Post-Game Talk: We Lawst

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You can't deny the Shaq

00116C34-5DEA-4639-9891-C6F14EF61599.gif

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
You're operating under the assumption that it will turn out to be a brilliant move. It might. It might not.
I mean sitting underperforming players and holding vets accountable for underperforming play, is exactly what it seems like he did.

Gallant has done it with the kids, and never with underperforming vets. If I ever saw panarin stapled to the bench after lazy backchecking, I'd 100% support it even if we lost.
Showing the team that everyone needs to give the effort, is something we should want a coach to do.

Im not saying panarin needs to block shots like CK or mika, or that suddenly Fox needs to throw hits like trouba, but I am saying that there have been games where we all see the vets play has been lackluster, and gallant has never sat them. He's happy to sit kakko/laf/chytil if they dont give 100% effort though.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Yeah I mean his best games this season still aren’t even close to even just his solid games last year.

I can’t stop thinking about the points Vally made in the pregame a few games ago about Igor’s stance being wider and he’s crouching more and it’s impacting literally everything about Igor’s gsme. Idk why him and Benny won’t fix it and get back to basics. He looks off every night, he’s getting beat on clear sight shots with regularity, he’s late on plays he used to be early on. You need your goalie to make big saves on great chances, we watch the other teams goalies do it to us night after night while watching Igor get beat with much too high frequency. I’m a goalie myself so maybe that’s why I’m being hard on him but it’s just incredibly frustrating to see all the talent we have and the potential this team has this season and then see Igor being bad knowing what he’s capable of and watch him this year looking like a shell of himself. It’s so frustrating and as we get closer to the playoffs and he continues to suck I’m getting more and more worried that this is what we’re going to get and if that’s the case we’re out in round one.
I know we joke about this, but it’s pretty likely that having a baby around is actually affecting his play. I’m sure it is different for a millionaire athlete, but that seriously upsets your lifestyle and that’s probably doubly true for goalies whose games are so mental and reliant on routine.

When is Zib’s kid due? Hopefully not until the playoffs are over.

Deleted member 23124

It wasn't broken. Trying to fix what's not broken isn't good. He won the Vezina, for crissakes. Why the hell change anything?
Someone posted Vally's comments on what he thinks Shesty's doing wrong....the one thing that stood out in that post was Vally commenting that Shesty is playing further back than he originally was. (I seem to recall some posters here making the same comment.) I think that is a product of Allaire's coaching. He had Henrik doing it (there were many complaints about him playing with his butt in the net over a number of years). When Talbot and Raanta came, that was one of the first changes he made in their playing style.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I mean sitting underperforming players and holding vets accountable for underperforming play, is exactly what it seems like he did.

Gallant has done it with the kids, and never with underperforming vets. If I ever saw panarin stapled to the bench after lazy backchecking, I'd 100% support it even if we lost.
Showing the team that everyone needs to give the effort, is something we should want a coach to do.

Im not saying panarin needs to block shots like CK or mika, or that suddenly Fox needs to throw hits like trouba, but I am saying that there have been games where we all see the vets play has been lackluster, and gallant has never sat them. He's happy to sit kakko/laf/chytil if they dont give 100% effort though.

I don't disagree. I just question whether the move will have a positive impact.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Saying Kane shouldn't be on PP1 until he could practice is some serious hindsight is 20/20 shit.

Getting Miller and Lindgren back will be huge. Would like to see more Miller/Fox but I doubt GG does it.

Also really liked @The Gloaming line combos. Again I doubt GG does it.

Also, also Igor needs to dial in again. This new style he has gone to just cannot work for a goalie his size. As someone else said it works for Ullmark because he's huge. Reminds me of when a golfer, Rickie Fowler for example, starts tweaking the shit that got him success and spends years trying to find it again. You were the Vezina winner dude. Stick to what worked.

I think the question is is his new style conscious or not? Is he losing his positioning because of confidence or is he trying out a new style because he thinks it'll be better for some reason?

Someone posted Vally's comments on what he thinks Shesty's doing wrong....the one thing that stood out in that post was Vally commenting that Shesty is playing further back than he originally was. (I seem to recall some posters here making the same comment.) I think that is a product of Allaire's coaching. He had Henrik doing it (there were many complaints about him playing with his butt in the net over a number of years). When Talbot and Raanta came, that was one of the first changes he made in their playing style.

As much as I appreciate Allaire for what he's done for the Rangers it sounds like he's letting his ego ruin Shesterkin. There is zero reason to tinker with Igor's positioning after last season.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I have no idea why the bumper has to be a righty, imo having a lefty there would give Zib a 3rd option, 1 timer, slap pass to Kreider, pass to a one timer in the bumper. Put Tarasenko there and see what happens. Kane is another passer, we already have 4 of them on that pp.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I know we joke about this, but it’s pretty likely that having a baby around is actually affecting his play. I’m sure it is different for a millionaire athlete, but that seriously upsets your lifestyle and that’s probably doubly true for goalies whose games are so mental and reliant on routine.

When is Zib’s kid due? Hopefully not until the playoffs are over.

Not until next season.

Also the kid thing might be true, but not all babies are terrors over night.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Most goalies sacrifice side to side movement by coming out and challenging. Shesterkin was a unicorn that didn't and that's what made him special. Is Allaire seriously trying to coach out his biggest strength?

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Too much is being made of this bumper. What the PP1 unit needs first and foremost is movement. Get people out of their set position. Allow Fox to roam the ozone, Panarin and Mika should be switching often. Get the PKers out of position and create chaos down low.

Last year they were moving the puck and themselves. This year they're only moving the puck and we see the results of that.

Deleted member 23124

Too much is being made of this bumper. What the PP1 unit needs first and foremost is movement. Get people out of their set position. Allow Fox to roam the ozone, Panarin and Mika should be switching often. Get the PKers out of position and create chaos down low.

Last year they were moving the puck and themselves. This year they're only moving the puck and we see the results of that.
I'm wondering if they're capable of moving and passing at the same time. We've already seen evidence they can barely received passes while on the move.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I'm wondering if they're capable of moving and passing at the same time. We've already seen evidence they can barely received passes while on the move.
Somehow they were able to do it very well last year. Unless Ryan Strome was the secret key to success on the PP.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA

Bingo. I've said this all year. The play is too stagnant.

For a PK, it's easy to take away passing lanes and maintain gap control when you know at all times where the opposing players will be.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Mikas in 2019-2020 was in the bumper and that unit was prolific. We might all be singing a different tune about that set up had he not just said "no thank you" when the seas parted for him in the slot.
Not to mention Zibanejad scored 2 goals the prior 2 games playing in the bumper with a LH shot on the right wall. it's a complete overreaction at this point.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
It wasn't broken. Trying to fix what's not broken isn't good. He won the Vezina, for crissakes. Why the hell change anything?

just curious - is this something hes talked about / people with team have talked about or general observations? not doubting it just havent heard anything in detail so curious what might be out there. dont need to be a goaler expert to see hes not playing the same but in terms of style - definitely looks like hes playing deeper a lot more frequently. not sure if that was a health thing - dont have to make those violent moves getting to a cross ice play hes been injured on if he stays deeper?

but whats really evident is his confidence is crushed. you see it when hes stopping wraps he has more misses and mishandles. you see it in the way he is later picking up passes around the net - last year it was like hed beat the puck to the player half the time having read that pass well before it was made. hes getting beat by those short side shots from bad angles more often. you can see hes not confident against breakaways - in game at least. hes getting beat by a lot of unobstructed slot shots. watching him last year there was just a presence to him facing shots where i knew the shooter was dead to rights before he took the shot. he just ate guys up, im not sure i have the right words to describe it, but thats the biggest difference i see this year. it was like he was on top of guys last year, and this year far too frequently hes the one who looks dead to rights before a shot is taken. hes really the one big concern i have, because its really hard to get that back at this point of a season.

so curious what else, if anything, has been said about his changes and what others there might be. but in the end whether its the changes or something else, what stands out about his getting beat is less what hes doing and more just the absence of that feeling he gave last year when challenged - he didnt just make the saves he made them look effortless most of the time. this year stopping a dump in can look stressful, and thats entirely confidence.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
They don’t move their legs, that’s the number one thing.
They’re stationary in the defensive zone, in the neutral zone and the offensive zone. You need to create movement to get space and time.

Like I said, they’re either the dumbest or laziest hockey players I’ve ever seen.
I don’t know what’s worse

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Not to mention Zibanejad scored 2 goals the prior 2 games playing in the bumper with a LH shot on the right wall. it's a complete overreaction at this point.
As is the case pretty much across the board, we have the pieces to succeed. The story this season has been one of "less than the sum of its parts."

@Machinehead is right to point out (and agree with me since I remember saying this to him months ago lol) that our defense is too one dimensional. OTOH, I diagnose the issue not as the forwards have to overcompensate for them, but that the forwards are not successfully compensating for them.

In the o-zone our defense does not pinch, and the few times they do, it seems to always lead to disaster up the other way. Our forwards, being largely slow to average skaters, rarely cover the defense enough (relative to their own skating ability) to prevent an unsuccessful pinch turning into an oddman rush against us--and thats if they cover at all (see: Panarin a couple games ago).

In the dzone the forwards, especially the centers, do stay low in the zone. But they rarely help anything by doing so. Teams typically own us on the boards. Our wingers are slow to read movement to the points and get there too late too often, and even when they have time, they fail to at least clear the puck way too often, as soon as they feel pressure from opposing dmen. Our centers chase the play low, but don't effectively relieve pressure. They tend to get beat on the boards, don't do a good enough job preventing movement to the middle of the ice, and in general don't disrupt a forecheck enough to win their dmen enough time and space to make a safe play.

In transition, this amounts to a few things. 1) the whole team is stuck low in the zone and rush chances are hard to generate with more ice to cover. 2) our defense rarely has room to skate the puck safely and when they do, rarely have support up ice. 3) long shifts spent chasing down the opponent leaves everyone gassed with nothing left to put together on the counter.

The defense definitely have a problem with pick movement. That's undeniable. But our forwards are also way too talented not to be able to make a play on a puck that's not right on their tape. They're too big and strong not to disrupt and delay the forecheck for their dmen. For me, I see them 'in the right places' so to speak but not committed enough to doing the right things when they're there.

We play a much better game when we don't insist as a group on playing pretty. Starting in the dzone, when we have the mindset of disrupting and getting the puck clear of the blueline as quickly as possible (not as neatly or cleanly as possible), and likewise, when we commit to just getting it over the other blueline with numbers rather than with precision, we fare much better because we don't spend all our energy defending and we don't allow ourselves to be hamstrung by our own weaknesses (ie. Puck movement from defensemen and lack of foot speed at forward).

Long post, partially related to what you said, but more my 2 cents on your guy's earlier convo.

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
So while I agree with you, I also have realized you’re talking about 99% of coaches.
Gallant isn’t unusual.

What copper did the other day by sitting the vets for a message is something most coaches wouldn’t do.

In Tampa's next game, after 2 periods, they are down 4-0, and have registered 4 shots in the first period and NONE in the second period.

Cooper has inspired his team with his brilliant benchings.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Tampa's regular season is meaningless and they have shown it. They know by now how to coast into the playoffs and turn it on when it matters.

Then why did Cooper bench those players if they don't care about the regular season?

Cooper benched them to kick them in the ass to get more effort out of his squad. The reverse seems to have happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad