Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Athanasiou has been very underwhelming so far. Did not click with McDavid and probably not the type of player to succeed in the bottom 6 role. It will be interesting what happens when Yamamoto, Neal, and Nygard come back.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
AA-McDavid-Neal
Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira-Hass-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Russell-Benning
Jones

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Drai was dominate. He is special to watch. That was his game....... He was way better than Connor tonight.

The guy is seriously Top 5 in the league.... he can just take over.

Smith was great as well! He stood tall a number of times.

Overall, great win by the guys, love to see it! One step closer to the playoffs

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Smith was fantastic in a game this team slept walked for a lot of it. Won't win any style points but this guy is tenacious and a warrior. Huge part of this culture change with superlative veteran leadership.

Draisaitl was excellent again. Nuge is excellent and a critical part of the 'second' line success - beautiful saucer pass to McDavid to set up the second goal and lethal low blocker shot for the winner. Liked Khaira's game tonight. This team was on its heels for a lot of this game. Bent but didn't break. For Winnipeg, Pionk was outstanding. Connor is a hell of a player. Maurice is a great coach dealing with their own injuries. Two teams I like. But glad the Oil found a way to win a playoff tight game.

Tough roadie ahead. They needed this win and found a way.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Patrick Russell has been on the ice for five of the last seven goals against at even strength.

How many did we score in exchange in that time he was out there?

Let me guess.

giphy.gif

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Patrick Russell has been on the ice for five of the last seven goals against at even strength.

He needs to find his way to the press box with JJ and Chiasson, but unfortunately too many injuries. I bet there's still more talented AHL players in Bako that would gladly take over their contracts and put in an effort.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I think the thing I most gleamed from this game and the last few before it are that this team needs Oscar Klefbom. It needed him yesterday. Thought none of the three pairings were very good.

Kailer, too. McDavid will McDavid with anybody, but Drai at even strength needs a functioning unit to dominate. The Nuge goal was nice but that's more common with Yamamoto being a buzzsaw and winning possession back.

Reactions: Pugilist

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You have to give full credit to the Jets... they played their asses off and had their heads hanging at the end of the game, they put that much into this game. They obviously wanted this game extremely badly and worked their asses off to try and win.

Which only makes this win in regulation even sweeter. :)

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Drai was dominate. He is special to watch. That was his game....... He was way better than Connor tonight.

The guy is seriously Top 5 in the league.... he can just take over.

Smith was great as well! He stood tall a number of times.

Overall, great win by the guys, love to see it! One step closer to the playoffs

They need a good winger for McDavid. You could see AA and Ennis do not the game on his level.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Smith was fantastic in a game this team slept walked for a lot of it. Won't win any style points but this guy is tenacious and a warrior. Huge part of this culture change with superlative veteran leadership.

Draisaitl was excellent again. Nuge is excellent and a critical part of the 'second' line success - beautiful saucer pass to McDavid to set up the second goal and lethal low blocker shot for the winner. Liked Khaira's game tonight. This team was on its heels for a lot of this game. Bent but didn't break. For Winnipeg, Pionk was outstanding. Connor is a hell of a player. Maurice is a great coach dealing with their own injuries. Two teams I like. But glad the Oil found a way to win a playoff tight game.

Tough roadie ahead. They needed this win and found a way.

That was a must win after the last 2, and you're absolutely right, Smith won that game. 2nd period was absolutely brutal though, they did the same thing in Vegas and can't keep doing that if they want a playoff spot. Just keep winning though!

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Athanasiou has been very underwhelming so far. Did not click with McDavid and probably not the type of player to succeed in the bottom 6 role. It will be interesting what happens when Yamamoto, Neal, and Nygard come back.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
AA-McDavid-Neal
Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira-Hass-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Russell-Benning
Jones

Ennis?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
You have to give full credit to the Jets... they played their asses off and had their heads hanging at the end of the game, they put that much into this game. They obviously wanted this game extremely badly and worked their asses off to try and win.

They played just like how we did those 5 games when McDavid was out and the other injuries started to mount up. Desperate but cohesive since they knew that they were undermanned. Desperation, effort and a gameplan can go a long way.

Connor McFries

5-14-6-1
Jan 9, 2008
Draisaitl's development curve, even up until now, is just insane. He's improved draistically every year. He went from one of the worst players in the NHL to a 50 point player to a ppg player to a 100 point player to the best player in the world this year.

There is no telling when he will stop improving.

What you did there... I see it.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I though Krussel was effective tonight breaking up the play in the d zone.

I know he (Krussel) is not liked here but to quote the late Pat Quinn “You don’t want to have all Fancy Dan's back there”

Reactions: Burnoutboi

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

PB, I think, but maybe he displaces Nygard, Hass or Khaira. he did show some flashes of skill, but I am not convinced he will be on the ice when injured guys return. I actually liked Khaira's effort. He was good on the PK too.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
AA-McDavid-Neal
Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira-Hass-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Russell-Benning
Jones
I don't see ennis getting bumped out

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Ennnis to the PB, I think, but maybe he displaces Nygard, Hass or Khaira. he did show some flashes of skill, but I am not convinced he will be on the ice when injured guys return. I actually liked Khaira's effort. He was good on the PK too. But man, that 4th line was pathetic in the offensive zone most of the time.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Reminded me of some of those MacT coached Oilers teams that would grind and fall 1 point short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad