Post-Game Talk: We talking bout playoffs

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
How sweet would it be if Boston and MTL lose the rest of there games and T.O wins there next 3 and takes the division? I would be pumped to potentially play ottawa in a 2 vs 7 matchup

Uhhh.... I hope if we do end up in 2nd that Ottawa ends up anywhere but 7th. I don't want another series against Ottawa.

Kirkpatrick

Oct 6, 2011
Ottawa
Ohhhhhh baby! We're back!

Turns out I had a killer celebration night last night anyway, but I just came here to read every glorious post of the thread.

Go Leafs Go!

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
I love how SOME fans of other teams rationalize the Leafs season as "they are lucky it was a short season".

Of course, the other 15 teams that make it were just that good.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I love how SOME fans of other teams rationalize the Leafs season as "they are lucky it was a short season".

True on both accounts.

A shortened season is not the same as a full one of results, however all teams are playing by the same rules, so it is an even playing surface.

We saw last year that Leafs first 1/2 didn't match the last 1/2, however based on the fact of a vastly improved defense and PK the results were not likely to match the past.

EDDIE20*

I hope the fans of those teams realize the same applies if their team happens to win the Cup this year. It's a short season after all.:sarcasm:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Don't you know? The Leafs got to play 60 games while everyone else got only 48 games. No wonder why we're in the playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I hope the fans of those teams realize the same applies if their team happens to win the Cup this year. It's a short season after all.:sarcasm:

I would rationalize that its the fans of teams that are going to miss the playoffs in a shortened season which this concept applies to more.

Believing if their team ie Philly, NJ, etc had more time the results might be different, and thus suggesting Leafs are in only because the season is 48 games.

EDDIE20*

I would rationalize that its the fans of teams that are going to miss the playoffs in a shortened season which this concept applies to more.

Believing if their team ie Philly, NJ, etc had more time the results might be different, and thus suggesting Leafs are in only because the season is 48 games.

Yet those teams couldn't even hack it through 48 games. People just love to grasp at straws when it comes to our team.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

Lol when i was leaving the Leafs/Devils game on April 6th, some Devils fan was complaining about how the shortened season is a good way for the fluke teams like Toronto to make it into the playoffs and why the devils aren't going to make it.

I was like 'lol Devils fans should be the last group of fans to complain about a shortened season'

EDDIE20*

Lol when i was leaving the Leafs/Devils game on April 6th, some Devils fan was complaining about how the shortened season is a good way for the fluke teams like Toronto to make it into the playoffs and why the devils aren't going to make it.

I was like 'lol Devils fans should be the last group of fans to complain about a shortened season'

I wonder what the Devils fan was saying yesterday after being blanked by the Rangers. Was it a fluke for the Rangers too?

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON

LOL too true! they won a cup in a shortened season ffs

EDDIE20*

Ohhhhhh baby! We're back!

Turns out I had a killer celebration night last night anyway, but I just came here to read every glorious post of the thread.

Go Leafs Go!

I went out for a quick beer after the game and didn't see many Sens jerseys at the pub. I guess they all left before I got there.:laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It is much tougher to make it in a shorten season where every game has such added meaning, no question.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
People are such haters. They can call teams like Toronto and Islanders flukes but the truth of the matter is that especially in a shortened season, every game is meaningful and every win is important. To project your insecurity and resentment onto our teams just because your team wasn't able to succeed in the face of pressure and adversity is such a loser mentality. Sure it sucks when your team doesn't make playoffs and we should know because we've dealt with it for the 8 seasons prior to this one but if you wan to look at your team's lack of success and why they didn't make playoffs, you should be looking at your own team's performance rather than concerning yourself with hypothetical situations that would produce more favourable results for your team.

Fanbases need to stop acting like bad teams can never improve and that good teams can never regress. Time to come back to reality where nothing is stationary.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Fanbases need to stop acting like bad teams can never improve and that good teams can never regress. Time to come back to reality where nothing is stationary.

We're also well on our way to the day where all of the parity in the League culminates in there being no such thing as a "bad" team. Virtually every one of the 30 teams in the NHL is infused with some star talent and upcoming high-end prospects, and it's only going to continue on that trend. The fact of the matter is that 14 teams won't make the Playoffs, and being good or bad will very shortly have nothing to do with that.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
i think no matter what people will find was to negatively talk about our team, after-all, we are the leafs, and every fanbase wishes they we're like us.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yet those teams couldn't even hack it through 48 games. People just love to grasp at straws when it comes to our team.

Well as the saying goes "the cream always rises to the top" and the shorter the season the less time there is for that to occur.

Last year for example at the 48 game mark the LA Kings were not in a playoff spot. They then fired their coach, and squeaked into the playoffs in 8th place earning that spot in the last few games of the season. We all know they went on to win the Stanley Cup. Vice versa our Leafs were in a playoff spot last season at the 48 game mark, and we all know of the 2nd half collapse that resulted in our finish over 82 games.

So the shorter the season the more volatile the results. As we all know the smaller a sample set verses a larger one will have more accurate results the larger it is.

That said all teams entered this shortened season knowing it was only 48 games and the same rules and opportunities applied for all.. Leafs earned their position in the playoffs fair and square on their merits. Other fans that are not so fortunate would be envious of the Leafs, because their team couldn't do what our did.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well as the saying goes "the cream always rises to the top" and the shorter the season the less time there is for that to occur.

Correct which is why it's much tougher in a shorten season.

ThirdRowGreens

Nov 18, 2011
Ottawa
Was at the game on Sat. What an atmosphere! Reminded me of the good ol days to see complete strangers wearing blue & white hugging and high-fiving each other, cheering Go Leafs Go and whooping it up. Sens Army was not impressed, to say the least, and clinching couldn't have come against a sweeter opponent.

Congrats to the Leafs and also to Leaf Nation for representing loudly yet again in the nation's capital. There's a reason the Leafs play so well in Ottawa ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad