looking outside of this season towards the bigger picture that is very encouraging from our younger guys. Nothing wrong with grinding games out for the W.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Read's defense is underrated, and if he's with Couturier more with his shot maybe Couturier can get going more offensively.

I don't know who's underrating Read's defense; most analysts speak highly of him and anyone who has actually watched the Flyers knows he's a good two-way forward. If anything, most think he's overrated offensively.

But, Read and Downie are perfect compliments to Couturier in a shut down role.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Getting rid of Kevin McCarthy & bringing John Paddock back to work with the defense has been a pretty underrated move.

Agree completely. I remember Paddock doing really well when he was with Ottawa, what happened up there?

Awesome performance by everyone tonight. If couturier can develop his offensive game properly - he'll be our MVP for sure, in my opinion. I think it's only a matter of time. You can see his vision all over the ice. Made a few great passing plays tonight - one in the neutral zone early in the game sticks out to me, and he's obviously got a great shot - he just needs to get it off more.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
I don't know who's underrating Read's defense; most analysts speak highly of him and anyone who has actually watched the Flyers knows he's a good two-way forward. If anything, most think he's overrated offensively.

But, Read and Downie are perfect compliments to Couturier in a shut down role.

I don't know if we're watching/reading different things or what but it's been a long time since I've heard anyone talk about Read's defensive ability.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
i'm really liking our 3rd line. downie seems to be a good fit.

after thinking about the game some, I think berube did a really good job tonight. I think it has to do with the penguins not having much depth cause they have too much money tied into 4-5 players. the drop off between the 2nd and 3rd line is huge and berube pretty much got a lot of the match up he wanted. pitt couldn't keep double shifting malking and crosby and had to send out his fourth line guys on Giroux line even though they have last change.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Brayden now leads the team in points with 12 in 18 games. Not bad for a guy averaging less then 16 minutes a game. That's 8th among forwards (second to last of our top 9).

He should probably be traded though cause he probably won't ever amount to anything. You know, cause he's 22, inconsistent and hasn't shown anything...

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Brayden now leads the team in points with 12 in 18 games. Not bad for a guy averaging less then 16 minutes a game. That's 8th among forwards (second to last of our top 9).

He should probably be traded though cause he probably won't ever amount to anything. You know, cause he's 22, inconsistent and hasn't shown anything...

Well, that's the good thing about us turning it around... no rush trades that we will later regret.

At least I hope not.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
So, I was out drinking so I missed the GDT, but I'd like to give some props to Simmer for his shift and play in the corner that led to the first Schenn goal. Wayne's had a somewhat disappointing year so far, but his work along the boards there was exemplary and here's to hoping that it's a precursor of things to come.

Okay, Imma go get some sleep now, and hopefully no hangover.

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
I don't even care for the Olympics or international competition, but the ego and/or entitlement of some Canadian fans annoys me.

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! 2010 BABY!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Back to real life. Early ice time with the guys from work tonight, so I couldn't catch the game after the first period. The guys looked solid. Advance stats blow my mind as it is, so a big up to all you guys that can figure it out. However, that Fenwick stat of Read, Downie and Coots blew my mind, and really showed how effective they were against Crosby's line.

Really glad this team has turned it around and started playing as well as they look on paper!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Read's defense is underrated, and if he's with Couturier more with his shot maybe Couturier can get going more offensively.

They showed offensively chemistry from the start this year...I think the biggest factor is the removal of Talbot from the line. It was basically Couturier and Read dragging an offensive anchor.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I'm just not seeing it with Brayden, likely won't amount to anything but a third line grinder. We should just cut bait now while he still has value. :sarcasm:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ah, I see... Well, I'm glad they did. :sarcasm:

It was back in 08 so it wasn't recent. He's been with the Flyers since then in a few different roles.

It was also weird that they fired him just before the playoffs started (which Ottawa made & got swept in the first round with Bryan Murray as the HC).

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Great to see them hold on to this one in the third. Emery was great; I was shocked he stopped Crosby on those breakaways.

How much does Malkin hate Couturier? I'm thinking Malkin should have anger management counseling.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I'm just not seeing it with Brayden, likely won't amount to anything but a third line grinder. We should just cut bait now while he still has value. :sarcasm:
Can you really name anything he does well though? Both his goals tonight were largely the work of other players efforts, although his shot on goal one had good placement.

I'm not wanting him gone, but with Laughton waiting in the wings, and Couturier who I think will be better due to his size, Brayden might make a great trade chip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->