Weber

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
And Weber has been "not ready" for 5 years now. How is that even better?

IMO Weber has played with more composure than Beaulieu. Kaberle too, but I understand why the Habs want to protect him from injury. Not that Beaulieu hasn't impressed in spurts, I just think Weber is more reliable at this point.

Habtchum*

Why would he stay in Switzerland? He can make more money in the NHL. If the Habs were to trade him to a team needing skill and PP help that may be the best situation.

How come they were unable to trade him at deadline when we were needing a defensive, big, gritty d-man ? or even a bottom line big, hard working winger ?

How can the other teams can judge him if he never plays ?

wally weir

Jun 2, 2009
At this point I do think that Weber is more reliable than Beaulieu. Beaulieu has looked lost defensively in the last two games. That being said Beaulieu will be much better in the future.

In hindsight I would have done Ryan O'Byrne for Weber at the trade deadline.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
At this point I do think that Weber is more reliable than Beaulieu. Beaulieu has looked lost defensively in the last two games. That being said Beaulieu will be much better in the future.

In hindsight I would have done Ryan O'Byrne for Weber at the trade deadline.

Don't worry, in round 1 versus TO, I guarantee you that O'Byrne loses at least one game single-handedly for them.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
How come they were unable to trade him at deadline when we were needing a defensive, big, gritty d-man ? or even a bottom line big, hard working winger ?

Weber was injured. You can't trade injured players. We would have unloaded Moen for a 2nd last season if he didn't have a concussion.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Weber as to be the guy with the worst confidence ever.

He always struggle to keep thepuck at the blue line and once he does, his game is ****ed cuz he's only thinking about not making mistakes.

I don't understand what he could bring better than Beaulieu at this point..

Tinordi is the best choice as 7th D once Diaz is back.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
IMO Weber has played with more composure than Beaulieu. Kaberle too, but I understand why the Habs want to protect him from injury. Not that Beaulieu hasn't impressed in spurts, I just think Weber is more reliable at this point.

Beaulieu is the most talented of the group of #4-8 d-men but he is also the youngest and "rawest". I think he needs most of next year AHL too, playing big minutes and improving defensively.

They didn't try and trade him. MB said he wanted a lot of depth on defense, plus he was hurt at the time which would have made it harder.

Teams have seen him in junior, AHL plus 111 NHL games so if a team is interested they have a pretty good idea of who/what he is.

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Hopefully Weber gets a real shot, he more than earned it. Despite constantly being treated like crap by the organisation, he always stayed professional and never complained. One thing for sure, he deserves to play over Beaulieu, there is no doubt about that.

Beaulieu proved in that game against Philly that he was not ready yet. I gotta be honest and point out that it looks like he did not develop well this year in Hamilton. I don't see any real improvement in his defensive play, his biggest weakness. Not only did he not improve much, but he also seems to have lost some confidence/edge in his play. Maybe being part of a losing culture in Hamilton did not help, but he looks like a timid boy playing in a men's playground out there.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I doubt they call him up until Hamilton is done. He's better off playing there than here in the press box.

Hamilton has three games left back to back to back this weekend. They'll be done before Diaz is in the lineup.

Habtchum*

I don't get why Kaberle isn't playing. He's not the player he used to be, but he's still clearly better than Beaulieu, Tinordi, Drewiske and Weber.

Because of the famous amnesty buyout. They don't want him to get injured seriously.

Too bad. He would had been helpful.

Halifaxhab*

I don't get why Kaberle isn't playing. He's not the player he used to be, but he's still clearly better than Beaulieu, Tinordi, Drewiske and Weber.

Next year's cap becomes nearly impossible to keep the team together. With Kaberle.

Weber, on the other hand, makes a good choice for 3rd pairing as a RH shot, and does well on the 2nd wave PP. And IMHO he is better defensively than Kaberle (I rarely tore any hair out last year when he was on the ice compared to Kabs).

This is his chance to prove he is worth an NHL Job. Weather it be in MTL or not, we should see a highly motivated Weber. Besides, after all the crap he's dealt with (injuries, healthy scratches) while being a real team guy, he deserves a couple games.

Habtchum*

Hopefully Weber gets a real shot, he more than earned it. Despite constantly being treated like crap by the organisation, he always stayed professional and never complained. One thing for sure, he deserves to play over Beaulieu, there is no doubt about that.

Beaulieu proved in that game against Philly that he was not ready yet. I gotta be honest and point out that it looks like he did not develop well this year in Hamilton. I don't see any real improvement in his defensive play, his biggest weakness. Not only did he not improve much, but he also seems to have lost some confidence/edge in his play. Maybe being part of a losing culture in Hamilton did not help, but he looks like a timid boy playing in a men's playground out there.

Beaulieu looked good against teams that don't hit much and have weaker forecheck.

Another full season in Hamilton is required.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Am I the only one who remembers Weber having a physical side to his game? He laid on some almost Emelin-like checks last season that impressed me.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Am I the only one who remembers Weber having a physical side to his game? He laid on some almost Emelin-like checks last season that impressed me.

I do remember 2-3 hits like that... I was like: wow, was that really Weber?

Personally, I think he'll be good.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I appreciate the young callups.
I get Kaberle.

Weber's fall from grace is a mystery.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I thought Weber had a very solid game last night. Put his passes on the tape and did not get beat 1on 1. Played decent minutes, 16:49 on 23 shifts and got an assist.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Guess he played good enough to earn some trust for tonight since Beaulieu was sent down.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

They have to buy him out so we are not f%$#ed cap-wise. Can't afford to have him get hurt and on the cap next year.

When Weber plays simple like last night he is as good or better than what Kaberle would give us in a similar role.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
He actually looked decent. Might have earned himself a serious chance finally.

I agree, when he keeps it simple he's successful. As soon as he tries to do too much he's a disaster though.

Lionel Mandrake

Weber looked pretty good on the PP tonight and not too bad defensively. I know Diaz and him are similar but at this point I think I'd prefer him over Drewiski, who's getting worse every game that goes by.

That would give us two potent PP waves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad