Post-Game Talk (GBU): We weren't ready to play

Member 308457

Many teams have defining characteristics they've been known for throughout the years. Montreal: crashing the net. NY Rangers: good passing plays. Bruins: big and bad. Detroit: skill. Chicago: skill and rough stuff.

IMO the Sabres' defining characteristic has been skilled but cowardly players. The exception was when they had a GM (Muckler) who understood what the fans wanted, blood and guts and a blue collar work ethic. Botterill with his privileged background as the pampered and well-fed son of a famous sports psychologist, will never understand what the Sabres fans crave.

This team deserves a yellow streak instead of numbers on the back of their uniform.

Last edited by a moderator:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Many teams have defining characteristics they've been known for throughout the years. Montreal: crashing the net. NY Rangers: good passing plays. Bruins: big and bad. Detroit: skill. Chicago: skill and rough stuff.

IMO the Sabres' defining characteristic has been skilled but cowardly players. The exception was when they had a GM (Muckler) who understood what the fans wanted, blood and guts and a blue collar work ethic. Botterill with his privileged background as the pampered and well-fed son of a famous sports psychologist, will never understand what the Sabres fans crave.

Blue Collar, or what we know in today’s game, the secret to success for the top teams. It’s not a style, it’s a level of play. Teams that are successful are willing to take a hit to make a play, teams are prepared each game to do what is necessary to win a battle, to win a chase to the puck. It’s an effort level.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
When you give team chance after chance from the slot, your goalie is going to let a few in. After watching Lehner this year and comparing him to last year, I think it was the Sabres backtrack defense and soft coverage from 5 feet in front of the net that caused his depressive mood and Ullmark/Hutton will follow suit if the team can't fix it.

However, Toronto allowed chance after chance as well from the slot last night. Their goalie made the big saves. Skinner had 4 or 5 great chances, couldn't beat the goalie

Reactions: Icicle

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

This team deserves a yellow streak instead of numbers on the back of their uniform.

This is ....... something

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
D0s4fPFUcAEIyb8.png

Thread image.
The face of someone who doesn't do well against a team with last change.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I didn’t watch this game. This was a schedule lost. We’ve always lost the bus trip on a back to back in Toronto. Throw in the fact that Toronto is really good and we’re below mediocre and this is the result you get.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sending him to ROC would require Botts and Phil to admit a season-long mistake, and throwing away a year of development for the guy who may be the jewel of the ROR return - I mean, think about that for a second.
They made a partial admission of the need for him to be down there with him getting waived/recalled on deadline day. That surprised me to be honest. But I hope they realize the futility of keeping him here in the near term and send him down. Not just for his personal development but to allow him time to gel with the Amerks before the playoffs.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Tiny sample size but with scandella montour was 7 CF, 16 CA. Without Scandella he was 9 CF, 3 CA lol

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Blue Collar, or what we know in today’s game, the secret to success for the top teams. It’s not a style, it’s a level of play. Teams that are successful are willing to take a hit to make a play, teams are prepared each game to do what is necessary to win a battle, to win a chase to the puck. It’s an effort level.
Great post. That is why Ted Nolan was able to take a team of non superstar, blue collar players to the playoffs in the 90’s with help from a great goaltender (yes he was a superstar) This was the beginning of a successful run which led to being in the Stanley Cup. I am pretty sure the advertising slogan for the Sabres back then was “The Hardest Working Team in Hockey”.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Tiny sample size but with scandella montour was 7 CF, 16 CA. Without Scandella he was 9 CF, 3 CA lol

They had a hinge play in the third where the mic clearly picked up Montour call for Scandella to pass him the puck off the wall. Marco bounced a pass behind the goalie to Montour. Good.

And then clearly Montour was getting forechecked immediately, so he reverses the pass back to Scandella’s side.

Except in only a couple seconds Scandella has already managed to wander towards the net, but not really, and too far away from the wall to collect the pass. Instead the puck went up the wall for a tough play for the winger with a Leaf right on top of them.

A small thing that most fans won’t notice or might even blame Montour for. But wholly shit. That is some basic professional, heck high school level hockey. Scandella either has a concussion that ruined his brain or he is intentionally playing poorly this season.

I was willing to be patient for the first twenty games or so, but it’s a joke that Pilut sits while Scandella or Hunwick play.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
"We weren't ready to play" is a load of BS. The real problem is we weren't ready to watch. Some of you were up and down running to the fridge getting drinks and snacks, checking the scores of other games, planning the rest of your weekend and running to the bathroom etc.. How do you expect the team to stay focused when you're doing everything possible to distract them?

Good one! Made me snort my breakfast cereal and milk thru my nose!!! Lol!

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

Your avatar certainly matches your sentiment. Scares me to even answer you! LoL!

Reactions: Smile Ivan

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Great post. That is why Ted Nolan was able to take a team of non superstar, blue collar players to the playoffs in the 90’s with help from a great goaltender (yes he was a superstar) This was the beginning of a successful run which led to being in the Stanley Cup. I am pretty sure the advertising slogan for the Sabres back then was “The Hardest Working Team in Hockey”.

Current sub heading to that slogan would be "Not our Sabres".

Reactions: MagnumForce2

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Props to those of you still watching. I checked out a while ago. Mad respect!
I tuned out when they got the EN and skipped the last few minutes...
I think its more painful to stay for the postgame interviews to watch that wannabe headcoach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad