We have the Cap room!! 2019-20 UFA Targets??

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If you want all those guys playing in the future, where would Keith play.

If you’re keeping Keith longterm, then T2B’s point stands and we can move 2 defensemen

Keith would play with HJ ideally.

DK-HJ
CM-AB
GF/CD-IM

These pairings give you size/defensive ability plus strong offensive ability on all 3 pairings.

Seabrook is not in my plans clearly.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
if Quinn Hughes makes the Canucks next year as many expect at 175lbs...Boqvist can too..obviously these kids need to get stronger, but their skill is undeniable and if they earn it in camp and the preseason not sure either team is going to not roster them because they "might" get tossed around or outworked..that is what camp/pre season is for...to see how they measure up. if they hold their own and yet again for Boqvist, I think they both stick. Coffey and Housley were pretty damn scrawny in an era of giants and goons..they survived because they played smart and avoided the contact..both these kids have to play that way as well.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
if Quinn Hughes makes the Canucks next year as many expect at 175lbs...Boqvist can too..obviously these kids need to get stronger, but their skill is undeniable and if they earn it in camp and the preseason not sure either team is going to not roster them because they "might" get tossed around or outworked..that is what camp/pre season is for...to see how they measure up. if they hold their own and yet again for Boqvist, I think they both stick. Coffey and Housley were pretty damn scrawny in an era of giants and goons..they survived because they played smart and avoided the contact..both these kids have to play that way as well.

Boqvist is 165lbs, though. ;) Soaking wet. He's a kid. He was in highschool 6 months ago. He needs to add that 10lbs+ to get to 175. Just my opinion, obviously.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Keith would play with HJ ideally.

DK-HJ
CM-AB
GF/CD-IM

These pairings give you size/defensive ability plus strong offensive ability on all 3 pairings.

Seabrook is not in my plans clearly.

Gustafsson clearly isn’t in your plans either.

Some guys need to go, but if we’re talking about Jokiharju going because there’s not enough space, that’s a problem.

Move other guys way before Jokiharju. That’s my only point.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Boqvist is 165lbs, though. ;) Soaking wet. He's a kid. He was in highschool 6 months ago. He needs to add that 10lbs+ to get to 175. Just my opinion, obviously.
I understand what you are saying, it is absolutely valid...but I am saying the difference is minimal between the two in stature, they both are slim players that need to get stronger..this is why you have the 10 game rule before sending a kid back to junior..we have that with Boqvist but Vancouver does not with Hughes..Hughes either turns pro or returns to college (he can go AHL as well)...we have the luxury of giving Boqvist 10 games after the pre season to see how he does...if he gets pushed around each night and his offense is minimized than send him back down - no harm...

BUT, if the kid showcases his skillset out there and proves through a solid 10 game stretch he belongs, then why on Earth would we send that down because of fears over his weight? my point is it is up to him to prove it, others his size made it in the NHL and some as superstar players..kid has time to bulk up a bit but no harm in letting him prove us right or wrong instead of just saying this is his size and he can't make it next year...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I understand what you are saying, it is absolutely valid...but I am saying the difference is minimal between the two in stature, they both are slim players that need to get stronger..this is why you have the 10 game rule before sending a kid back to junior..we have that with Boqvist but Vancouver does not with Hughes..Hughes either turns pro or returns to college (he can go AHL as well)...we have the luxury of giving Boqvist 10 games after the pre season to see how he does...if he gets pushed around each night and his offense is minimized than send him back down - no harm...

BUT, if the kid showcases his skillset out there and proves through a solid 10 game stretch he belongs, then why on Earth would we send that down because of fears over his weight? my point is it is up to him to prove it, others his size made it in the NHL and some as superstar players..kid has time to bulk up a bit but no harm in letting him prove us right or wrong instead of just saying this is his size and he can't make it next year...

I'm not really saying that. I expect he adds weight in the offseason, for one. And if the guy comes up here and dominates, then by all means, he should make the team. What I'm saying is, I don't think he'll dominate unless he adds at least another 10lbs of muscle. I'm arguing that we don't just bring him up and throw him to the wolves like some seem to be inclined to do, just because they're in a hurry to watch a better team. That's how you end careers, and ruin the development of players.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm not really saying that. I expect he adds weight in the offseason, for one. And if the guy comes up here and dominates, then by all means, he should make the team. What I'm saying is, I don't think he'll dominate unless he adds at least another 10lbs of muscle. I'm arguing that we don't just bring him up and throw him to the wolves like some seem to be inclined to do, just because they're in a hurry to watch a better team. That's how you end careers, and ruin the development of players.
and for the record, I am not saying Boqvist even makes it next year...I am not convinced of it. my fears of him are still there, his play at the WJC has been a lot like his play this year in the CHL and prior..excellent vision and skating, but pushed around out there at times, bad positional play at others..he has work to do.

but he also seems destined to be a pro player next year. Boqvist can play in the NHL or AHL, so IMO there is no reason he goes back to junior so the 10 game rule becomes useless for him even though I stated it...it is still an option as well. he will have spent a full year in the CHL this season, next year he likely goes to the AHL like Liljegren has and can develop there if he doesn't make the Hawks.

I think Mitchell has a strong shot at making the team and same as Krys who can play on the LD side we need if we move out Forsling...

I am not sure Boqvist is ready for the Hawks next season based off of what I have been seeing this year and not just on his height/weight...he has time to prove us all right or wrong and I honestly think he gets every chance to do so in camp depending on what we do by the deadline or draft with trades.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Whoever Stan signs as a FA (and I hope he doesn't as there is no quick fix) there f***ing better be zero NMC/NTC in any deal. None. If he hasn't learned that lesson then he is the problem and fire his ass.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Whoever Stan signs as a FA (and I hope he doesn't as there is no quick fix) there ****ing better be zero NMC/NTC in any deal. None. If he hasn't learned that lesson then he is the problem and fire his ass.
that will between SB and the players agent..... and how important that is for the player ....

GroovyHawksFan

Dec 31, 2018
Regarding whether or not Boqvist will be on the NHL roster next season: Remember that we do have a number of other high-end defensive prospects who could also make the jump next year and only have so many D roster spots to go around.

There is a good chance that even if Boqvist is NHL ready come October, he will be less ready than one or more of those other prospects, in which case the logical thing to do would be to send Boqvist to the minors to keep developing. Right now it is way to early to tell which of our D prospects are most NHL ready and/or whether or not any of the defensemen on our current roster gets moved out, so this should really be a discussion for training camp when we will get a much better look at our peeps in the pipeline.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
:huh:

Whatever. Lol. If you can't see how being physically stronger helps him, then idk what to say. If you can't see why I'm hesitant to throw a 165lb child into the NHL, when there's no reason to rush him, then there's no point in discussing it.

Exactly why I said agree to disagree. I don’t think an extra 15 will stop somebody from trying to run him into the third row, whether he’s 165, 175, 185. You pick one. Won’t matter.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Exactly why I said agree to disagree. I don’t think an extra 15 will stop somebody from trying to run him into the third row, whether he’s 165, 175, 185. You pick one. Won’t matter.

Being stronger absolutely helps that, though... Stronger and faster = easier for him to avoid those types of hits. Like Keith has done through the majority of his career.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Boqvist will start in Rockford next season.

Hawks understand he's a long term prospect and that they need to be patient. No need to rush him. This has always been the plan since he got drafted.

Mitchell will be the one to make the roster. He's the most NHL ready. Then there's an outside chance that Krys or Beaudin nab a LD spot, but they're both most likely to start in Rockford.

Keith-Jokiharju
Gus-Mitchell
Dahlstrom-Murphy
Seabs

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Who is saying do that?

Maybe I understood incorrectly, but I thought @Toews2Bickell was talking about the longterm (3-5 years) picture of the defense and how it is loaded unless some people move.

I don’t think he was saying Boqvist comes up next year, and I know I certainly wasn’t.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Whoever Stan signs as a FA (and I hope he doesn't as there is no quick fix) there ****ing better be zero NMC/NTC in any deal. None. If he hasn't learned that lesson then he is the problem and fire his ass.

You probably don’t get Panarin or Stone without an NMC. Certainly not Panarin as he already learned how quickly he can get screwed by not having one.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Who is saying do that?

Maybe I understood incorrectly, but I thought @Toews2Bickell was talking about the longterm (3-5 years) picture of the defense and how it is loaded unless some people move.

I don’t think he was saying Boqvist comes up next year, and I know I certainly wasn’t.

I've seen lots of people on here talk about Boqvist being on this team next year. And penciling him into every lineup. When he's likely a long-shot to make the team.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I've seen lots of people on here talk about Boqvist being on this team next year. And penciling him into every lineup. When he's likely a long-shot to make the team.

Ahh, I don’t expect him here next year.

When I list defensive lineups with him, I’m talking in the next 3-5 years. Maybe I didn’t make that clear enough and derailed the conversation a bit.

I’m pretty sure I’m on the record saying I want him to play against men in the AHL next year.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Gustafsson clearly isn’t in your plans either.

Some guys need to go, but if we’re talking about Jokiharju going because there’s not enough space, that’s a problem.

Move other guys way before Jokiharju. That’s my only point.

He is not in plans because I think the return on him is really high. If it is not then you keep him. We are in a good spot on this.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Long shot is an exaggeration imo. He is so skilled that he has a legit chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad