Wearing Jerseys Pick-Up

Geo73

Jun 17, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland.
I don't understand all this nonsense about what jersey you wear. Sure if you're wearing 66 or 99 and trying to act like it you'll hear about it from the other fellas, but other than that it's just a top to cover your gear. Who cares whether its a Team Canada, a Redwings game-worn sweater or a plain white one? Some people need to get over it.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Not a fan of people showing up wearing a custom NHL jersey. Most of the time All it does is tell everyone on the ice you are a bender who is trying to get some glory out stick and puck. Most of the time I am either wearing my practice jersey from HS or college. Only custom jerseys I find acceptable are from the euro teams because they are usually unique and IMO don't give off the same vibe as the NHL jersey

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
There's a guy who skates at the pickup skate I go to every now and then who wears a red Washington Capitals jersey. Not a big deal right? The guy also wears CCM skates, a Bauer red helmet with a mirrored visor and yellow skate laces.. The kicker, he's not very good.

Have I ever said anything to him? No. To each his own but the guy is trying a bit too hard.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
In my opinion, wear whatever the hell you want. Wanna wear Gretzky? Fine with me your loss when it gets torn or something. I wear a dark blue Rangers practice jersey when I go to open hockey/pick up games. It's my favorite kind to wear to those. I don't borrow or share my jerseys or equipment (Since I play goalie) and usually on the "home" team (Dark jerseys).

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've seen two guys like that. One had the mirrored visor, Russian Ovi jersey, all that stuff, wasn't very good, kind of an idiot.

Second guy had the full Caps kit (home and away jerseys) with all Bauer gear. Thought "here we go" but kid was smoking a lot of us old guys. Can't say crap about that.

Also saw a guy with a full Pens kit on which I thought was weird...until he was blowing by the high school and college players. He would cross the rink in about five strides and had the hardest shot I've ever seen (with a Sherwood 9950 no less). Turns out he was a former ECHL/AHL player. Yeah.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
Never seen it. Everyone brings a dark and white. Maybe 1 of 10 times a guy needs to borrow a jersey. I've probably played 100 pick up games.

dude you're in the state of hockey, even the benders have a somewhat decent level of hockey knowledge

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Wear whatever you want, but no gray. People will judge you by how you play, not what you wear, especially if you go to the same pickup session a few times and get to know people. Personally I'd avoid the Gretzky jersey, but I also wouldn't treat anyone wearing one any differently.

Also, I live in the D.C. area and there are a few guys who wear Caps stuff at pickup. No one cares.

I Am Score*

Wear whatever you want, but no gray. People will judge you by how you play, not what you wear, especially if you go to the same pickup session a few times and get to know people. Personally I'd avoid the Gretzky jersey, but I also wouldn't treat anyone wearing one any differently.

Also, I live in the D.C. area and there are a few guys who wear Caps stuff at pickup. No one cares.

That's awesome! Mind asking where you live? I'm 30 minutes outside of Leesburg in Northern Virginia. About an hour from DC.

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
I live right outside Chicago, so people wear Hawks stuff a lot and no one really says anything. I did see a guy in full Sharks gear though :0

I like the look of yellow laces, but I don't want to get crap from people, so I have black or gray.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Never seen it. Everyone brings a dark and white. Maybe 1 of 10 times a guy needs to borrow a jersey. I've probably played 100 pick up games.

No offense but 100 pick up games is not a lot. There have definitely been single years where I've played 80-100. If you don't see it where you play, that's a good thing for you guys, but 100 pickup games, lifetime, isn't exactly a huge sample size. Since high school, over the last 12 years or so I must have played 750 at seven or so rinks. The 'what to do with the in between colors' problem is a common problem.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
No offense but 100 pick up games is not a lot. There have definitely been single years where I've played 80-100. If you don't see it where you play, that's a good thing for you guys, but 100 pickup games, lifetime, isn't exactly a huge sample size. Since high school, over the last 12 years or so I must have played 750 at seven or so rinks. The 'what to do with the in between colors' problem is a common problem.

agree with all of this, especially the in between colors. any dark color is cool doesn't have to be black. navy blue, dark green, etc. the light but not white colors suck for pickup.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Played many, many of years of pickup with a handful of groups.
Have worn and others have worn replica NHL and minor league jerseys, beer league jerseys and practice jerseys.

No problems from anyone on any of them except when I had the yellow 'V' Canucks jersey. Some people ***** at some one wearing a grey jersey also. I personally have no problem with either; should be white vs non-white, but I avoid wearing yellow and grey to avoiding any *****ing on that account.

Almost everyone brings a dark jersey and a white jersey.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Like some folks said, no tweener colours.

The worst are those half white half dark ones.

Either wear a predominantly light or dark coloured jersey, or wear nothing at all (which I've seen people do, jerseys vs skins on ice)

TUCKER 06

May 22, 2012
My bit of advice:

Don't wear a nice jersey to pick-up if you want to keep it nice. (seems pretty obvious, I know)
There has now been a couple of times that I've gone to hang my jersey up after a game and found someone else's lung butter on my sleeve from leaning on the boards on the bench. Disgusting. Also, the velcro on my shoulder pads tends to rip away at the fabric of my pick-up jerseys.

I have a couple MTL jerseys that I'd love to wear at pick-up, but they will have to wait till I play on the pond or backyard rink.

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
Lol I haven't heard anyone get chirped for the gear they choose to wear. Now, that being said I think I myself may possibly get chirped but whatever. I have oranges laces on my skates and I wear a visor (clear) as well. Nothing extremely flashy but I can understand if someone were to try and single another skater out...it may be me.

Personally I think your on-ice skill/antics determine if you get chirped or not, especially in pick-up skate.

I have also dealt with the yellow and teal jersey problems and it drove me insane. Gray is the ultimate worst color to wear in my opinion. Takes a good 10 minutes of playing to get used to seeing what color jerseys are on your team.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Lol I haven't heard anyone get chirped for the gear they choose to wear. Now, that being said I think I myself may possibly get chirped but whatever. I have oranges laces on my skates and I wear a visor (clear) as well. Nothing extremely flashy but I can understand if someone were to try and single another skater out...it may be me.

Personally I think your on-ice skill/antics determine if you get chirped or not, especially in pick-up skate.

I have also dealt with the yellow and teal jersey problems and it drove me insane. Gray is the ultimate worst color to wear in my opinion. Takes a good 10 minutes of playing to get used to seeing what color jerseys are on your team.

Never saw the issue with laces color.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
I was invited by a friend, who I had never played with before, to his private pick up over the summer. I always just brought plain white and black,then one week I couldn't find my white so I brought my jersey my men's league team. Its mostly white(older Ottawa Senators design) which wasn't the problem, but he and a few guys were giving my **** because I had my name on the back. Now, I didn't see what the big deal was. In my men's league, I'd say half the teams have names on the back and half don't. Is having your name a no-no?

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I was invited by a friend, who I had never played with before, to his private pick up over the summer. I always just brought plain white and black,then one week I couldn't find my white so I brought my jersey my men's league team. Its mostly white(older Ottawa Senators design) which wasn't the problem, but he and a few guys were giving my **** because I had my name on the back. Now, I didn't see what the big deal was. In my men's league, I'd say half the teams have names on the back and half don't. Is having your name a no-no?

Sure hope not. I wear my named jerseys to my pickups, both light and dark. The thing is, I had to buy them to play in the HNA league and they were pricey and are very good quality. Why should one never wear a jersey again?

As long as it's your name. I wouldn't be one to wear a Crosby or Datsyuk jersey. Then again, a guy in my pickup does wear a Crosby jersey but I've never heard anyone say anything about it.

reecardo

Mar 1, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Been playing pickup two or three times a week at the closest rink to me for most of the year. Weeks like this one when the college kids are home there are always a half dozen kids in yellow, light green, and light blue. Don't mind the yellow as they go on white or color to even things out. The other light colors are annoying.

Even when the kids are not around, red is not unusual, ends up on color. There are a couple of guys who wear Wings jerseys, but this is MI after all. There is one regular who wears a light blue Russian Ovi jersey, but there really is no need to expand on what type of guy wears something like that.

What is a bender? My practice jerseys were stolen, so my wife got me an old PSC game jersey off Ebay for $10, I use that for white. Both my beer leagues wear black, so there is the color. Does that make me a bender?

Last edited:

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I am a recently reformed grey jersey wearer. Although it is light, I finally picked up a white jersey as I constantly heard the confusion it caused dark during a weekly pickup. I get it and am on the road to recovery.

I'll also throw red into that category. And anything that at a quick glance look like a blend of light and dark like white jerseys with dark shoulders and arm stripes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad