Speculation: WE SUCK

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
And yet after we beat Detroit twice in the span of a week down the stretch last year numerous people on this board were shitting on Yzerman and the Detroit rebuild and saying how we were so much further ahead. Because obviously meaningless games in March are a great yardstick.

And now we're 11 points behind Detroit less than 20 games into the season. Dorion's "rebuild" is DOA.

While I don't believe Detroit has enough high end talent to truly translate into being an elite team, it's certainly true their management goes a lot further into establishing a functional team.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yzerman built a better team with zero assets in Detroit. Dorion had Karlsson, Stone, Zibanejad/Duchene and Hoffman. What a failure.
Not an apples to apples comparison. Yzerman didn’t have to tear it down to the studs to get costs as low as legally possible. The big difference though is in philosophy, which is where Yzerman dominates Dorion. Yzerman starts by building his D as a priority and he likes them on the big side.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Doesnt mean anything. The players are set in stone just takes time. Theyre so young. Just wait for it to click. Sure coaches etc jobs can be in question but as a fan im coolin its all gravy baby

Takes time to gel as a team/players new to the league.
I can get behind this thought process :)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Doesnt mean anything. The players are set in stone just takes time. Theyre so young. Just wait for it to click. Sure coaches etc jobs can be in question but as a fan im coolin its all gravy baby

Takes time to gel as a team/players new to the league.

I'm with you, if you pretend we scored on our chances and our goalies made some key saves and the other teams didn't want to win and our top 6 D could actually hold the blueline and our shots again and goals against wasn't a mess we are not that bad of a team.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
Lots of people overreacting and it's honestly embarrassing.

We are still early into this rebuild and our team is young in general. Everyone is learning.

We have had injuries and are now missing some important pieces. The impact of this has been magnified by the fact we're an inexperienced team.

And then we have guys that are new to the team, and still gelling, and after 20 games people are like "yeah, trade debrincat he's worthless."

Don't get me wrong. I've been dissapointed this season too. But when I try to be rational it's not so unbelievable that we are where we are and haven't met expectations yet. I'm not about to clean house because of it.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Two-game winning streak!

042660AA-7990-42CA-8926-6D807D2A5287.jpeg

Reactions: bicboi64

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

We are still early into this rebuild and our team is young in general. Everyone is learning.

We have had injuries and are now missing some important pieces. The impact of this has been magnified by the fact we're an inexperienced team.

And then we have guys that are new to the team, and still gelling, and after 20 games people are like "yeah, trade debrincat he's worthless."

Don't get me wrong. I've been dissapointed this season too. But when I try to be rational it's not so unbelievable that we are where we are and haven't met expectations yet. I'm not about to clean house because of it.
We aren't early into the rebuild.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

The inability of the coach to have his team ready for the season is so evident and so crushing to team momentum I cant see how he survives this. The team is decent enough but they aren’t ready when the puck drops.

You gotta fire the coach. You cant have this repetitive early season collapse and expect things to improve. His teams have never been ready, and of all the rusts they needed to be ready, They weren’t even close

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The inability of the coach to have his team ready for the season is so evident and so crushing to team momentum I cant see how he survives this. The team is decent enough but they aren’t ready when the puck drops.
Team was 4-2 to start the season, there were issues that needed to be ironed out but we didn't start sucking until Zub got hurt.

With 3 or 4 key players being new or practically new to the team, there was always an expectation that the team would take some time to find its groove, I don't think we handled the adversity of some key injuries well, but I do think the team has played better than it's record.

DJ should be replaced with new ownership, Dorion too, but the team isn't that bad, I think we'll finish around 85-90 pts if we avoid key player injuries going forward. That's not bad for a team missing it's number 1 center and given the terrible start we had.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I didn't know where to mention this and while it's cool that we won our last 2 games, I found this stat really crazy

We have given up 9 empty net goals... The 2nd and 3rd worst teams (Caps/Sharks) gave up 7, then 4 teams gave up 6, then 4 teams gave up 5 and 4 more teams gave up 4 EN goals, etc.

We scored 4 EN goals ourselves so if you disregard EN goals, we are actually EVEN in GF/GA (62/62)

Not bad (considering our record)

No. This is not the correct opinion

We currently have the 3rd longest playoff drought (Sabres 11, Wings 6)

After reaching the ECF in 2017, a lot of things went wrong the following season and a lot of players were banged up which brought us into a downward spiral. We decided to rebuild early in 2018 (I think Melnyk made the decision in January?). Even if you count only from 2018-19, this is the 5th season already...

The Habs were in the Stanley Cup finals in July 2021. Price and Weber were pretty much done after that and the team literally sucked last season and then proceeded with a rebuild. Cleaned all management and coaching staff, made several trades.

They currently have 6 more points than us. We might finish ahead but there's no rule as to how long you need to suck.

We didn't even keep our last 2 first round picks. We traded last draft pick for DeBrincat and the 2021 first for an early 2nd round pick :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Flamingo

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Chabot looks like a brand new man since coming back

The good old brain injury giving you superpowers story, classic

Reactions: Agent Zub

Maple Leaf Forever

Sep 9, 2013
Team was 4-2 to start the season, there were issues that needed to be ironed out but we didn't start sucking until Zub got hurt.

With 3 or 4 key players being new or practically new to the team, there was always an expectation that the team would take some time to find its groove, I don't think we handled the adversity of some key injuries well, but I do think the team has played better than it's record.

DJ should be replaced with new ownership, Dorion too, but the team isn't that bad, I think we'll finish around 85-90 pts if we avoid key player injuries going forward. That's not bad for a team missing it's number 1 center and given the terrible start we had.
Leaf fan coming in peace …..glad to see last two wins …..u guys are going to be ok …..where is Formenton and why is he not signed ….u certainly could use him .

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This team was always going to be streaky. Young high octane team's inevitably are. It's unfortunate that a big losing skid happened early in the season, but I think injuries played a part in that. Once a few losses started stringing together, games this team probably should have won, they began gripping their sticks a little tight and before you knew it they lost 7 in a row.

I think they are fully capable of stringing together a couple of winning streaks. If they put one together soon, and end up at 500 around christmas. . . that is right around where most of us expected them to be. Then who the hell knows.

Guess we will see! but at least the season isn't over yet. If they win 2 or 3 more in a row . . . or manage to win 2 for every game they lose in December they'll still be in it come the new year.

Leaf fan coming in peace …..glad to see last two wins …..u guys are going to be ok …..where is Formenton and why is he not signed ….u certainly could use him .

Nobody knows for certain, but all signs point to him being one of the key people involved in the hockey canada sexual assault scandle.

Team isn't saying anything at all about him and probably for a good reason.

I wonder if the injury was the best thing to happen to him. Concussion protocol kept him out when he probably could have played, freeing him up to get a bird's eye view and settle down a little bit.

Plus it gave Sanderson a chance to emerge, and eat some of the minutes CHabot shouldn't have to play.

Reactions: swiftwin

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I think they are fully capable of stringing together a couple of winning streaks. If they put one together soon, and end up at 500 around christmas. . . that is right around where most of us expected them to be. Then who the hell knows.
16 games to go in 2022. Currently 8-12-1. To get to 500 we have to win 4 more games than we lose, or some permutation close to that with OT losses.

(editted) So approx 10-6

Not impossible with some winning streaks. A hard hill to climb based on the first 21 games though.

It's enough for me to have hope and not be on team tank.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
16 games to go in 2022. Currently 8-12-1. To get to 500 we have to win 4 more games than we lose, or some permutation close to that with OT losses.

(editted) So approx 10-6

Not impossible with some winning streaks. A hard hill to climb based on the first 21 games though.

Next 4 games are all winnable games, and we're heading into them with a relatively healthy lineup and some confidence. I'm hoping we go 3-1, that would really make the situation more hopeful going forward

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

(editted) So approx 10-6

That brings us almost to the halfway point of the season, which to me will be when we know if we still have a chance.

At the 41 game mark I think we need to have 44-45 points to have a realistic shot at the postseason. That means 27-28 points in our next 20 games: 14-6-0 or 13-6-1 for example. A tall order. It would be quite the turnaround.

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
This team was always going to be streaky. Young high octane team's inevitably are. It's unfortunate that a big losing skid happened early in the season, but I think injuries played a part in that. Once a few losses started stringing together, games this team probably should have won, they began gripping their sticks a little tight and before you knew it they lost 7 in a row.

Guess we will see! but at least the season isn't over yet. If they win 2 or 3 more in a row . . . or manage to win 2 for every game they lose in December they'll still be in it come the new year.

Nobody knows for certain, but all signs point to him being one of the key people involved in the hockey canada sexual assault scandle.

Team isn't saying anything at all about him and probably for a good reason.

I wonder if the injury was the best thing to happen to him. Concussion protocol kept him out when he probably could have played, freeing him up to get a bird's eye view and settle down a little bit.

Plus it gave Sanderson a chance to emerge, and eat some of the minutes CHabot shouldn't have to play.
Chabot needed a concussion for DJ to wake up lol
We probably top 5 in the league if DJ himself had gotten it:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
We are the most FUN team out there.
Even with a twist of GOOD.
Didn't expect we'd be 3rd team in the league in xG For behind FLA and (checks notes) NJ

1669654206654.png

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Time away from this coaching staff helps you to re-focus on hockey :sarcasm:

The sword of Damocles is over his head because of the Team Canada scandal. We have no idea if he was involved or not but his disappearing act does not bode well. There's no other reason why he wouldn't be signed by now. It is obviously not a contract dispute

I really hope he was somewhat innocent because he was becoming a pretty good hockey player.

It's better to not even talk about it for now. Let's just say that he's on pause from hockey

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

(editted) So approx 10-6

On November 17th 2006, the Sens were 7-11-1 then they started to win until they had another losing streak. They were 17-18-1 on December 21st

We know then what happened, finished the season 48-25-9. It means they went 31-7-8 after Christmas (well after the 23rd)

Not saying that's how it will happen this year though :laugh:

I think we'll trend towards the middle of the standings but making the playoffs is very hard in this league. You need to be good from day #1

We need a top 4 D or we will continue to fluctuate. Our defense is simply subpar after the top pair and Sanderson.

It's much better than it has been in 5 years though. IMO, we have a #1, two #3 and a bunch of third pairing D-men. Sanderson will be a #1 in no time so we'll have two #1 and a #3. We just need ONE Top-4 RHD, which JBD could become in the very near future (damn injury)

#1 Chabot
#3 Sanderson and Zub
#5-6 Brannstrom, Hamonic, Holden, JBD
#7 Zaitsev, Thomson

Team overall still needs to become much better without the puck though, but it's usually coaching who teaches that

Amazes me how many DJ fans there still are

He really looks like an amazing guy. And I think he'd be great as an assistant coach. Even his players are big fans of him, but they probably don't realize that they're not playing to their full potential, many have only known him in the NHL so far

Who is a DJ fan?

Me. But just not as our head coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad