Post-Game Talk: We Lawst

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I've never seen a player self destruct as shockingly as he has after having a historic season.
Jist doesn’t make any saves I mean it. Boston generated absolutely NOTHING today. NOTHING. Every clean look went in. Maybe maybe 6 or 7 chances. 4 went in. Ridiculous. Louis Domingue could have done. That.

It was a very tight game thst like I said prob should have finished 2-1 tops one way or the other. Goaltending as has been the case all year for us SUCKED.

I’m not sure we can get much accomplished come playoff time with this goaltending It’s embarrassing.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I've never seen a player self destruct as shockingly as he has after having a historic season.
I think some of us had a feeling or fear he could drop off. Even last season he would have periods where he was fighting things. Even in the playoffs. I watched one goal and I was thinking the net is 6 feet wide and there was almost 3 feet on the ice that puck could have gone through. Stick is not square too often.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I expected a drop off from last season. I did not expect a drop off a cliff. This guy has a save percentage under 910. That’s roller hockey type shot. Embarrassing

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Tbh’s the b’s dont scare me. Yes, they made some sick cross crease/ice passes today for goals but imo out D/forwards will be more dialed in comr playoff time
They are good at everything and do not make mistakes. It also helps their Goaltending are the same way... you need to be extraordinary to beat them

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I expected a drop off from last season. I did not expect a drop off a cliff. This guy has a save percentage under 910. That’s roller hockey type shot. Embarrassing
I didn't expect another .940 season going into March... I expected around .920. We're no where near that. He looks like a completely different player. Right now, he reminds me of Lundqvist before he retired.

He hasn't stolen a game this season. He only has 1 shutout. Looks small and sloppy.

Despite that, we weren't hurt much by it and we still have been winning games but that changes things in the playoffs. I'm 100% ok with him playing his best hockey in late March into the playoffs. Regular season means little if that's the case. We're running out of time.... I just hope he can turn it around... If Halak could look like he did to start the year and tightened up... I'm hopeful.... I think.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
team is really out of sync, and unfortunately they don't get simple and gritty to get out of it, they get air-headed and passive. yes, the vibes are very strange and have been with all the movement, injuries, suspensions, etc. at the same time, this has been the theme of the season. on top of the world for four weeks, in the depths of hell for the next. there's only ~20 games left.

When this roster plays like grinders, just simple, dump and chase, shift after shift, depending on four lines, rolling those lines, that's when their skill takes over, ice opens up, and they flat out dominate most teams. As long as they avoid that kind of dogged work, they'll continue to sink, JMO

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The fact that this team thought they could acquire Kane and trot him out there on PP1 in his usual spot, putting Mika in the bumper, and that would net improve the NYR PP1…and not not lead to redundancies and overpassing…truly says it all.

That is star chasing. That is why people like me who vividly remember the dark ages draw parallels and see similarities. Save me the patronizing comments.

The collective decision making frankly makes no sense. It highlights a disconnect between coach, GM, and owner.

For a while the cap forced the NYR to consider taking a page out of Herb Brooks’ book and not simply finding the best players but the right ones. The whole current situation belies a lack of strategy and execution. I mean for f***s sake if they had a strategy would they have used cap space on Leshutchuynt for however many games or fielded 18 skates today? It’s f***ing indisputable.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
The fact that this team thought they could acquire Kane and trot him out there on PP1 in his usual spot, putting Mika in the bumper, and that would net improve the NYR PP1…and not not lead to redundancies and overpassing…truly says it all.

That is star chasing. That is why people like me who vividly remember the dark ages draw parallels and see similarities. Save me the patronizing comments.

The collective decision making frankly makes no sense. It highlights a disconnect between coach, GM, and owner.

For a while the cap forced the NYR to consider taking a page out of Herb Brooks’ book and not simply finding the best players but the right ones. The whole current situation belies a lack of strategy and execution. I mean for f***s sake if they had a strategy would they have used cap space on Leshutchuynt for however many games or fielded 18 skates today? It’s f***ing indisputable.
Agreed. I don't begrudge anyone taking a wait and see approach, giving weight to the schedule and circumstances but nobody should forget that plenty of deadline adds don't have adjustment periods, they fit seamlessly and cohesively. Copp and Vatrano last year, for example.

Clearly Kane was a we didn't think it was happening but when it broke as it did we couldn't say no move. I'm with you as being skeptical: adding big names for the sake of adding big names doesn't have a sparkling history with this org.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It wasn't even that bad of a performance today. Sick of reading the meltdowns and bullshit takes after every loss especially with what has happened the last 2 weeks. Why don't we all step back and take a deep breathe. They will have 4 days off to reset and have a full 12/6 roster for the first time since Lindgren went down. Kane actually gets to practice for the first time with the team. People writing off Kane after 2 games just make me shake my head. Guy plays 16 years with 1 team and I guess he is supposed to be totally acclimated to a new system and new team after 2 games with no practice. So so dumb. Do you guys know how difficult it is to play 4 straight games when you can't even ice a full roster? Screws up rotations and continuity. I have never seen a team play shorthanded for 4 games in my entire life of watching hockey. On top of that they are missing 2 top 4 Dmen and you have guys like Harpur playing 20 minutes. They just went 2-2 with that very unenviable situation, losing to the 2 hottest teams in the league. GDT's read like a mental asylum lately. This team has shown that when they play poorly they regroup and turn things around. They are resilient and they are good and I guarantee you all that they will start playing a helluva lot better and will figure it out.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014

I'm still not convinced this team is built for playoff hockey. Willing to give it time though (acquisitions are still getting their feet wet). 20ish games left until the big dance starts. This team just feels.......weird? I'm not so sure how to describe it to be honest.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Great post.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm still not convinced this team is built for playoff hockey. Willing to give it time though (acquisitions are still getting their feet wet). 20ish games left until the big dance starts. This team just feels.......weird? I'm not so sure how to describe it to be honest.

For all of their faults it's their goaltending that will sink them. We're getting bottom of the barrel goaltending and are not the the 21-22 Avs to make up for it.

Reactions: CLW and Jim Ramsay

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The leafs are going through the same thing only with a full roster. I can't say for sure this is a dominant playoff team but i can say they are a lot better than our record since we started dealing players. It takes time, we added a lot of players and lost some key ones to injury and suspension and haven't had a practice since. What did we all know we needed at the deadline? 2 RW's that can play in the top 6 and a LD. We added that, and added Motte as well. The organization did their work, now its on the team.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

This is nothing like the dark ages. They had a strategy and it was being executed. They traded for Tarasenko, Mikkola, and Motte and were probably going to add a 3rd/4th line guy to round out the roster and they had the cap space to do exactly that. The situation changed when they had the unexpected opportunity to then acquire Kane for a bag of peanuts, and yes a 2nd and a 4th for Kane is a bag of peanuts and therefore the cap gymnastics happened. So I don't think it was a lack of planning at all. It's just that the situation changed and the team felt the cost was just too little to turn down a trade for a future HOFer and 3 time cup champion and proven playoff performer.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Meh, they played 5 dmen, with two of their top 4 out, this stretch was going to be bad, if only we had Kevin Hayes and traded Kakko for Kane, right?
Kakko was a legit target of Chicago
When they believed or head leverage with Kane.

His game has regressed tremendously. He barely gets to the slot anymore. He can’t even get a shot on goal. He’s been horrendous.
Kakko that is and Kane .

Lose lose

Reactions: EdJovanovski
Jan 8, 2012
NY
The team itself didn't look that bad.

The goaltending though. Right now, I'm more confident with Halak than with Igor. He made one great save today and that's it. Nowhere near good enough.

Reactions: CLW

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Is it an overreaction to want Miller traded? I don't even care what we get back. You don't put your team in that position EVER.
Yes, it is. People get suspended all the time for dumb shit.

As previously stated, the Rangers were in this stupid short bench situation because they traded for the ghost of Kane and had to do cap gymnastics to fit him.

Miller getting suspended at the same time was incredibly unfortunate, but it wasn't him that created this situation - it was Drury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad