Speculation: WE SUCK

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
No. This is not the correct opinion

We currently have the 3rd longest playoff drought (Sabres 11, Wings 6)
The rebuild has taken a considerable amount of time. But, we are where we are. It is what it is at this point.

We still have a few requirements and obvious holes to fill. I'm not sure much longer it could take, but if we need 1 or god forbid 2 RDs, it could take some time and might not be as easy as some think. We might need another goalie as well.

And there's always a price or cost to be paid if our solution is to trade. Hard to know if you are better or worse off when you go down this path because you got to give something up to get something. We might not know that answer to how better off or further ahead (or behind) we are right away either. I'm not sure that some of the prototypical rebuild steps are still not in play here (e.g., draft).

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'd like to see them beat some better teams and reel off more than 2 in a row to start believing again, but Zub and Chabot being back is obviously huge if they are gonna have any chance.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
If you look at advance stats, the only conclusion you can get is that the Sens should be over 500 right now, they could easily have 3-4 more wins but they don't so they need to figure out how to win games they should win

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'd like to see them beat some better teams and reel off more than 2 in a row to start believing again, but Zub and Chabot being back is obviously huge if they are gonna have any chance.
Absolutely. Baby steps. Although, Kings are in 5th in the Western Conference. Don't mean to nitpick.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
After losing so much, you are tend to win some. Heck even Arizona win games

Beating Ducks and Kings (in OT), nothing to get excited about.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Absolutely. Baby steps. Although, Kings are in 5th in the Western Conference. Don't mean to nitpick.
Nothing wrong with a little clarification!

I didn't really mean to imply both teams we beat were bad, just the general sense of, I'd like to see us beat some good teams beyond 1 decent one in OT and the worst team in the league. That and more than two lol.

Some momentum either way though for sure.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Nothing wrong with a little clarification!

I didn't really mean to imply both teams we beat were bad, just the general sense of, I'd like to see us beat some good teams beyond 1 decent one in OT and the worst team in the league. That and more than two lol.

Some momentum either way though for sure.
Definitely agree. We need to string some wins together just to get to .500.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If you look at advance stats, the only conclusion you can get is that the Sens should be over 500 right now, they could easily have 3-4 more wins but they don't so they need to figure out how to win games they should win
Yup. We're also finally starting to see the teams with bad underlying metrics like Buffalo and Philly fall back down to earth. They had no business being high in the standings. Hopefully, the reverse will be true for us, and we can start to rise in the standings. Especially with Chabot and Zub both finally back in the lineup.

Reactions: coladin

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
After losing so much, you are tend to win some. Heck even Arizona win games

Beating Ducks and Kings (in OT), nothing to get excited about.
Totally! Your favourite hockey team winning games is nothing to get excited about!

I know what you mean though, but it sounded funny :)

Reactions: coladin

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
No. This is not the correct opinion

We currently have the 3rd longest playoff drought (Sabres 11, Wings 6)

After reaching the ECF in 2017, a lot of things went wrong the following season and a lot of players were banged up which brought us into a downward spiral. We decided to rebuild early in 2018 (I think Melnyk made the decision in January?). Even if you count only from 2018-19, this is the 5th season already...

The Habs were in the Stanley Cup finals in July 2021. Price and Weber were pretty much done after that and the team literally sucked last season and then proceeded with a rebuild. Cleaned all management and coaching staff, made several trades.

They currently have 6 more points than us. We might finish ahead but there's no rule as to how long you need to suck.

We didn't even keep our last 2 first round picks. We traded last draft pick for DeBrincat and the 2021 first for an early 2nd round pick :sarcasm:
A.) I don't appreciate your usage of the terms correct opinion.

B.) Not all rebuilds are equal. For that matter, I can't think of any other team ever completely cleaning house like we did. I'm not saying it was or wasn't the right move but we now have a completely new roster and our team is largely composed of the new young prospects we drafted. We didn't retain our Gallaghers etc. So it will be interesting to see where this all ends when you do it this way but it's going to be a long time before we can really assess whether it's all been worth it.

I want a cup. Look at how long tbat Avalanche core took to get one one. We're playing the long game here. All that matters is that the team keeps hoing in the right direction at this point and our players continue to develop.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

B.) Not all rebuilds are equal. For that matter, I can't think of any other team ever completely cleaning house like we did. I'm not saying it was or wasn't the right move but we now have a completely new roster and our team is largely composed of the new young prospects we drafted. We didn't retain our Gallaghers etc. So it will be interesting to see where this all ends when you do it this way but it's going to be a long time before we can really assess whether it's all been worth it.

I want a cup. Look at how long tbat Avalanche core took to get one one. We're playing the long game here. All that matters is that the team keeps hoing in the right direction at this point and our players continue to develop.
Pittsburgh Penguins is your answer. Dealt away Jagr, Straka, Kovalev, Lang, and pretty much anyone else worth anything. Then they got Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, etc. and got the new arena done. Haven't seen anything like it until Ottawa did it, at least that's my memory anyways. That was also in part financially motivated like us.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
Imagine if the team thought like half the fans. Imagine if the players started catastrophizing the situation and saying things like "we suck". Of course they wouldn't because they are professionals and have an understanding of sports psychology and how the right mindset contributes to being a winner. For that matter, pointless negativity by the fans does nothing to help the team. Caused Zaitsev to have a mental breakdown though. Thank god we aren't the Canucks. There's a team with a trash culture. I wonder if their fans fueled that at all?

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pittsburgh Penguins is your answer. Dealt away Jagr, Straka, Kovalev, Lang, and pretty much anyone else worth anything. Then they got Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, etc. and got the new arena done. Haven't seen anything like it until Ottawa did it, at least that's my memory anyways. That was also in part financially motivated like us.
Imagine being able to draft Crosby, Malkin and Fleury, and have Lemieux come out of retirement to play as well…. Crazy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Imagine if the team thought like half the fans. Imagine if the players started catastrophizing the situation and saying things like "we suck". Of course they wouldn't because they are professionals and have an understanding of sports psychology and how the right mindset contributes to being a winner. For that matter, pointless negativity by the fans does nothing to help the team. Caused Zaitsev to have a mental breakdown though. Thank god we aren't the Canucks. There's a team with a trash culture. I wonder if their fans fueled that at all?
That's how pro sports fandom works. Every team, almost regardless of the sport, is the same. When its good its good, when its not its not. Spend some time on other sports or nhl team forums and you'll see the same ime.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
They got a few cups, right?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

A) It's your name

Reactions: Xspyrit and bert

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille