We have to trade for Nylander

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm sure a lot of teams feel they should trade for Nylander while not giving up anything of substance.
I mean, of course.

I'd say trading Pesce for him would be giving up something of substance. Ideally would like to be able to do something around Faulk+ but not sure he's the best fit for you guys. Of course, given Pesce's contract and Nylander's ask then straight up is a fair deal.
Is Nylander the better player? that's probably a yes. 3 million+ per year better? Absolutely not, not even close.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I mean, of course.

I'd say trading Pesce for him would be giving up something of substance. Ideally would like to be able to do something around Faulk+ but not sure he's the best fit for you guys. Of course, given Pesce's contract and Nylander's ask then straight up is a fair deal.
Is Nylander the better player? that's probably a yes. 3 million+ per year better? Absolutely not, not even close.

Someone put it well on the MB. Nylander is a better player than he is an asset. Pesce is a better asset than he is a player.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I mean, of course.

I really don't see the Leafs trading Nylander simply to get what they can for him. I think they'll let him sit rather than giving him away.
In otherwords, there will be no Hall for Larsson trade.
Keeping in mind that this is much bigger than just Nylander for the Leafs.

Reactions: zman77

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I really don't see the Leafs trading Nylander simply to get what they can for him. I think they'll let him sit rather than giving him away.
In otherwords, there will be no Hall for Larsson trade.
Keeping in mind that this is much bigger than just Nylander for the Leafs.

And that's why I hope Carolina, or someone else, gives him an offer sheet for 5 years for $4oM close to the December 1 deadline. If Toronto won't pay him what he's worth, then they can take the league-mandated value for him.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The team would be way better right now with Nylander rather than Pesce. Pesce is great, and on a great contract, but Faulk/Hamilton are plenty good, and Fleury stepping in is absolutely fine, with McKeown seemingly playing really well in the AHL in that same mold.

Meanwhile, Wallmark, McGinn, and Foegele are not fine. Foegele is struggling very mightily, and he still has the same number of goals as Wallmark and McGinn combined. No matter where you slide Nylander in, it's a really big upgrade for the top 9 in both goal scoring and playmaking.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The team would be way better right now with Nylander rather than Pesce. Pesce is great, and on a great contract, but Faulk/Hamilton are plenty good, and Fleury stepping in is absolutely fine, with McKeown seemingly playing really well in the AHL in that same mold.

Meanwhile, Wallmark, McGinn, and Foegele are not fine. Foegele is struggling very mightily, and he still has the same number of goals as Wallmark and McGinn combined. No matter where you slide Nylander in, it's a really big upgrade for the top 9 in both goal scoring and playmaking.

For me, that's not the value I'm trying to assess. Which is more valuable to Carolina?

2019 1st, 2019 2nd, 2019 3rd, and Nylander signed for a 6th and 7th (potentially even 8th) year at a lower cap hit?
-or-
Pesce, and Nylander signed for only 5 years at a higher cap hit.

Carolina has the cap space for Nylander and Aho. Aho will be using Draisaitl as a benchmark either way.

If Toronto is demanding add-ons to Pesce, that only tilts the decision more toward the offer sheet.

Mose

Jul 24, 2018
Pesce is great, and on a great contract, but Faulk/Hamilton are plenty good, and Fleury stepping in is absolutely fine, with McKeown seemingly playing really well in the AHL in that same mold.
I saw the perfect counter to this elsewhere. Trading Pesce means lowering Slavin's performance. Because after 16 games together, it is fair to say that Hamilton detracts from Slavin--who is a team worst -10.
Hamilton is a good goal-scoring defenseman. He is only slightly above average at producing assists. A dozen goals, which would be offset by a playmaking forward, is not worth having a top-of-the-league defenseman turn into an average 1st pairing defenseman. At this point the evidence points toward Slavin being the latter with Hamilton.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad