We have to trade for Nylander

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Not saying it's a reliable source, but which do people here value more?

Pesce+Roy => Nylander @ 7 x $7.5 (?) two RFA years bought
2019 1st, 2019 2nd, 2019 3rd => Nylander @ 5 x $8.0 ZERO RFA years bought

I'd give up the picks and keep Pesce and Roy

I think the bolded parts I added need to be considered. If you offer sheet the 5 year $40M contract, you get no UFA years bought out. For any organization, that is a lot of control lost. It has to be factored in to the value. I'd easily give up Roy for that value. So now the question is, do you think we won't get better value out of a 1st and 2nd and 3rd than what Pesce brings? This is a deep draft...

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think the bolded parts I added need to be considered. If you offer sheet the 5 year $40M contract, you get no UFA years bought out. For any organization, that is a lot of control lost. It has to be factored in to the value. I'd easily give up Roy for that value. So now the question is, do you think we won't get better value out of a 1st and 2nd and 3rd than what Pesce brings? This is a deep draft...

Better value than a top pairing D signed through 2024? With this franchise's track record? I'd rather have the bird in hand, especially if you are getting Nylander for those 5-7 years.

As we've seen with Hanifin and Lindholm, those picks aren't likely to reach their potential until the end of Nylander's deal.

This isn't a player the Canes currently have control of, so they get 5 years of Nylander or 7. Unless you're signing him to less than 5, you will get no RFA control at the end.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Better value than a top pairing D signed through 2024? With this franchise's track record? I'd rather have the bird in hand, especially if you are getting Nylander for those 5-7 years.

As we've seen with Hanifin and Lindholm, those picks aren't likely to reach their potential until the end of Nylander's deal.

This isn't a player the Canes currently have control of, so they get 5 years of Nylander or 7. Unless you're signing him to less than 5, you will get no RFA control at the end.
I'm with you and would probably do the offersheet, but it is not an easy decision.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Here’s why you don’t offer sheet him. You give up this years 1st which will be a lottery pick even with Nylander, the Leafs win the lottery, draft Hughes and skull f*** the Eastern conference for the next decade.

f***. That.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Here’s why you don’t offer sheet him. You give up this years 1st which will be a lottery pick even with Nylander, the Leafs win the lottery, draft Hughes and skull **** the Eastern conference for the next decade.

****. That.

This is a legitimate risk, I agree. But I do think making the move for Nylander puts the Canes in much better shape for the playoffs, removing that possibility.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Here’s why you don’t offer sheet him. You give up this years 1st which will be a lottery pick even with Nylander, the Leafs win the lottery, draft Hughes and skull **** the Eastern conference for the next decade.

****. That.
I won't be watch them ****ing Lefs bypass another Finn for 1OA. The deals' off!

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
We don't actually know if players do get offered a (pre-)Offer Sheet aplenty, but instead of signing it their agent immediately runs to the former team and gets a deal negotiated around those terms.
You're right about that however it would seem that if Nylander isn't being offered one, then it's probably a safer bet than if player are offered and don't sign.

As a GM, I wouldn't bother. Either I screw up my own cap situation or I've wasted time when the other team matches.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You're right about that however it would seem that if Nylander isn't being offered one, then it's probably a safer bet than if player are offered and don't sign.

As a GM, I wouldn't bother. Either I screw up my own cap situation or I've wasted time when the other team matches.
Well the only colleagues the GMs have are the 30 other guys around the league. A legit Offer Sheet as described in the CBA is a nuclear option that will leave a lot of ill will. I guess what actually goes in the backstage is that the Acquiring Club agree with the Agent on the terms of a vaguely possible Moffer Smeet, and the Agent runs the terms of the vaguely possible Moffer Smeet with the Former Club, and whatever happens after that it isn't an Offer Sheet because no one's Offer Sheeting anyone here.

That's pretty much how the GMs and Agents do their Tampering on pending UFAs prior July 1st.

Crazydounut

Oct 10, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I honestly didn't even think of offer sheeting Nylander at first. But that seems to be the best move. It does seem like Faulk+ isnt going to work and I really dont want us to trade pesce. Giving up a 1st 2nd and 3rd this season is perfectly reasonable (plus we'd be getting him long-term). Especially considering that those picks arent garuntees to be good NHLers and we have a boatload of prospects already and if we sign Nylander chances are we will be a playoff team so that 1st rounder wont be much good.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I can't imagine the Leafs not matching the offer sheet. That's why I don't really consider it an option. They can easily match it and deal with the cap ramifications later. They look to have plenty of cap for this year.

So:
Pesce, Roy vs. Nylander (presumptive incredibly high chance to sign assuming you've kicked around numbers with him)
1st, 2nd, 3rd vs. Nylander (but slim chance the Leafs don't match in my mind)

I'd also consider that having a 1st to add cheap talent to the pipeline with incoming big contracts to Aho, TT, and Nylander would be rather valuable, and that I still think we have some decent near and long term options to cover for the loss of Pesce (though obviously a likely downgrade). That 1st could still end up being pretty high this year as well, even after adding Nylander.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
And offer sheets are even rarer than that.
Or, put another way, offer sheets don't exist.
There's evidence that offer sheets are more common than we think but the big thing with them is that they're usually a last-ditch option. More often than not they're used as leverage in negotiations, not necessarily as something that's signed immediately like they are in the NFL and NBA. Unless a player is given an offer sheet that's absolutely absurd (8m for Nylander isn't absurd, but it's not good value for the Leafs either) or unless talks are going nowhere it's generally not signed by the player.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
On the potential Offer Sheet, there's the procedural knack that once one is signed and it is received by the Former Club, the Former Club will have 7 days after the date it receives the OS to exercise or not exercise the Right of First Refusal.

The SPC needs to be signed and filed with Central Registry by 5 pm New York time on Dec 1st or it is voided and he's back to being a RFA (irredeemably until July 1st).

So there's technically an Offer Sheet deadline on around Nov 23rd unless TML really wants to take the picks rather than screw Nylander and his prospective new team over.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If they won't take Pesce straight up which is fair, then offer sheet his ass.

I'd rather give up 1st 2nd and 3rd than Pesce anyway- we have enough prospects.

I don't get why all the Leafs fans on here are like "We'll just match the offer sheet all day long". If that was the case why don't they just pay the man his money right now.

Is there any chance we face this nonsense with Aho soon?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think Nylander signs an offer sheet before he sits out the year. Toronto will trade him for a better return before that happens though.
If he signs one then they are not allowed to trade him anymore. And if they choose to keep him, they can't trade him for a year from that date.

Last edited:

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Another thing about an offer sheet is to me, it’s only giving up a 1st. We’ll still have Buffalo’s 2nd and 3rd picks, and we are already overloaded with prospects. I think it’s bad form to offer sheet, but better than overpaying. I also think that could give us an edge over Minnesota and LA, as they can’t afford an offer sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad