Post-Game Talk: We talking bout playoffs

leafstilldeath*

As someone who grew up in Ontario, moved to Chicago, and is now back in Ontario for school, I look forward to watching the Leafs in the playoffs.

Lock this person up in TO. He shall not leave Ontario!!!

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Bruins fan coming in peace to congratulate the Maple Leafs on making the playoffs.

As far as I am concerned there can never be too many Original 6 teams in the hunt for the Stanley Cup. Except of course for our mutual hated rivals in Montreal ;)

Again congratulations!!!

Thanks! And start winning please so we can pound the smurfs:handclap:

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Lupul screwed up last night :rant: Reimer would have had a shut out if not for the giveaway.

It was a bad giveaway, but also a very much savable shot. I don't think Reimer's going to lose any sleep over it, the team is padding his stats enough as is.

Meh, other than the two losses against Washington and the Isles, I don't think we've been outchanced at all.

Some people are crediting our success this season entirely to goaltending and luck. I think it's a bunch of BS.

The Leafs have given up fewer quality scoring chances this season on average than any other Leaf team in recent memory. Our defence core had done a good job forcing teams to the perimeter, blocking shots, and clearing rebounds. Our goaltending has been reliable. Our offense has been opportunistic and consistent.

That is why we have clinched a playoff berth, and outsiders that suggest otherwise are just butthurt, plain and simple.

If advanced stats meant anything at all, we would have crashed and burned a long time ago, right? ;)

:handclap:

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
We were badly outchanced by NJ, they just couldn't finish. They also happened to be missing Kovalchuk. Ottawa did outchance us last night quite handily, three of our goals weren't even particularly good opportunities. And that's a team playing without it's two best offensive players. This is actually something to worry about.

LOL, Jersey couldn't generate **** during that game. It was by far the most boring game of the season. They had two legit scoring chances all game long, one off the partial breakaway that resulted in a shoulder save on a wide angle backhanded shot, and the Elias tip in the 3rd, which was more of a positional save than a reactionary one.

Reimer has been reliable for most of the season, and he deserves credit for that, but I think quite a few are carrying this savior crap too far.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Leafs need to win 2 of 3 to hold their 5th seed provided that Ottawa doesn't run the table. Ottawa's got a tough closing schedule so I doubt that happens. 1 against Florida and 1 against TBL/MTL should do it. TBL are not to be taken lightly despite their placing.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I don't know if you have played competitive hockey or not,but you're missing Orr/McClaren's biggest contribution to the team.They make the rest of the team play bigger by having the belief that these two have their backs if the going gets tough.Confidence is a big part of winning and not having to worry about retaliation from your opponent for your actions is a big confidence booster.

Intangables man,intangables.I agree though that during the playoffs one of the two should be sitting.

Yes, I'm sure Kessel felt that way while scraping himself off the boards after the Neil hit. Or how about Reimer as he was scrambling out of his net after getting bowled over. They definitely looked a few inches taller to me. :sarcasm:

DrizzyTO

OVO
Mar 21, 2013
Sanctuary ||
I don't know if you have played competitive hockey or not,but you're missing Orr/McClaren's biggest contribution to the team.They make the rest of the team play bigger by having the belief that these two have their backs if the going gets tough.Confidence is a big part of winning and not having to worry about retaliation from your opponent for your actions is a big confidence booster.

Intangables man,intangables.I agree though that during the playoffs one of the two should be sitting.

This. Just like Domi back in the day, nobody effs with Sundin if it meant fighting Domi.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Leafs need to win 2 of 3 to hold their 5th seed provided that Ottawa doesn't run the table. Ottawa's got a tough closing schedule so I doubt that happens. 1 against Florida and 1 against TBL/MTL should do it. TBL are not to be taken lightly despite their placing.

The MTL game is as close to a must win as you can get if we want to avoid facing the Bruins in the first round (which I believe most do).

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I'm the happiest man on the planet this weekend.

Honestly, this couldn't have happened in a more fitting way.

We clinched against the team that we last beat in the playoffs, in front of thousands of Leaf fans, on a Saturday night HNIC game, and with Bob Cole doing the play-by-play.

When Cole said "The playoffs are coming to Toronto" it sent chills down my spine.

I love this team. :)

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
LOL, Jersey couldn't generate **** during that game. It was by far the most boring game of the season. They had two legit scoring chances all game long, one off the partial breakaway that resulted in a shoulder save on a wide angle backhanded shot, and the Elias tip in the 3rd, which was more of a positional save than a reactionary one.

Reimer has been reliable for most of the season, and he deserves credit for that, but I think quite a few are carrying this savior crap too far.

They also had a miss on a wide open net and a couple shots off the post if I recall. They generated more chances than we did and that was without Kovalchuk. A high end offensive player like him would have feasted on us with all those long sequences of offensive zone-time and powerplays. Ottawa was missing their two best offensive players and out-chanced us. What don't you get about this? It's a worrying trend going into the playoffs, it's foolish to discount the games in which we got totally dominated both in chances and on the scoreboard (Caps, Isles) and makes excuses for ones where we got dominated but managed to win anyway. These are teams we'll probably have to beat to go anywhere in the playoffs.

********. Who played any differently than they always have on the Leafs this year? Seriously. Nobody 'plays bigger.' I dont know if you've played competitive hockey or not, but dressing a couple goons doesn't mean the other team stops hitting.

If you don't understand team "roles" and how that all works, I cannot help you.:shakehead

Yeah? Their role this year seems to have been staged fights with the other team's goon(s), and to otherwise mostly sit on the bench. And we're using up TWO roster spots for this. You really think the teams going deep into the playoffs are gonna be dressing two forwards that can't be trusted with more than a handful of shifts per game? Orr and McLaren will have nobody to fight in the playoffs, and a guy like Fraser is plenty capable of standing up for his teammates if a situation arises.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Just realized that Kessel has 48 points, meaning that he is PPG on the season no matter what.

Not bad Phil. Not bad at all. He has evolved so much as a player the second half of the season.

I thought he was pretty damn bad the first half (or so); wasn't controlling the game at all the way he can. Not only was he not scoring but he was actually pretty invisible.

Totally new player in the latter half of the season. Playing on the boards, he's often the forward backchecking the hardest on his line, and using his skill to strip the puck away.

Lock this guy up for a long, long time. He cares. He's insanely good. And he's buying into the system.

NONIS 2013 #NONY2013

UFancyHuh

May 29, 2008
Lost
Plan the parade!

Already done.

paraderoutely9.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad