Post-Game Talk: We talking bout playoffs

EDDIE20*

Was at the game on Sat. What an atmosphere! Reminded me of the good ol days to see complete strangers wearing blue & white hugging and high-fiving each other, cheering Go Leafs Go and whooping it up. Sens Army was not impressed, to say the least, and clinching couldn't have come against a sweeter opponent.

Congrats to the Leafs and also to Leaf Nation for representing loudly yet again in the nation's capital. There's a reason the Leafs play so well in Ottawa ;)

Sens Army is a joke. There is a Leaf fan presence in their arena regardless of whether the Leafs are in town or not.

I saw more blue and white downtown on Saturday afternoon than anything else. That says it all.

ThirdRowGreens

Nov 18, 2011
Ottawa
Sens Army is a joke. There is a Leaf fan presence in their arena regardless of whether the Leafs are in town or not.

I saw more blue and white downtown on Saturday afternoon than anything else. That says it all.

Yeah, I wore my Leafs jersey around town all day on Saturday and hardly saw any Sens colours around at all.

There was a fair number of Sens fans at the game but they were completely drowned out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Correct which is why it's much tougher in a shorten season.

Which means that better teams might miss the playoffs and be on the outside looking in, resulting in more inaccurate results in a shorter season.

That is why some fan bases on the outside would complain, particularly when it came to the Leafs who have not been able to make the playoffs in a full season, claiming a shortened season the reason for our spot.

The NHL places a " * " beside the results of a shortened season to designate it as being not as accurate as a full one.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Which means that better teams might miss the playoffs and be on the outside looking in, resulting in more inaccurate results in a shorter season.

That is why some fan bases on the outside would complain, particularly when it came to the Leafs who have not been able to make the playoffs in a full season, claiming a shortened season the reason for our spot.

Who are the better Teams that are missing and being replaced by the undeserving Leafs?

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
I like beating OTT, but I am dying for a Habs playoff series so that can become the rivalry to beat once more. I was alive, but still pooping my pants (gimme a break, I hadn't had a birthday yet), the last time there was a Habs/Leafs playoff series and re-kindling the fire between those two clubs would be a perfect companion to ending the Leafs complete playoff drought.

Syn3rgetic

Boats the Burn
Apr 10, 2010
Markham
I want to know this as well.

Without smiting the Leafs, I was a a big Flyers fan when they went to the finals against Chicago. Although a lot of that team is now gone, I can't help but wonder if time could've salvaged their season this year. We're still a better team regardless but Giroux isn't talent you can ignore on any team. Maybe they could've taken one of the NY team's berth.

Gloob

Nov 14, 2009
Had to post in this thread. Feels good man, If we lose the first game 10-0 I'll still be happy to see post season white and blue

EDDIE20*

Without smiting the Leafs, I was a a big Flyers fan when they went to the finals against Chicago. Although a lot of that team is now gone, I can't help but wonder if time could've salvaged their season this year. We're still a better team regardless but Giroux isn't talent you can ignore on any team. Maybe they could've taken one of the NY team's berth.

I hear ya on that one but I don't have any sympathy for the teams who don't make it in this year. Fact remains the teams who make the playoffs deserve to make the playoffs.

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
Was at the game on Sat. What an atmosphere! Reminded me of the good ol days to see complete strangers wearing blue & white hugging and high-fiving each other, cheering Go Leafs Go and whooping it up. Sens Army was not impressed, to say the least, and clinching couldn't have come against a sweeter opponent.

Congrats to the Leafs and also to Leaf Nation for representing loudly yet again in the nation's capital. There's a reason the Leafs play so well in Ottawa ;)

One of these days the horn is gonna go off by accident when the Leafs score at SBP. It happened against Buffalo in 2004, the horn guy press the button for a half second before realizing it wasn't the home team. :laugh:

EDDIE20*

One of these days the horn is gonna go off by accident when the Leafs score at SBP. It happened against Buffalo in 2004, the horn guy press the button for a half second before realizing it wasn't the home team. :laugh:

Nice!:laugh:

Mind you, when it does happen at SBP, that poor guy will be out of a job before the end of the game. Melnyk certainly wouldn't tolerate that.:naughty:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

The NHL places a " * " beside the results of a shortened season to designate it as being not as accurate as a full one.

Who's the better team this year that is missing the playoffs because of a shortened season? Philly? Their D is weak and their goaltending is suspect. Giroux is having a meh year for a superstar player. Jersey? Not the same team with an aging Marty in net, Parise bolted and Kovalchuk got injured but every team has injuries, heck we were missing Reimer for a while and Lupul for more than half the season.

Nice!:laugh:

Mind you, when it does happen at SBP, that poor guy will be out of a job before the end of the game. Melnyk certainly wouldn't tolerate that.:naughty:

Maybe he'll call in his forensic investigators to see if the Leafs tampered with the goal button guy on a neurological level.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

"Not as accurate". Never heard that one before, where did you read that?

EDDIE20*

Who's the better team this year that is missing the playoffs because of a shortened season? Philly? Their D is weak and their goaltending is suspect. Giroux is having a meh year for a superstar player. Jersey? Not the same team with an aging Marty in net, Parise bolted and Kovalchuk got injured but every team has injuries, heck we were missing Reimer for a while and Lupul for more than half the season.

Maybe he'll call in his forensic investigators to see if the Leafs tampered with the goal button guy on a neurological level.

I also want to know which team deserves our spot.

As for the goal horn guy, he might be a Leaf fan for all we know. It's not like there's none in the building when we play in Ottawa.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Well Toronto, NYI, Montreal and Columbus are all in a playoff spot after finishing in the bottom 5 of the NHL overall last year.

All these teams are not "better" necessarily then team like Philly, NJ or Detroit for example, who are perrenial Cup contenders year after year in a 82 game season.

A 48 game season is a sprint and so some of these teams are simply currently involved in the playoffs due to a shortened season and being the "fastest" teams to pass > 50 points, and having the season cut short preventing others now from passing them.

We all know its harder to sustain success over a longer period than it is to gain success over a shorter one. (larger the sample\data set ie more games played the more accurate the true results become).

Now this is not to take anything away from our Leafs, who earned their spot on merit of the rules as set out by this lockout shortened season.

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
48 is just an arbitrary number. Nobody can say the leafs can't win when the games matter. That was the standard argument against them when they made late season runs in years past.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Well Toronto, NYI, Montreal and Columbus are all in a playoff spot after finishing in the bottom 5 of the NHL overall last year.

All these teams are not "better" necessarily then team like Philly, NJ or Detroit for example, who are perrenial Cup contenders year after year in a 82 game season.

A 48 game season is a sprint and so some of these teams are simply currently involved in the playoffs due to a shortened season and being the "fastest" teams to pass > 50 points, and having the season cut short preventing others now from passing them.

We all know its harder to sustain success over a longer period than it is to gain success over a shorter one. (larger the sample\data set ie more games played the more accurate the true results become).

Now this is not to take anything away from our Leafs, who earned their spot on merit of the rules as set out by this lockout shortened season.

Why do you keep making contrarian points, only to state in the end that the Leafs earned their spot?

All you're really doing is wasting your own time. I feel like you almost want to discredit the team, but then again you and ULF have a favourite pastime of playing Devil's Advocate, though ULF is more blatant since he leaves out the extra poetic stuff.

At the end of the day, everyone plays 48 games. You're completely disregarding the mental aspect; in a regular 82 game season, a lot of teams would still have the mentality that they have "time to figure it out" by game 40 and wouldn't necessarily play to their top abilities game in and game out. In a 48 game season, everyone knows there's only 48 games of opportunity, therefore the teams that are truly the best make sure they never take their foot off the pedal and drive through these 48 games.

The teams that you listed have serious flaws. Philly has one of the worst defensive corps in the league, as well as terrible goaltending. A skilled offense is useless if both D AND goaltending are poor, you need at least one of those to be good.

NJ has no scoring depth, Kovalchuk is out with injury and without Parise they're pretty bare. All they have is an aging Elias. Zajac is underperforming without Parise, Clarkson had a career year where his shooting % was an anomaly, and Henrique came off a successful rookie season, heading into a sophomore season with lofty expectations, no surprise he's slumped. Other than that they just have regular depth players.

Their D is also average and an aging Brodeur has had the worst season of his career.

Detroit has a decent roster, but losing Lidstrom left a huge void in terms of leadership and stability, and they no longer have an anchor on their back end. Nik Kronwall is a huge downgrade as a #1 d-man from Lidstrom, they don't have a #1 guy and it's hurting them badly. Losing both Lidstrom and Rafalski in 2 years has gutted the defense. Detroit is also a pretty soft team. They're weak on the wings, with only Filp and Franzen as true top six guys, though Franzen is getting up there in age too. They do have Nyquist who should be good soon, and Brunner who has been providing serviceable offense. Jimmy Howard is a bit inconsistent but he's been good. From what I've gathered from Red Wing fans is that Babcock has been making a lot of questionable decisions this year and a lot of fans are angry with him over that.

The only team really underachieving is Detroit I would say, while Philly and NJ are both playing with serious holes in their line-up, and as expected they're struggling.

Penalty Kill Icing*

This makes no sense. Does NHL really put a * for shortened season? Every team was aware that this would be a 48 game season. Even slow starters like Canucks or Bruins adapted their game to a 48 game schedule. Heck, even Washington had enough time to recover from their early slump. Maybe you could make a case for team like Columbus, but Leafs haven't made it narrowly. Leafs were the 4th team in the conference to clinch a playoff spot.

So better teams made the playoffs and worse teams didn't. Sample size is sufficiently large enough and no team on the outside looked like they had a chance of replacing Leafs from top-8.

And tell me how many teams that are on outside after 48 games make the playoffs, and of those, how many actually make impact in the playoffs? It is because they simply aren't good enough.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Great video.. I liked the slogan:
'Its time to unite a city'. :yo:

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
Serious question: Does anyone give the Florida Panthers more respect than the Leafs just because they made the playoffs in an 82 game season? Every year we see teams swap positions in the standings and I personally think 2012 was more of an anomaly than 2013. You got the aforementioned Florida Panthers winning their division, 8th place Kings winning the stanley cup, 6th place Devils coming out of the east etc. How many analysts picked the blues to run away with their division after firing the coach 10 games into the season and missing the playoffs the year before that? Montreal finished last in the east, surely nobody here believed they were "Edmonton bad" after making the playoffs the year before.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: