Post-Game Talk: We Lawst

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Just have to remind myself that this stuff doesn't f***ing matter. It ruins my day man and really what ruins my day more is knowing that the penguins will win. I can deal with us struggling. I can't deal with teams chasing us going on these f***ing unbeatable runs.

I think the team will be fine, but I can even convince myself the penguins will lose again in the next three weeks.

That's the real problem for me

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
-Not an unexpected result, although they didn't play entirely bad. Breakouts were actually better in the 1st, bad in the 2nd, then the team as a whole looked tired in the 3rd despite GG's overconfidence.
-PP1 was incredibly disjointed. Kane hasn't done much in 2 games, but I actually fault Panarin for a lot of it. 0 shots today, and constantly trying to set Kane up all game even when the passes weren't there. 10 was "credited" was 6 giveaways today...no other Ranger had more than 2. Even strength, Trocheck and Panarin also still don't have chemistry. 16's playstyle just isn't generally compatible. When 10 and 88 have the puck, he's not where he needs to be. He's good at zone entry, but so are the other two. I really would rather see Chytil between those two.
-PP2 looks a heck of a lot better with Lafreniere replacing Kakko. Tarasenko on that unit adds an immediate shooting threat and swapping Laf in for Kakko allows Tarasenko to play along the half wall where he's better. As much as I wanted the kids to play in scoring roles earlier in the season this is the right move the rest of the way as KK just hasn't shown the offensive ability to assert his will. For better or worse, this is the team down the stretch, and they've gone all in, so now it's time to take what they have and make the most of it. Unfortunately, player development suffers again, but this is the only action with where this team is right now.
-I really don't fault Igor for any of the goals tonight. Blown netfront coverages and bad turnovers were the culprit.
-Harpur was horrible in the 3rd, and Schneider had another weak game. Also, during his 3 minute shift, he was 10 feet from the bench and failed to change. The decision making of those 2 is really questionable, and I'm looking forward to not being shorthanded, and ultimately to when Harpur is no longer a fixture in the lineup.
-For all the hate Laf is getting on here, he's been the best player on the kid line for the last 3 weeks, and he'd be around .8PPG over that time if Chytil could finish the chances he's gotten the last 3 weeks. Yes, he gets muscled off the puck easily and he can't fight through checks - all things to work on in the offseason in terms of upper body strength and skating stride, but you can clearly see the potential. Not thrilled, however, with Kakko for the reasons above. Soft perimeter play, he's arguably the slowest skater on the team, and he's back to handling the puck like his stick is a pool noodle under checking pressure where he's facing the play.
-They still got 2 against a goalie who doesn't give up 2 while clearly not anywhere near their best. That alone should be a moral victory, if nothing else.
-As much as I hate not having any sports to watch for the next few days, these days off should be good for the team to get healthy and start creating chemistry on the ice.

Thinking I'd really like to see these line combos:
20-93-24
10-72-88
13-16-91
??-21-26 (at least until we know what's going on with Motte)...if we're allowed to call up Brodz, I'd rather see 21-76-26 as a 4th for now.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Finally got to watch the replay. Panarin is playing some truly atrocious hockey. He’s infuriating to watch right now. If Gallant keeps him and Kane together next game he deserves all the criticism that comes his way. Right now NYR are regressing with those two on the ice together.

Don’t even get me started about Mika in the bumper. Like what on planet f***head is the coaching staff thinking removing the only shooting threat from the half boards?

And let’s be clear if this all flames out (today’s frustration aside let’s give it a few weeks w 18 skaters) it will be on Drury in a big way as well. And ultimately on Dolan for putting his fingers on the scale towards creating a 2000s all star team.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
It’s a shame they gave up on Jones after 16 games, and not just that, but to replace him with the definition of a plug in Harpur, who is big, but doesn’t even hit, which at least what a plug would normally do.

You should be trying all kinds of shit for the 60 games before the deadline, good nights, bad nights, it’s a long season, and then make your improvements at the deadline.

They also extended Harpur for no reason. I got it, he can be sent to Hartford next year, I’ll believe that when I see it.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
These 4 days off could not come at a better time.

Miller back Thursday. Would love an update on Lindgren at some point. It has more to do with who is replacing them than themselves being out.

Mikkola is a 3rd pairing guy. Harpur is an AHLer. You might be able to get away with Mikkola-Fox as a 2nd pair, but with normal shifts, not 5D.

We got hit with the one spot the team cannot lose players in, center is a close 2nd, but if a top 3C on this team went out I think they could survive.

LD depth has been a weakness for some time now. Would have been ideal to see if Jones could have done something all season, but Harpur and Hajek, two guys with no future here, were given the job.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just have to remind myself that this stuff doesn't f***ing matter. It ruins my day man and really what ruins my day more is knowing that the penguins will win. I can deal with us struggling. I can't deal with teams chasing us going on these f***ing unbeatable runs.

I think the team will be fine, but I can even convince myself the penguins will lose again in the next three weeks.

That's the real problem for me
Honestly, I hope we finish 4th so it happens and you just get over it already.

It doesn't matter.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Miller back Thursday. Would love an update on Lindgren at some point. It has more to do with who is replacing them than themselves being out.

Mikkola is a 3rd pairing guy. Harpur is an AHLer. You might be able to get away with Mikkola-Fox as a 2nd pair, but with normal shifts, not 5D.

We got hit with the one spot the team cannot lose players in, center is a close 2nd, but if a top 3C on this team went out I think they could survive.

LD depth has been a weakness for some time now. Would have been ideal to see if Jones could have done something all season, but Harpur and Hajek, two guys with no future here, were given the job.
At least with Miller back, we can play six D in real pairs.

Staple Harpur and Schneider together and play them 10 minutes.

Reactions: Do you want ants

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We played like sh*t and that has nothing to do with us being short. Gallant's "system" is a crime against hockey, in all 3 zones. He's frying my brain with his stupid dino throw-the-puck-up-the-ice-and-let-the-stars-play sh*t . Every forward is improvising best he can, or dumping the puck without any particular plan. Every game Ranger players keep bumping into each other, sometimes injuring each other, because there is no real system or structure or thought behind what the team does. Stereotypes and clichés, that's Gallant's game. SO DAMN STUPID.

Boston were good, in particular they were excellent at interfering and grabbing, but I do wonder if they can keep their puckluck and momentum going all the way to a cup. Sooner or later they will hit a bump in the road.
From breakout to transition...

To O-Zone gameplan to D-Zone coverage....

no one knows wtf is going on.

Reactions: CLW

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Harpur being in the NHL just goes to show that, while NHL coaches and execs are a bit more progressive than they used to be, they still way over-value height and "sound defense" whatever the f*** they think that means.

I'll take a 5'8" mediocre puck-mover who takes constant risks on my 1st pair over Harpur on my 3rd pair.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX

Day to day.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Panarin was looking much better before we were forced to play three NHL defensemen and one of them is Mikkola.

I think we need to give all our lines a chance in games where we don't need help from the wings and the center to advance the puck.

I know we had blown coverages but it's a numbers game. Every forward was asked to play two positions today.

Except Kreider-Zibanejad-Tarasenko, that line can f*** off now.

Reactions: Richard Banger

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Ryan Strome? :sarcasm:
I actually think the issue hasn’t been panarin and Kane, but trocheck. The dude doesn’t understand half the time who he’s playing with, and tries to act like he’s the skilled forward on the line.
Move either Chytil up, or Mika down.

Reactions: Irina

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People like Schneider because he beat up the Devils once.

What's the over/under on how long he lives off of that?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Panarin was looking much better before we were forced to play three NHL defensemen and one of them is Mikkola.

I think we need to give all our lines a chance in games where we don't need help from the wings and the center to advance the puck.

I know we had blown coverages but it's a numbers game. Every forward was asked to play two positions today.

Except Kreider-Zibanejad-Tarasenko, that line can f*** off now.

He looked great even when they had to do this before the last game.

Panarin is just spamming passes to Kane. Take Kane out of the equation and he'll go back to doing what he normally does (hopefully.)

I fully acknowledge that Kreider-Zibanejad-Kane may also end up being terrible, but it works in theory and Panarin-Tro-Tarasenko has worked in the little bit that we've seen of it.

Reactions: CLW and duhmetreE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad