Post-Game Talk: We talking bout playoffs

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
WOOOO!!! Still jacked up from last night!!! We finally made it after a long 9 years!!!! WE'RE BACK BABY!!!

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Already done.

paraderoutely9.jpg

Excuse me but you missed the other 6 continents.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
They also had a miss on a wide open net and a couple shots off the post if I recall. They generated more chances than we did and that was without Kovalchuk. A high end offensive player like him would have feasted on us with all those long sequences of offensive zone-time and powerplays. Ottawa was missing their two best offensive players and out-chanced us. What don't you get about this? It's a worrying trend going into the playoffs, it's foolish to discount the games in which we got totally dominated both in chances and on the scoreboard (Caps, Isles) and makes excuses for ones where we got dominated but managed to win anyway. These are teams we'll probably have to beat to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Just imagine how the rest of the conference who lost to the "gimped" Sens on a regular basis must feel. We missed one of our PPG wingers for 3/4 of the season, yet you don't see many people whining about it. Injuries are part of the game, and you have to play the hand you're dealt.

I also challenge you to gather more than 6 legit scoring chances (pretty sure we had more than 6, but w/e) out of those 50 shots on net that the Sens had to back up your "Sens outchanced us" nonsense.

A lot of people seem to draw conclusions whether the Leafs got dominated or not solely based on the SoG ratios, which is just Pejorative Slured. Yes, we got outchances against the red hot Caps and the Isles (mostly because we didn't generate enough offense, not because our defense was bad), but that happens when the team is going through a mini-slump.

Last edited:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Just imagine how the rest of the conference who lost to the "gimped" Sens on a regular basis must feel. We missed one of our PPG wingers for 3/4 of the season, yet you don't see many people whining about it. Injuries are part of the game, and you have to play the hand you're dealt.

I also challenge you to gather more than 6 legit scoring chances (pretty sure we had more than 6, but w/e) out of those 50 shots on net that the Sens had to back up your "Sens outchanced us" nonsense.

A lot of people seem to draw conclusions whether the Leafs got dominated or not solely based on the SoG ratios, which is just Pejorative Slured. Yes, we got outchances against the red hot Caps and the Isles (mostly because we didn't generate enough offense, not because our defense was bad), but that happens when the team is going through a mini-slump.

You'll forgive me if I don't pour over highlights from a game to make a point to someone who thinks our defense in the isles game was "not that bad." :facepalm:

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
Not a Canucks lover eh?:laugh:

Just as much as the other 28 teams in the league. ;). My hearts only big enough for one team. :D.

I'm loving how our team is maturing into a contender. While our prospects are being allowed to develop in their own time.

This team, if kept on the same path will be extremely dangerous for many years.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
You'll forgive me if I don't pour over highlights from a game to make a point to someone who thinks our defense in the isles game was "not that bad." :facepalm:

So essentially you're talking out of your @$$. Fair enough, but forgive me for not taking such claims seriously.

I think Carlyle deserves huge props seeing how it only took half a season for some people to forget what bad defense looks like. A game riddled with odd man rushes, breakaways, and 3rd/4th opportunities from prime scoring areas. So yes, I don't think our defensive game was that bad against the Isles.

The Phaneuf-Gardiner pairing was simply not able to contain the Tavares line, mostly because of Gardiner. If that game has shown us anything, it's how much Gardiner has to improve defensively to become a first pairing defensemen, not how awful our team defense was.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Yes, I'm sure Kessel felt that way while scraping himself off the boards after the Neil hit. Or how about Reimer as he was scrambling out of his net after getting bowled over. They definitely looked a few inches taller to me. :sarcasm:

At crucial times of the game that these instances occuurred it would have been pretty stupid to send Orr out to pound Neil and get a penalty.You didn't see Neil pulling that crap early in the game when Carlyle wouldn't think twice about letting Orr pound him.Being ahead by one goal on the verge of your first playoff birth in 9 years is a good excuse to take a few lumps for the team.

If the Senaturds see the Leafs in the playoffs there will be pay back.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
People should come to Toronto to see the cup once we win it. Don't share that **** with anyone! Rules: you can bring and do anything you want with the cup as long as it doesn't leave the GTA.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
So Bourke built a 5th place team from garbage in 4 1/2 years, not bad. And to think,

Reilly
Colborne
Biggs
Percy
Finn
Ashton

All coming up. Not bad for a cement head.

The Wall

Mar 28, 2013
I'm the happiest man on the planet this weekend.

Honestly, this couldn't have happened in a more fitting way.

We clinched against the team that we last beat in the playoffs, in front of thousands of Leaf fans, on a Saturday night HNIC game, and with Bob Cole doing the play-by-play.

When Cole said "The playoffs are coming to Toronto" it sent chills down my spine.

I love this team. :)

I convince we lost the last two on purpose just to have Cole say it.Bob Cole is to hockey what JR is to wrestling

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
So essentially you're talking out of your @$$. Fair enough, but forgive me for not taking such claims seriously.

I think Carlyle deserves huge props seeing how it only took half a season for some people to forget what bad defense looks like. A game riddled with odd man rushes, breakaways, and 3rd/4th opportunities from prime scoring areas. So yes, I don't think our defensive game was that bad against the Isles.

The Phaneuf-Gardiner pairing was simply not able to contain the Tavares line, mostly because of Gardiner. If that game has shown us anything, it's how much Gardiner has to improve defensively to become a first pairing defensemen, not how awful our team defense was.

Sorry, but our defense was excruciatingly bad against the Isles. I rarely ever say anything against us, I'm a positive guy, but pretty much the entire team was dreadful. I was at the game and it was very difficult to watch.

BarneyStinson

Jun 24, 2012
Markham
How sweet would it be if Boston and MTL lose the rest of there games and T.O wins there next 3 and takes the division? I would be pumped to potentially play ottawa in a 2 vs 7 matchup

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

Not really, I said they out-chanced us and your response was "show me more than 6 scoring chances." Err...no? Here's the various highlights sorted into goals/hits/saves:

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=802&id=241174&lang=en&navid=DL|TOR|home

Knock yourself out. You must not have been watching the game very closely if you think the Leafs actually out-chanced the Sens.

All I see here are a couple lame excuses and misdirection. The defense was that bad. The Islanders are a one line team and that one line scored what, 4 straight goals? Nice defense! Such a refreshing change from previous years. That was a Ron Wilson-worthy game.

You lay most of the blame on Gardiner, and yet it was Phaneuf giving us a clinic on when not to pinch and how to lose 1-on-1 battles. If that game has shown us anything, it's that the entire team is terribly inconsistent defensively. Nobody had a good night in our end, not even McClement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad