Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Elliot not giving RNH any shine lol. Probably cant handle the fact that he's out producing everyone on his beloved flames.

Really only Hartnell's opinion matters. As a guy who played, he was heaping praise on Nuge's game tonight. Easy to see McDavid and Draisaitl's immense talent driving this team but Nuge does an awful lot of yeoman work as a high end support guy.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
That pass on the 2-on-1 was his game in a nut shell. Try hard, no finish. He doesn't PK--why is he still here?

I've wondered that as a well. I dont hate the guy but he literally hasnt contributed offensively and he doesnt pk. I think I read somewhere that hes the guy who works out the most and is the biggest gym rat on the team. Part of me wonders if hes just on the team because he works hard off the ice, and the team thinks it will rub off on others. /shrug

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
AA watched a bit too much of the media during the trade deadline.. He's trying to defer to McDavid way too much which isn't even his style..

Also that late game PK by Khaira is exactly the reason we will still see him on this roster when this team is healthy... Coaches care so much more having guys that can win games via the pk and such compared to how much offense they can provide in 5 minutes of 5v5 ice time

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
AA watched a bit too much of the media during the trade deadline.. He's trying to defer to McDavid way too much which isn't even his style..

Also that late game PK by Khaira is exactly the reason we will still see him on this roster when this team is healthy... Coaches care so much more having guys that can win games via the pk and such compared to how much offense they can provide in 5 minutes of 5v5 ice time

There is a problem with that logic. Whatever Khaira contributes on PK he takes away 5-5. He can't clear the zone, turns back to cough up the puck at our blue line, frequently makes risky/dumb plays.

Reactions: Keggatron

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Smith is such a battler in net. No quit in him at all.
He makes goaltending look really difficult. :nod: ;)

Reactions: Oilhawks

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Very intense game. Winnipeg probably deserved better but Smith stoll that one from them. Everyone bellow us lost too so we had lady luck on our side tonight!

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
True, very fast, very skilled and unconventional, which makes him difficult to play against too. It takes a player with a similar IQ.

I think in order to work with McDavid you need one of two things in particular

1) You have to be a High IQ player. I think this is why Draisaitl works with him. Unfortunately theres not many players with that level of hockey IQ.
2) You have to be extremely predictable so that McDavid knows what you are going to do. The player has to be able to make plays though. McDavid is moving so fast that he has to know what the other player is going to do. I think this is why Maroon worked well at times with him. He played a very simple game. Good in the corners, good in front of the net. I could see Ennis having some chemistry with McDavid, he seems to play a pretty solid/predictable game.

Reactions: Satire

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
That was a must win after the last 2, and you're absolutely right, Smith won that game. 2nd period was absolutely brutal though, they did the same thing in Vegas and can't keep doing that if they want a playoff spot. Just keep winning though!

I think they ran out of gas in Vegas with 4 games in 6 nights. They had a great road period to start that game and couldn't beat Fleury. The tank emptied and Vegas took over the game. I expected a better game tonight after a couple days rest and they were pretty lacklustre being badly outshot and played for a lot of this game. Smith kept them in it and this team found a way to grind out two points. Jets are also facing their own injury issues and I thought they played a great road game tonight.

Next week is going to be a grind. They have been playing tough playoff type hockey for the most part and hope it can continue in some tough barns to win in.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Winnipeg deserved at least a point in this game. They out worked the Oilers for most of the game and still lost.
Credit goes to Smith.

RNH and Draisaitl work really well together. That 3rd goal was a perfect example.

Connor looks a little out of sync....might have to do with his linemates or just not quite up to speed after his layoff.
When everyone gets healthy I would continue to play Tennis on that line...not sure about Athanasiou. He looks a little lost. Aside from the first game he seems to be trying to find his way.
TEnnis McDavid and Kassian is what i would go with.

Play Athanasiou with Sheahan and Archibald.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Happy about the win.

Still miss Klef & Yamo, with those two we'll start to look a legitimate threat to do some damage.

I support the demotion of Athanasiou, you can't be on McDavid's line and just have zero drive to your game, he wasn't working and he skated himself directly into defensive coverage multiple times and did nothing to free himself up as a passing option. Would literally put a defender between himself and the puck carrier and then skated directly next to him without a care in the world. Not against giving him another chance, but he needs to be talked to asked if he just kinda wants it or if he really wants it.

If Athanasiou falters I'm curious if Ennis - McDavid - Kassian are good enough to get it done, just based on how they look I'm sure they'd compliment each other well, but when I ask myself questions like can that line put up 80-85% of the offense the DRY line does, I'm much less sure.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Is Dave going to grow the moustache back?

Tipp should grow a playoff stache...and perhaps Playfair should grow a playoff mullet too:
6C1F59DD-EC07-4C2C-9BEE-9B8531C253E5.jpeg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Happy about the win.

Still miss Klef & Yamo, with those two we'll start to look a legitimate threat to do some damage.

I support the demotion of Athanasiou, you can't be on McDavid's line and just have zero drive to your game, he wasn't working and he skated himself directly into defensive coverage multiple times and did nothing to free himself up as a passing option. Would literally put a defender between himself and the puck carrier and then skated directly next to him without a care in the world. Not against giving him another chance, but he needs to be talked to asked if he just kinda wants it or if he really wants it.

If Athanasiou falters I'm curious if Ennis - McDavid - Kassian are good enough to get it done, just based on how they look I'm sure they'd compliment each other well, but when I ask myself questions like can that line put up 80-85% of the offense the DRY line does, I'm much less sure.

I agree with your line there. That's what I was thinking might work best when we picked up Athanasiou and Ennis

Ennis-McDAvid-Kassian
RNH-Drai-Yamamoto
Athanasiou-Sheahan-Archibald

That's how I'd like to try a top 9. Once Neal is back I'd honestly be tempted to try him in Kassian's spot and drop Kassian to whatever 4th line we've got. But I'd also be content to have Neal on the 4th line with Haas and whoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad